Starting Cornerbacks

Luxy312

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it stems from Williams and Gilmore getting the majority of first team snaps during the OTA and minicamp.

McGee's been rehabbing and apparently he's getting close. However I have almost no confidence that McGee can stay healthy. He's played a lot of games in this league (90) and he's missed a ton of games. He's pretty old, very injury-prone, and not terribly big. A marvelous player in his time and I hope he can give the Bills a good season… something he hasn't done in awhile.

As for McKelvin the Bills said last week what a great attitude McKelvin has and how even after he was demoted last year that he approached the coaches and asked to return kicks and punts and continued to work hard in practice. Leodis has some shortcomings but he seems like a good kid.

On top of that he's talented and in the last year of his contract. I think/hope that Leodis has an exceptional year for us.

Rogers and Brooks look like players so I won't be surprised if McGee doesn't make it.

All of that makes complete sense to me, and I agree that I think Williams and Gilmore will start week 1 and McGee will likely be a final cut.

I was just curious where the depth chart the OP referred to came from, but if he's going based on minicamp, then that makes more sense.

I too wouldn't be suprised if McGee is cut. If we plan on going with 6 I've got:

Williams

Gilmore

Rogers

Brooks

McKelvin

McGee

with McGee being the dinosaur of the group it's not a suprise that he wouldn't make it. Especially if he's still having Amy kind of injury issues in camp. If he's gonna stay he better be healthy, show he's healthy, and show he can stay healthy. Did I miss someone at CB?

Only way Mcgee does not make it out of camp is another injury. The Bills restructured his contract into a very team friendly one. You got 4 good/promising young CBs in Williams, Gilmore, Rogers, and Brooks. But you need a good solid Vet around, especially for the rookies. McGee seems like the front runner for that. He has never been in any kind of trouble, seems very classy. Fingers crossed he has an injury free 2012.

I too wouldn't be suprised if McGee is cut. If we plan on going with 6 I've got:

Williams

Gilmore

Rogers

Brooks

McKelvin

McGee

with McGee being the dinosaur of the group it's not a suprise that he wouldn't make it. Especially if he's still having Amy kind of injury issues in camp. If he's gonna stay he better be healthy, show he's healthy, and show he can stay healthy. Did I miss someone at CB?

Like ATL said, the contract he signed makes it highly unlikely he is cut. His number is great but if there was no restructuring of his contract he'd not be here. He's still better then DFlo, who regardless moved on to a better situation as likely a nickel for Denver.

I think McKelvin will make the team, I think that he is better than a Rodgers and Brooks at the moment. I think that two out of the three McKevlin, Williams, and Gilmore will be the starters, while McGee will return to the slot (A spot where he is best), and the loser out of the three will be the first guy off the bench. Brooks and Rodgers will come in at the 5th and 6th corners.

I think McKelvin will make the team, I think that he is better than a Rodgers and Brooks at the moment. I think that two out of the three McKevlin, Williams, and Gilmore will be the starters, while McGee will return to the slot (A spot where he is best), and the loser out of the three will be the first guy off the bench. Brooks and Rodgers will come in at the 5th and 6th corners.

carrying 6 CB's and 4 S's? Lets figure 7DL, and 5 LB's? I think we only need to carry 5 LB's personally, there is no reason to keep a few of those guys on the roster when they won't contribute as much as a nickelback or defensive role player. I expect at least 2 LB's on the practice squad, one of them being Tank.

I personally hope that mggee IS on the roster come opening day and that he is healthy.....

because honestly...he is fricken GOOD....when healthy

:thumbsup:

I'm not ready to write off McGee of either. I still think the guy has some useful games left in the tank. Brooks is an interesting guy, we took him high enough to warrent a roster spot. The guy plays violent but did not start at LSU because he was backing up arguably the two best corners in College Football. Looking forward to see if Brooks he can cover on the outside....

Like ATL said, the contract he signed makes it highly unlikely he is cut. His number is great but if there was no restructuring of his contract he'd not be here. He's still better then DFlo, who regardless moved on to a better situation as likely a nickel for Denver.

I agree with this. The restructuring is the only reason why he is here and Flo is in Denver right now. McGee unfortunately can't make it 1 game without getting injured. Of he has any kind of nagging injuries in camp he will be seriously looked at with special glasses.

Edited by mrags

Ron Brooks and Gillmore with be the starting CB's by the end of the year. McKelvin and Williams will likely see a lot of time in the nickle. I'm not sure if McGee has much left in the tank.

I honestly believe that if Brooks didn't play for a LOADED LSU team last year that he would have projected as a 1st rounder.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I personally think Rogers has shown an awful lot in a limited amount of time......

Between that and his return skills.....could be something there

I'm with you on Rogers as well. He's behind only McGee on the depth chart right now (besides Williams and Gilmore as starters of course). I thought the Bills picked Brooks for his special teams play and were going to be using him as a gunner. Brooks does have blazing speed.

Not sure what you're seeing -- But that very link you posted has Williams and Gilmore as first-stringers at CB, and McKelvin as fourth.

BA

Actually, Leodis McKelvin is listed as Other, behind third-stringer Prince Miller, and sharing a cell with Isaiah Green.

Ouch!

What i have read on McKelvin was that letting him OTA as a nickel allowed him to keep the plays in front of him and may be better suited to his um skillset. M and M are battling for the nickel and both "may" be gone this year.

I hope for both of them but it is surely time to decide on them.

i thought that McGee might start over Williams but his last interview said he was not 100% recently.

so its Gilmore and Williams starting i guess

Only way Mcgee does not make it out of camp is another injury. The Bills restructured his contract into a very team friendly one. You got 4 good/promising young CBs in Williams, Gilmore, Rogers, and Brooks. But you need a good solid Vet around, especially for the rookies. McGee seems like the front runner for that. He has never been in any kind of trouble, seems very classy. Fingers crossed he has an injury free 2012.

The point I was making is that I'm pretty skeptical that between now and September 9th against the Jets (45 days), McGee remains healthy.

On another point, the restructuring of McGee's contract makes it easier to keep him but it also makes it easier to cut him.

Finally, there are examples of teams which have won with inexperienced corners. The Bills have nice veteran safeties so to me, having youth at cornerback is a non-concern. Cornerback is a position of instincts and athleticism, IMO.