An Ethical Quandary

The Big Cat

The husband of one of our firm's principals/CFO died suddenly last week. It's horribly sad and frightening the way he went, but my colleague (his wife) has been as strong and resilient as one could be through a tragedy like this, and she's working tirelessly to celebrate his legacy and his loves: golf, photography and the Ohio State University.

We'll be attending his funeral tomorrow afternoon and on the back of our President/CEO's chair are about a half dozen OSU ties (seemingly equal to the number of gentlemen working in our office).

I have no problem wearing one, in fact I'd be heavenly delighted to look upon my own funeral and see all the attendants donning Bills gear.

But...one of our Senior Associates is a Michigan grad, and he's none to sure about the prospect of wearing anything that honors OSU.

I don't have any strong college allegiances, but I wouldn't be terribly shook up if I had to wear a Patriots* tie if push came to shove.

Perhaps I don't feel any rivalry as bitter as OSU v UM, so I put it to you. If you were him, would you suck it up and wear the Buckeyes tie?

As much as I understand that it is the greatest/most bitter rivalry across all levels of anything, I think in this case I would suck it up since the rivalry is about Sports, and this is dealing with real life.

It would be a tough one, and I understand the guy's hesitance, but... just put on the fuggin tie!

If you were him, would you suck it up and wear the Buckeyes tie?

Hell no. Novelty ties are tacky as all hell.

But since your colleague's only objection seems to be, "boo hoo I'm a Missshhhigan fan," yeah, probably.

there are times to put those things aside and celebrate the man and not the team...i get the rivalry, but this is about your colleague and honoring him...if he wants to keep the karma gods away...wear Michigan Blue under his clothes...that will negate any bad things, man...but on the outside support & honor your colleague/friend!

The husband of one of our firm's principals/CFO died suddenly last week. It's horribly sad and frightening the way he went, but my colleague (his wife) has been as strong and resilient as one could be through a tragedy like this, and she's working tirelessly to celebrate his legacy and his loves: golf, photography and the Ohio State University.

We'll be attending his funeral tomorrow afternoon and on the back of our President/CEO's chair are about a half dozen OSU ties (seemingly equal to the number of gentlemen working in our office).

I have no problem wearing one, in fact I'd be heavenly delighted to look upon my own funeral and see all the attendants donning Bills gear.

But...one of our Senior Associates is a Michigan grad, and he's none to sure about the prospect of wearing anything that honors OSU.

I don't have any strong college allegiances, but I wouldn't be terribly shook up if I had to wear a Patriots* tie if push came to shove.

Perhaps I don't feel any rivalry as bitter as OSU v UM, so I put it to you. If you were him, would you suck it up and wear the Buckeyes tie?

Edited by The Poojer

Have to ask as to where did the idea of wearing the ties come from . Was it a request by his family , wife. Did he request this in his will or verbally at some point as his personal wish , this either known by all in office or now being conveyed by family? I would seem reasonable to be clear on this before moving forward. Certainly if it be either his or family request it would be very small of anyone to place themselve and their own bias ahead of such a request to wear the ties. It it be a personal show of support , let those who wish to do so be free to do so, this in these terms be very much a personal decision that frankly be no ones elses business and does not deserve any recrimination by anyone else.... imo:)

Now I'm thinking this could be a great way to prank people from beyond the grave. I'd love to force all the Pats fans out here to wear a Bills tie at my funeral.

Funny...reminds me of my buddy Ed. He was a huge Bills fan, like me... living in the middle of Texas, we met about 20 years ago, watching a Bills game at a sports bar, and watched together, every Sunday, until the 2004 season was over...Ed died of a heart attack, at the age of 38. I remember, going to his funeral. A mutual friend of ours, who had a sibling who worked for the Bills, had sent a bouquet of red, white and blue Bills flowers for the top of his casket. His mother, god love her, wanted to make sure Ed was buried in a Bills jesrsey. Ed used to regualrly sport an old-school Thurman jersey, so I figured that would be the choice...instead though, much to my dismay, there he was, lying in the casket, in a Drew Bledsoe jersey. At the cemetary, I just remember his brother John, completely shaken up by the unexpected death, hugged me and said "jeezus...I didn't have the heart to tell my mom that Ed hated Drew Bledsoe!" :lol:

We got a chuckle out of it later, but it seemed so important at the time... this was only a few weeks after the Bills season had ended by losing a "win and your in" game to the Steelers...Drew stunk it up that day....I am sure you all remember!

Wear the damn tie!

That Senior Associate is seriously stunted if he thinks this has anything to do with honoring OSU.

wear the tie!

A friend of mine coaches his daughter's team in boys and girls baseball. He is a huge Yankees fan and the team name is the Red Sox. He marched in the 4th of July parade proudly with his red sox shirt on. This (a death) is much larger than that. I'd wear a clown suit if it was what the deceased wanted and/or it would help the families suffering.

of course not to say after it's all done and over I wouldn't have a nice pic of him with his osu tie on to show others and give him a hard time with :devil: