Penn State sanctions handed down

ACor58

+1

The other "joke" circulating is that they'll put the statue in the library to remind people to keep quiet. I don't find either one to be that funny though.

Agreed. The NCAA has shown there is no offense severe enough for the death penalty anymore. SMU would get a slap on the wrist today.PTR

EXACTLY. If this were UB, the program would be shut down. But no way is the NCAA going to kill one of its cash cows.

Oooooo. No postseason. We won;t be thrilled by Penn State in the "Ticket City Bowl", the "Outback Bowl" or the Capital One Bowl".Big deal.. This team became irrelevant some time ago.What's with the 60 million fine? Where does that go?

Huh? Rose Bowl 4 years ago; 2 BCS bowls in the last 7 years. What is "some time ago?"

Edited by Offsides Number 76

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. The NCAA has shown there is no offense severe enough for the death penalty anymore. SMU would get a slap on the wrist today.

PTR

SMU would have received a slap on the wrist then if the NCAA knew the program would never recover. I agree they have no interest in killing another cash cow school regardless of the circumstances.

By any standards other than the low ones set by the NCAA, PSU is getting off easy. $60MM is pocket change and you can still field a pretty good team with 65 scholarships. I do love the vacated wins part though -- a very deserving FU to scumbag Paterno.

Edited by KD in CT

The fines and penalties levied against Penn State are appropriate. But my biggest beef is that the NCAA itself escapes all blame in this. The NCAA has stood by for years as colleges make millions on their football programs awarding elite athletes with nothing more than scholarships. Wether these kids graduate or not is not their concern as long as they play and bring in the dollars. The money and greed has been shown to fog the judgement of the people in charge more than once.

The other "joke" circulating is that they'll put the statue in the library to remind people to keep quiet. I don't find either one to be that funny though.

EXACTLY. If this were UB, the program would be shut down. But no way is the NCAA going to kill one of its cash cows.

Huh? Rose Bowl 4 years ago; 2 BCS bowls in the last 7 years. What is "some time ago?"

Ok 4 years.

Rose Bowl? That's nice. Winner of the Big Ten goes. Big Ten is also past its prime.

When it comes to football, the NCAA doesn't see the revenues generated by the media rights fees paid to broadcast those games. Football rights are owned by the schools and conferences themselves. It's a cash cow for ESPN and the schools, certainly, but not the NCAA.

That said, the majority of the NCAA's revenues come from TBS and CBS sports and the rights fees paid by them to broadcast the Div. 1 NCAA basketball championships.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I am not a Penn State fan, I am not a Joe Paterno fan. Joe Paterno did not molest any children, Jerry Sandusky did. Joe Paterno was not convicted of a crime! Jerry Sandusky was. This is above and beyond the NCAA's business, Sports. They are not a court of law!

I believe that because children were raped in the showers of Penn State's sports complex by a football coach makes it their business.

I believe that because children were raped in the showers of Penn State's sports complex by a football coach makes it their business.

And Paterno had knowledge but chose to turn a blind eye for "the good of the program." Despicable.

PTR

Not very severe at all.

What are you talking about? This is a walking Death sentence. This is going to take Penn State decades to recover from & I would not be surprised if the Big 10 kicks them out of the league. Couldn't happen to a better university. F Penn State for what the allowed to go on their campus for all these years.

When it comes to football, the NCAA doesn't see the revenues generated by the media rights fees paid to broadcast those games. Football rights are owned by the schools and conferences themselves. It's a cash cow for ESPN and the schools, certainly, but not the NCAA.

That said, the majority of the NCAA's revenues come from TBS and CBS sports and the rights fees paid by them to broadcast the Div. 1 NCAA basketball championships.

GO BILLS!!!

So with that logic, the fact that a team can't compete in any post-season events, therefore having players that can't play for that team in a national championship, reducing the number of high school athletes that want to enroll in Penn State(scholarship athletes) making the product on the field beyond sub-par, reducing ticket sales and merchandise revenues that go to...

Just my opinion.

So with that logic, the fact that a team can't compete in any post-season events, therefore having players that can't play for that team in a national championship, reducing the number of high school athletes that want to enroll in Penn State(scholarship athletes) making the product on the field beyond sub-par, reducing ticket sales and merchandise revenues that go to...

Just my opinion.

