Starting Cornerbacks

Luxy312

I was just looking at the depth chart this morning and it looks like it will be Gilmore and Williams starting at Cornerback. McKelvin has slid below McGee and even Justin Rogers on the depth chart. Has anyone seen news on this? Is McKelvin going to be relegated to special teams duty?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at the depth chart this morning and it looks like it will be Gilmore and Williams starting at Cornerback. McKelvin has slid below McGee and even Justin Rogers on the depth chart. Has anyone seen news on this? Is McKelvin going to be relegated to special teams duty?

He was a beast at gunner and PR last year. Seems to have his fumbling problems behind him. McKelvins biggest problem isnt coverage, he is usually with the man, he just has zero ball skills

He was a beast at gunner and PR last year. Seems to have his fumbling problems behind him. McKelvins biggest problem isnt coverage, he is usually with the man, he just has zero ball skills

I was thinking exactly that. Maybe he will simply focus on special teams and not be anything but depth for nickel and dime packages.

i think that we will find out a lot more between now and the start of the season. we still have to go through camp and preseason, and i am more interested to see how many and who they keep as opposed to who the two guys are that get announced before game time.

This bills team is a team biult to beat New England and dethrone them

- Large corners will start because the pats deploy 2 TE sets (and just signed another one)

- You will see a lot of extra safetie sets against the pats taking a linebacker off the field.....also countering the multiple TE formations

Expect to see a lot of Scott and Searcy on the field in Pats games

Like Jauron said, you can never have enough good corners. :devil:

That and he seems to always be just a half step out of position in coverage. He's not terrible just not a quality starting caliber CB.

McKelvin seems to have trouble with his back turned to the QB and timing his leaps (also with back to qb), he has great speed and very good tackling ability which makes me wonder if he would be better suited as a free safety rather than CB. I know most safeties have better ball skills than Leodis, but he seems to have lots of confidence catching the ball when he is facing it (ie rolling punts, punts, kickoffs) His return skills are also very good on both Kicks and punts, pair that with his reasonable salary this season and i think he sticks. I think gilmore and williams are both going to be starters on the outside with mcgee moving gilmore inside to be joined by quicker brooks (mostly to cover Gronkowski and welker). Dont get me wrong i dont think leodis is better than Byrd, just think he has a skill set better suited for FS.

McKelvin seems to have trouble with his back turned to the QB and timing his leaps (also with back to qb), he has great speed and very good tackling ability which makes me wonder if he would be better suited as a free safety rather than CB. I know most safeties have better ball skills than Leodis, but he seems to have lots of confidence catching the ball when he is facing it (ie rolling punts, punts, kickoffs) His return skills are also very good on both Kicks and punts, pair that with his reasonable salary this season and i think he sticks. I think gilmore and williams are both going to be starters on the outside with mcgee moving gilmore inside to be joined by quicker brooks (mostly to cover Gronkowski and welker). Dont get me wrong i dont think leodis is better than Byrd, just think he has a skill set better suited for FS.

At 5-10 and only 186 pounds, McKelvin isn't suited to play FS. At FS, Byrd outweighs him by almost 20 pounds. At SS, Wilson outweighs him by 30. McKelvin simply doesn't have the physical tools to play safety.

I wouldn't make to much of this yet, will wait to see how things sort themselves out at Camp.....

I am not sure what Wanny's Defense demands of corners but I will say the position seems to be a tough adjustment for rookies in general. I really like the Gilmore pick and he seems to be a "quick study/film guy" but you look at Patrick Peterson last year, yes he was devastating as a return man but he had a lot of hiccups in coverage. CB is a nuanced position Williams and Gilmore don't have much experience so if they are a starters week 1, I hope its because they outplayed the other options in camp.

Aaron will be one of the top 10 best CB's in the NFL in 2012.

I wouldn't make to much of this yet, will wait to see how things sort themselves out at Camp.....

I am not sure what Wanny's Defense demands of corners but I will say the position seems to be a tough adjustment for rookies in general. I really like the Gilmore pick and he seems to be a "quick study/film guy" but you look at Patrick Peterson last year, yes he was devastating as a return man but he had a lot of hiccups in coverage. CB is a nuanced position Williams and Gilmore don't have much experience so if they are a starters week 1, I hope its because they outplayed the other options in camp.

I think Gilmore is gonna end up being a better corner then Patrick Peterson

At some point you stop nursing him and cut him. It's one of those things when you know the team has really improved when it can cut a "player" like McKelvin.

He's in his last year of rookie contract I believe. So we'll see what happens with him.

Curious where you're seeing this?

According to the depth chart on the Bills' official website, McKelvin and McGee are listed as 1st string:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart.html

:unsure:

I think Gilmore is gonna end up being a better corner then Patrick Peterson

Yeh I really like Gilmore, he seems like a technician with good instincts and an ability to lay the wood. My point isn't who will better e.g., player x or player y, what I wanted to emphasize is that that corners take more time to develop than say an RB, interior O-line, D-line or LB. I don't think you can just plug and play them unlike some other positions - CB's need to learn the nuances of the game, and if means that Gilmore or Williams end up as a nickle or dime corner to start I'm fine with that.

According to the depth chart on the Bills' official website, McKelvin and McGee are listed as 1st string:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart.html

Thanks for actually doing some fact checking.

Yeh I really like Gilmore, he seems like a technician with good instincts and an ability to lay the wood. My point isn't who will better e.g., player x or player y, what I wanted to emphasize is that that corners take more time to develop than say an RB, interior O-line, D-line or LB. I don't think you can just plug and play them unlike some other positions - CB's need to learn the nuances of the game, and if means that Gilmore or Williams end up as a nickle or dime corner to start I'm fine with that.

Thanks for actually doing some fact checking.

Just some food for thought (and I do see your point)

Patrick Peterson does not have a pass rush in front of him like Gilmore will.....

http://www.buffalobi...epth-chart.html

I think it stems from Williams and Gilmore getting the majority of first team snaps during the OTA and minicamp.

McGee's been rehabbing and apparently he's getting close. However I have almost no confidence that McGee can stay healthy. He's played a lot of games in this league (90) and he's missed a ton of games. He's pretty old, very injury-prone, and not terribly big. A marvelous player in his time and I hope he can give the Bills a good season… something he hasn't done in awhile.

As for McKelvin the Bills said last week what a great attitude McKelvin has and how even after he was demoted last year that he approached the coaches and asked to return kicks and punts and continued to work hard in practice. Leodis has some shortcomings but he seems like a good kid.

On top of that he's talented and in the last year of his contract. I think/hope that Leodis has an exceptional year for us.

Rogers and Brooks look like players so I won't be surprised if McGee doesn't make it.