Kelsay Story

Thought I'd share this story with many of you who wouldn't see it otherwise. It ran in Nebraska's statewide paper, the OMaha World-Herald. The Kelsays are from my hometown, and I know all of Auburn is very proud and excited to see Chris continue to mature and develop as a force in the NFL.

Kelsay proud of Bills

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The Buffalo Bills have a lot riding on their regular-season finale Sunday against Pittsburgh.

A victory could put Buffalo in the playoffs after starting 0-4 - something that's happened just once in NFL history - and complete the most dramatic turnaround ever for the franchise.

It's heady stuff for a 25-year-old defensive end from Auburn, Neb., but Chris Kelsay isn't making too much of the situation.

"The way I look at it," he said, "I need to go out there and have a blast, just like I have the last five, six weeks. I'm proud and humbled by our success, but I'm not going to do anything other than work hard and try to do my little part to win this game."

Kelsay, a three-year starter and 2002 captain at Nebraska, has done his part all year for the Bills. The second-year pro, drafted in the second round in 2003, wrestled a starting position away from Ryan Denney this year and contributed in a big way to the Bills' resurgence.

The Buffalo defense ranks third in the NFL and has allowed 14.8 points a game in a current six-game winning streak. Kelsay has started eight games this season, registering 30 total tackles, 41/2 sacks, two fumble recoveries and one interception.

The Bills have won nine of 11 games after the 0-4 start to become contenders for an AFC wild-card spot.

They need a win at home Saturday over the 14-1 Steelers and a loss from either the New York Jets or Denver. The Jets play at St. Louis, and Denver hosts Indianapolis.

"The way we've been playing," Kelsay said, "we feel like we can line up and play with anybody. We feel like we can beat anybody."

Kelsay played on special teams in every game last year as a rookie, but he wanted more. He said he needed that first year to adjust to the professional style of play. Even warnings from older brother Chad, another former NU star and two-year pro with the Steelers, could not prepare Chris for the NFL.

"The transition is even more difficult than going from high school to college," Chris Kelsay said. "Every single player is the best of the best. But a huge part of it is confidence. And where my brother did help me was in telling me how to carry myself."

Kelsay said he earned respect from veterans of the Buffalo defense like Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy and London Fletcher by simply laying low as a rookie.

"I just went about my business and did what was asked of me," he said.

Then in the offseason, Kelsay went to work. He arrived in training camp last summer determined to win the starting spot.

"There's nothing magical about what he's done," Chad Kelsay said. "I know that he went out and made it his focus that he was going to start this year. The coaches said it was there for the taking. And at that level, you've just got to go out and perform."

Chris Kelsay said he likes the idea of facing Pittsburgh with everything on the line Sunday. The Steelers have won an NFL-best 13 straight games, already clinching home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Pittsburgh may rest some of its top players Sunday.

"Regardless of their situation, they want to win this game, too," Chris Kelsay said. "This is not a business where you take anybody lightly."

And it's certainly not a business where you can make any assumptions.

Back in the fall, the Kelsay brothers booked a postseason vacation to Cancun. At the time, Chad Kelsay said, the Bills didn't look destined for the playoffs.

Still, they made the plans for February - well clear of the Super Bowl.

"It's a good thing we're not going in January, or he may not be there," Chad Kelsay said. "You never know what's going to happen."