I'm not sure where you're going here but if the point is to illustrate that Penn State will be hit financially, yes they will be. It will be curious to see how the Big 10 reacts here as well. One of their higher profile members will not be a major player for a while. Will that conference seek to minimize Penn State's share? It bears watching.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure where you're going here but if the point is to illustrate that Penn State will be hit financially, yes they will be. It will be curious to see how the Big 10 reacts here as well. One of their higher profile members will not be a major player for a while. Will that conference seek to minimize Penn State's share? It bears watching.

GO BILLS!!!

Pretty much where I was going with it just really wasn't sure how to put it in words like you have.

I still think the penalty in itself to the program is minimal depending on, like you said, how things play out with the rest of the conference.

What are you talking about? This is a walking Death sentence. This is going to take Penn State decades to recover from & I would not be surprised if the Big 10 kicks them out of the league. Couldn't happen to a better university. F Penn State for what the allowed to go on their campus for all these years.

Really? Reducing scholarships by 20 and no bowls for four years is harsh?

No football at all until they straighten out priorities would have been the appropriate response.

I hope the Big "10" does kick them out, but it won't happen.

The fines and penalties levied against Penn State are appropriate. But my biggest beef is that the NCAA itself escapes all blame in this. The NCAA has stood by for years as colleges make millions on their football programs awarding elite athletes with nothing more than scholarships. Wether these kids graduate or not is not their concern as long as they play and bring in the dollars. The money and greed has been shown to fog the judgement of the people in charge more than once.

"This" is about a school and football program and coach that harbored a child rapist and is now being punished. "This" isn't the why won't they pay the NCAA football players discussion. Bring your beef there.

I still think the penalty in itself to the program is minimal depending on, like you said, how things play out with the rest of the conference.

I just saw this on SI's site, and hadn't thought about this secondary damage until now. $60 million plus a significant revenue stream. Unfortunately, I bet the effect trickles (floods?) down into other sports, as well.

The Big Ten says Penn State will not be allowed to share in the conference's bowl revenues while it is banned from the postseason by the NCAA.

The Big Ten announced its own sanctions against Penn State about two hours after the NCAA handed down crippling penalties against the Nittany Lions football program.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/07/23/penn-state-big-ten-revenue-sharing.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a3

Pretty much where I was going with it just really wasn't sure how to put it in words like you have.

when all is said and done, 20 years down the road looking back - the financial penalties when you take into account both direct fines and lawsuits, as well as less direct bowl revenue, tv revenue, voided contracts, and keep going further into indirect penalties like players not wanting to go there, generally making the product less valuable, the brand equity both football and university being diminished, merchandise sales..... heck lawyers fees.... the works.....

i wouldnt feel absurd projecting that the final total is closer to a billion in damages than it is 60 million when you start totalling up everything (ie atleast several hundred million) .

Edited by NoSaint

Really? Reducing scholarships by 20 and no bowls for four years is harsh?

No football at all until they straighten out priorities would have been the appropriate response.

I hope the Big "10" does kick them out, but it won't happen.

Honestly this is just like having no football. There is going to be a max exodus of players leaving Happy Valley as the kids are all going to be released from scholarship if they chose. No bowl games may not seem like a big deal but you got to consider that no recruit in there right mind is going want to go there unless they have no other options. Lastly, I know it does not seem like alot but losing 20 scholarships is huge. The recruiters for PSU have -0- room for error under these conditions.

I just saw this on SI's site, and hadn't thought about this secondary damage until now. $60 million plus a significant revenue stream. Unfortunately, I bet the effect trickles (floods?) down into other sports, as well.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/07/23/penn-state-big-ten-revenue-sharing.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a3

Emmert specifically mentioned that PSU was NOT allowed to have the fine negatively impact other athletic programs at the school. Let's hope that's the case.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly this is just like having no football. There is going to be a max exodus of players leaving Happy Valley as the kids are all going to be released from scholarship if they chose. No bowl games may not seem like a big deal but you got to consider that no recruit in there right mind is going want to go there unless they have no other options. Lastly, I know it does not seem like alot but losing 20 scholarships is huge. The recruiters for PSU have -0- room for error under these conditions.

They won't be going to the SEC, that's for sure.

Emmert specifically mentioned that PSU was NOT allowed to have the fine negatively impact other athletic programs at the school. Let's hope that's the case.

GO BILLS!!!

im curious about the terms of everything with regards to the fine. pulling 60m unexpectedly seems like it would have to effect someone, athletic or academic. its on first glance odd that the NCAA would be able to stipulate something like this. not to mention that the AD was also intimately involved with this, not just the football program.