Miscarriage of Justice

section122

Scrolling through yahoo I came across this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/savannah-dietrich-twitter-sexual-assault-louisville-174732753.html

Long story short; girl was raped by 2 kids and due to their plea deal a gag order was placed. She tweeted out their names so people would know who they were and now she is possibly facing jail time/fines. It is so ridiculous for the courts to protect her attackers and even think of doing these things to her. There is an online petition linked at the bottom of the article but I'll also put it here. Please show your support for this victim!

online petition

What a joke.

The girl was not right in doing what she did but she sure as hell wasn't wrong.

While I know you don't think she was wrong I think she was very right. She only has one recourse after the fact and that is to let everyone know who did this to her. I'd take out an ad in the paper, post on fb, start a twitter, scream it from the mountains etc... She has to live with this forever- and so should they!

The key point - again: she tweeted their names BEFORE SENTENCING. It was only an agreement between prosecutor and defendants, it hadn't yet seen a courtroom. It wasn't a "miscarriage of justice"...it wasn't even a closed case yet.

Basically, she was dumb enough to interfere with her own case. She's getting a fine and probably jail time because she was stupid.

The key point - again: she tweeted their names BEFORE SENTENCING. It was only an agreement between prosecutor and defendants, it hadn't yet seen a courtroom. It wasn't a "miscarriage of justice"...it wasn't even a closed case yet.

Basically, she was dumb enough to interfere with her own case. She's getting a fine and probably jail time because she was stupid.

I would say her plan worked out pretty well in the end.

A gag order on this case is ridiculous to begin with as far as the perps names go, after they were found guilty then their names should be out there. I totally understand not putting them out there during the trial but once their guilt was proven they should have nowhere to hide. The miscarriage would have been if she was locked up. What point would that have made? Not a good one imo...

:thumbsup:

50,000 signatures in under 24 hours is quite the amount of peer pressure. B-)

I would say her plan worked out pretty well in the end.

Yes it did. I hope these kids end up on a registry and have to suffer for the same amount of time she will - the rest of their lives.

Long story short; girl was raped by 2 kids and due to their plea deal a gag order was placed. She tweeted out their names so people would know who they were and now she is possibly facing jail time/fines. It is so ridiculous for the courts to protect her attackers and even think of doing these things to her. There is an online petition linked at the bottom of the article but I'll also put it here. Please show your support for this victim!

I've seen this story several times over the past few days... And everyone keeps saying she was raped. SHE WAS NOT RAPED! She was sexually assaulted which is NOT the same thing. I looked up the Kentucky laws and first degree sexual assault is if you inappropriately touch someone when they're passed out. Kids were obviously in the wrong, but it's a far cry from rape, IMHO.

A gag order on this case is ridiculous to begin with as far as the perps names go, after they were found guilty then their names should be out there. I totally understand not putting them out there during the trial but once their guilt was proven they should have nowhere to hide. The miscarriage would have been if she was locked up. What point would that have made? Not a good one imo...

That's the point: they weren't found guilty. The plea bargain isn't official - and the trial isn't over - until the plea is heard by the court, which hadn't happened yet.

The girl wasn't upset about the final ruling. She was upset about the deal between the prosecution and defendants before it was ruled on (note that I'm getting that from another link, I didn't see it in this one here)...and which the judge may or may not have vacated. But since she tweeted about it, the plea can't get an honest hearing in court. The girl just screwed up the case - to her detriment, no less. If I'm the boys' defense attorney, I'm moving for a mistrial (the boys were denied a fair hearing on their plea by the plaintiff's actions), and already thinking of the appeal if it's not granted.

The girl was stupid, and probably deserves the fine for contempt.

That's the point: they weren't found guilty. The plea bargain isn't official - and the trial isn't over - until the plea is heard by the court, which hadn't happened yet.

The girl wasn't upset about the final ruling. She was upset about the deal between the prosecution and defendants before it was ruled on (note that I'm getting that from another link, I didn't see it in this one here)...and which the judge may or may not have vacated. But since she tweeted about it, the plea can't get an honest hearing in court. The girl just screwed up the case - to her detriment, no less. If I'm the boys' defense attorney, I'm moving for a mistrial (the boys were denied a fair hearing on their plea by the plaintiff's actions), and already thinking of the appeal if it's not granted.

The girl was stupid, and probably deserves the fine for contempt.

They can't get a fair hearing because their names are no longer publicly anonymous?

That's stevestojan.

They can't get a fair hearing because their names are no longer publicly anonymous?

That's stevestojan.

Yeah, because now the judge could feel pressured into denying their plea and taking it to court. Don't believe me? Ask George Zimmerman.

Which, by the way, is not to say I disagree with the girl's action as much as the timing of it. Could have just as easily waited until after the verdict.

Those guys, Will Frey & Austin Zehnder, are kind of screwed. Good luck with the rest of your lives, boys. Oh, well, they deserved it. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale (i.e. you do something like this and payback is a B word) and will stop at least one "assault."

If this happened to my daughter, I would spend the rest of my life making the attacker's life a living Hell.

Note: this video is not about stun guns but a blistering video circulating the web.

Edited by Max Fischer