Patriots sign TE Visanthe Shiancoe

NewEra

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful they deal Gronk after the deal they gave him. Hernandez I can see, because he's looking for WR money.

Upcoming contracts certainly another angle to consider. Kraft is cheap and quick to react. Wouldn't surprise me if was a warning to other rostered TEs and their agents who may have been hinting they're worth more somewhere else.

Upcoming contracts certainly another angle to consider. Kraft is cheap and quick to react. Wouldn't surprise me if was a warning to other rostered TEs and their agents who may have been hinting they're worth more somewhere else.

Hernandez has 2 years left on his contract, but he's already squawking about a new deal after Gronk got one. But he'd be worth more somewhere else because someone will pay him more than the Pats probably want to, and he'll do well in other places.

Yea, that season he had josh mcdaniels calling the offense and nothing close to Brady throwing...now he has mcdaniels and Brady, you would be crazy to think he won't have his best year since his last with mcdaniels...maybe even better. He's a damn good reciever.

He's a JAG who had 1 damn good season. He's bounced-around because he's a head case. No to mention he's 31. I'd be surprised if he even eclipses 800 yards since at best I see him taking catches and yards away from Branch.

Edited by Doc

The Patriots are slipping. They have done unconventional things, signed players no one thought could still play, and have gotten more out of players than their previous teams. They've become infamous for their creativity. Just because that has worked in the past, doesn't mean it always does or will. I think they struggle this year. I think Shiancoe does very little for them.

I also think Ocho and Moss have big years. Then I believe the questions of whether the Patriots really know what they are doing start to get asked.

Edited by Triple Threat

He's a JAG who had 1 damn good season. He's bounced-around because he's a head case. No to mention he's 31. I'd be surprised if he even eclipses 8000 yards since at best I see him taking catches and yards away from Branch.

:blink: I think many people would be surprised.

I do not think the combination of WR's in NE's roster are that dangerous. I think Brady makes them dangerous. If Lloyd breaks 800 yards I would be shocked. At best I see him with 60 touches, 500 yards.

Edited by jboyst62

:blink: I think many people would be surprised.

I do not think the combination of WR's in NE's roster are that dangerous. I think Brady makes them dangerous. If Lloyd breaks 800 yards I would be shocked. At best I see him with 60 touches, 500 yards.

Ooops. Fixed it.

Hernandez has 2 years left on his contract, but he's already squawking about a new deal after Gronk got one. But he'd be worth more somewhere else because someone will pay him more than the Pats probably want to, and he'll do well in other places.

Yeah, and Krafty has shown his personnel strategy which Im sure he derives from his business: isolate and identify a few guys to protect as your core, giving them the keys to the kingdom. For them seems like it's Brady, Gronk & (maybe) Wilfork. Any lip from anyone else be quick to show em your leverage. Welker being the latest example.

Brandon Lloyd, one of the best deep threat WR in the game and in IMO top 3 hands in the game behind Johnson and Fitz.

Lloyd isn't really a great deep threat. Granted he is pretty good BUT he isn't a Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, or Desean Jackson type burner where you have to account for them on every play.

Lloyd had a great year with the deep ball in Denver in 2010 but outside of that one year he has never been an elite deep threat. I suspect he will help the Pats* but he won't suddenly open up the Pats* offense like Randy Moss did.

1343187179[/url]' post='2512389']

Lloyd isn't really a great deep threat. Granted he is pretty good BUT he isn't a Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, or Desean Jackson type burner where you have to account for them on every play.

Lloyd had a great year with the deep ball in Denver in 2010 but outside of that one year he has never been an elite deep threat. I suspect he will help the Pats* but he won't suddenly open up the Pats* offense like Randy Moss did.

Maybe not like Randy Moss, but he'll open it up for sure. He's a good WR that hasn't had the best QBs throwing him the ball. With Brady, I expect him to have a a big year. They're going to be tough. Real tough.

Look for the Patriots to pull a Richard Seymour... and deal Gronk or Hernandez (maybe at the end of this year) for a first round pick. They are preparing for it now.

Ahh yes, what is otherwise known as the "Philadelphia Flyers" approach to team building. Sign your guys to big contracts and trade them shortly there after.

TThey'll put him in a play every now and again to scare the s___t ou of us. -AND it'll work.

There's no coverage that will work on these talented tight ends, and this confident, accurate Quarterback.

This was yet another excellent pickup by the Pats.

The Patriots are slipping. They have done unconventional things, signed players no one thought could still play, and have gotten more out of players than their previous teams. They've become infamous for their creativity. Just because that has worked in the past, doesn't mean it always does or will. I think they struggle this year. I think Shiancoe does very little for them.

I also think Ocho and Moss have big years. Then I believe the questions of whether the Patriots really know what they are doing start to get asked.

This.

Case and point: Albert Haynesworth, Chad Johnson, Alge Crumpler, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, Fred Taylor, and Donte Stallworth. The New England Patriots love signing players who may be past their prime and hope that player turns it around. Which, in early years, seemed to work, like with Randy Moss or Junior Seau. The problem is, lately, this just hasn't been working out for them in terms of getting a lot from that player. Which, based on their record in recent years, hasn't mattered at all.

It's relitively cheap to do this and doesn't bind them to the player long term. The only problem I see with what they are doing is, it takes time away from rookies developing and building from within. So they aren't building a core of young players. This is compounded by the fact that they have been missing on recent draft picks. Sooner or later, one would think(or hope)that effects of this will be seen. But maybe with Brady, they don't need to.

The dichotomy of posters really amuses me. You have the group who believe the Pats* can do no wrong and this is a brilliant move, and the group who believe the Pats* are reaching and trying to prove they're smarter than everyone else.

This is Visanthe freaking Shiancoe, folks. 32 years young. Folks were beating down his door so fiercely he just signed a one-year contract a day before training camp.

It's only "big" news because the Pats* did it. If he had signed with Philly there would have been a deafening yawn.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I cannot understand what the goal is here? The guy has a chance to be on a roster this fall and here he will be no more then the third TE. I guess this is more of an insurance policy for Gronk.

Jake Ballard - 2 yrs (also from the Giants)

Daniel Fells - 5 yrs

Gronk - 3 yrs

Brad Herman - Rookie

Hernandez - 3 yrs

Tyler Urban - Rookie

Now Shiancoe?! Is this going to be something that will help them stop the pass rush? If there was a problem with starters I would understand this issue but by week 4 Shiancoe is just another backup when Fells comes back and Ballard is a wildcard.

using 5 TE sets is the new spread offense :D

Refresh my memory. What do the Patriots do when they want to go long?

Hernadez

So whats with the Pats offense are they going to run a team with nothing but TE's I am very confused :wallbash:

During the playoffs, the Pats* lined up Hernandez in the backfield on occassion. My guess is that they will do more of that this year and have Visanthe as the second tight end with Gronk.

The dichotomy of posters really amuses me. You have the group who believe the Pats* can do no wrong and this is a brilliant move, and the group who believe the Pats* are reaching and trying to prove they're smarter than everyone else.

This is Visanthe freaking Shiancoe, folks. 32 years young. Folks were beating down his door so fiercely he just signed a one-year contract a day before training camp.

It's only "big" news because the Pats* did it. If he had signed with Philly there would have been a deafening yawn.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I agree with this as well.

Because it happened in the Bills division, its massive news. When in reality its not big news at all. They do this quite frequently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.