It needs to be said

Several offensive players have stepped up over the last few weeks. When people cite their reasons for the turnaround Willis and Lee are generally pretty high up on the list. Then you can go into better o-line play, improved field position etc...

One of the most overlooked aspects of the turnaround has been the improved play of Drew Bledsoe. Over the last 6 wins Drew has posted a QB rating of 87.9. While the statistics indicate improved play they don't tell the whole story. Drew is making smart throws, avoiding sacks, and managing games better then he ever has. Yes he has had the occasional mental lapse but overall he is playing like the old Drew lately.

The point folks is the guy takes a lot of crap when he is playing poorly, the least we could do as fans is give him credit when things are going well.

BILLS PLAYOFFS 05'

Wyche said something interesting on NFL network today. They asked him about Bledsoe's turnaround, and Wyche said something like, "You know, I try to get into the meetings as late as possible. You know, sometimes the best way to coach a vet is to just stay out of his way. I'll sometimes correct some bad habits that occasionally creep into everyone's routine, regardless of profession, but overall you just let him be."

Excellent point, Sam. While people here critized DB earlier this year for some bad mechanics ("He's an 11 year vet, he shouldn't make mistakes!"), how many people here can say that they don't have any bad habits at their job?

CW

The thing about Drew, and it can be said for pretty much all QBs, is that when he plays with confidence, he can play well. When he doesn't, he's the best player for the opposing team, ya dig?

Right now, Drew isn't playing extraordinary football - but he is playing with confidence. Not only does that benefit his own game (his pocket awareness seems to have improved a lot), but since he's the quarterback, it also rubs off on the others.

Bledsoe is right when he says the usaual party line that QNs and HCs say that they are given too much blame for losses and too much credit for wins in what is the ultimate team game in pro sports.

I think Bledsoe has performed at about the same level as an athlete at all points in his career as a Bill. However, the productivity in terms of W/Ls and stats have varied drastically depending upon whether the OC puts him a position to do the things he does well and minimizes the times he is required to do things that he does poorly.

I think the biggest increase in Bledsoe's productivity is that we are asking him to do a lot less and when the part of his game that is removed are the parts where his play creates the most mistakes we do extraordinarily well because the rest of the TEAM in terms of the ST and D are playing so well.

Clements as opposed to Kevin Killdrive is calling an O game which uses Drew's powerful arm as a consistent threat and a change-up rather than relying upon his arm and brain to win the game for us. I think when a team relies too much on Drew he can go into his all too familiar pat and locking in on his favorite receiver (usually Moulds in our O) and interceptions happen.

A second big switch is that according to Bledsoe himself they have limited the number and types of audibles he can call. I think this had made the offense even less pass happy and simplified the options for the receivers and for Bledsoe as well who is a great guy in termd of character but no one would mistake him for a rocket scientist.

The third big change in the O is that Clements and Mm have realized that though Bledsoe is much better throwing from a pocket, this does not mean that he is totally incapable of throwing on the move and even recognizing that the safey is going wide or dropping back and he runs the QB draw.

I think Kevin Killdrive made the mistake of operating in a way that because Bledsoe is not as accurate rolling out as he is standing still he rarely called the rollout pass. As seen on the TD throw Sunday to Evans on a rollout, Clements has mixed this into the repetoire. Bledsoe is not asked to do this all the time (and probably not on 3rd down so he can comfortably throw the ball OB if the receiver is closely marked) its a a great tool to have in the repetoire and makes it harder for blitzers to sell out going straight upfield looking for the sack.

I think Bledsoe's production has improved a lot because we ask to do more with less.

Well playing in Jimbo's shadow does and can make a QB very tense. He is playing alot better but that's really due because everyone around him started it!

The only QB in the NFL right now who can carry a team all by himself is Peyton. No one else is even close.

I think Kevin Killdrive made the mistake of operating in a way that because Bledsoe is not as accurate rolling out as he is standing still he rarely called the rollout pass.  As seen on the TD throw Sunday to Evans on a rollout, Clements has mixed this into the repetoire.  Bledsoe is not asked to do this all the time (and probably not on 3rd down so he can comfortably throw the ball OB if the receiver is closely marked) its a a great tool to have in the repetoire and makes it harder for blitzers to sell out going straight upfield looking for the sack.

I get so sick of hearing this BS. Bledsoe has been extremely efficient throwing the ball on designed rollouts. He did it against the Titans last year not once, but twice (Shaw was a bonehead and raised the ball in the air on the 2nd one, dropping it, giving us the loss). He may not be "as accurate rolling out," but no QB is. It's simple physics. But to say that the previous regime didn't have DB rollout much is simply revisionist history.

CW