Tim Graham's "Press Coverage" blog

I would still suggest that it's the case. Agree that the division is the Pats' for the taking for as long as Brady is on the team for at least the next two or three seasons. The West is weak tho as is the South. Houston's the strongest team there and they only won 10 games last season. That essentially leaves the North, and yes, Pitt and the Ravens are good, but after that, if we can't edge Cincy for a WC spot, then my original point stands.

Also, we play the West, and other than for Denver w/ Manning now, if this team is really that good should be able to beat the other three teams. We play Cleveland and Jax, 'nuff said there.

Apart from Ne, Pitt, Baltimore, and Denver, the schedule's not tough, and if we can't beat any of those teams at least once or twice, I'm not sure how much of a playoff ready team this would be then.

Make sense?

Like I said, I generally agree with the original point. And I agree that all the teams I mentioned couldn't have 10 wins. I was simply stating that it would be possible for us to get 9-10 wins and not make it. As to the original point, it's not playoffs for bust for me. It's 9 wins. If we get 9 but get edged out of a wildcard because some other team has 10 or a better division record with 9 then how could I be mad at that. 9 wins is respectable. Let's face it, 9 wins would be the best we've had since 99'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? Fork New England! Let's knock the sugar out of Brady and win the freakin' division instead of hoping for a wild card. Fork New England! And Fork Old England, too! :angry:

You joined aug 03...and almost 10 years later decide to post?

win the division first. 9 wins + will be showing improvement. Lets see if we can play strong the last half of the season. Thats how the Giants did it.

But beat the Patriots for division title is the next milestone for me.

Agreed.

They are the type of team who will be going through team cuts to try to bandaid their hemorrhages. They let guys like Dwan Edwards go just to keep Suggs, Lewis and Reed. They let go the guys that made the foundation of their team just to keep the cornerstones. You can only get by on this so long before implosions start, and in their case Suggs was just unfortunate.

Ravens will finish 3rd in their division, disappointing many.

I can see some of the perennial powers taking a step back in 2012… just yesterday I made the case that The Cheatriots**** on offense are a team in decline and that their drafting from 2006-2009 was dreadful.

The difference between the Patsies**** and the Ravens and Steelers is that the latter two teams draft well and have continued to draft well. Both teams have not drafted for need as much as they've gone for the most talented players available.

It's the emphasis of the best player available philosophy that has allowed the Ravens to draft guys like Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw, Tommy Streeter, Sergio Kindle, Torrey Smith and Jimmy Smith as very strong values. Same with Pittsburgh and David DeCastro, Maurkice Pouncey, Cam Heyward, and others. Pittsburgh and Baltimore have mastered the practice of plucking good players in their late value slots while the Cheating Bastards***** still tend to reach for need.

I look for Baltimore and Pittsburgh to remain strong but I do expect New England to step backwards a notch. Which leads to my second point:

Like I said, I generally agree with the original point. And I agree that all the teams I mentioned couldn't have 10 wins. I was simply stating that it would be possible for us to get 9-10 wins and not make it. As to the original point, it's not playoffs for bust for me. It's 9 wins. If we get 9 but get edged out of a wildcard because some other team has 10 or a better division record with 9 then how could I be mad at that. 9 wins is respectable. Let's face it, 9 wins would be the best we've had since 99'.

win the division first. 9 wins + will be showing improvement. Lets see if we can play strong the last half of the season. Thats how the Giants did it.

But beat the Patriots for division title is the next milestone for me.

Nine wins in 2012 would be a huge disappointment for me personally even though I know in our recent poll that 9 wins seems to be the popular consensus.

The Bills had 4 significant injuries at wide receiver, 2 significant injuries at left tackle, a significant injury to Fitz, the loss of Fred Jackson, the loss of Eric Wood and a completely horrible defense.

They still won 6 games.

The depth is way improved as discussed in another current topic… many of the young players who got valuable playing time last year will be contributors this year… not just fill-ins.

While I semi-seriously predict 15 wins for this team I would personally be very disappointed with less than 11 wins.

can somebody interpret this part for me?

"We had to get better players," Bills General Manager Buddy Nix told me, "but we had to keep the good ones we already had. For some reason, we play against good players that came through here all the time."

???

Former Bills, London Fletcher, etc.

Mark Anderson is a starter, Shawne Merriman is a backup!

There's no way for you to know that. Anderson at the height of his talent is a very good player, Merriman at his best is elite. If Merriman is healthy, it's not even a debate who is the starter. At this point with all the declarations of his health being in good standing, it's a giant reach for you to proclaim him as 2nd string.

can somebody interpret this part for me?

"We had to get better players," Bills General Manager Buddy Nix told me, "but we had to keep the good ones we already had. For some reason, we play against good players that came through here all the time."

???

Hes saying we play against good players that are former bills all the time because in the past we have done a poor job of re-signing our good players

Afc isn't as tough as it used to be. Texans, Patriots and ravens are the only two teams that I am almost positive will have a better record than the bills.

Er, isn't that 3 teams?

I wouldn't count Cincy out, or the Stillers. And the Broncos have a good D - so if Manning is healthy, watch out for them broncs.

:devil: : What about the Colts? They drafted their Franchise QB last year! MAN, they're set for the next decade. Everyone know's that's all a team needs to be "dressed for success"!!!! :devil:

Edited by Hopeful

Er, isn't that 3 teams?

I wouldn't count Cincy out, or the Stillers. And the Broncos have a good D - so if Manning is healthy, watch out for them broncs.

:devil: : What about the Colts? They drafted their Franchise QB last year! MAN, they're set for the next decade. Everyone know's that's all a team needs to be "dressed for success"!!!! :devil:

I am not counting out Cinci. I think they're going to have the role of the Jets a couple years ago - get to the playoffs and knock off some big dogs. However, The Steelers are not someone I am penciling in to win their division, either.

The Broncos? Please...I do not worry about them.

I am not counting out Cinci. I think they're going to have the role of the Jets a couple years ago - get to the playoffs and knock off some big dogs. However, The Steelers are not someone I am penciling in to win their division, either.

Why not the Broncos? They have an excellent defense, an excellent offensive line, a really good running game, at least one good WR, Peyton Manning and very good coaching. I expect the Broncos to win the division and be one of the tougher teams in the AFC.

Why not the Broncos? They have an excellent defense, an excellent offensive line, a really good running game, at least one good WR, Peyton Manning and very good coaching. I expect the Broncos to win the division and be one of the tougher teams in the AFC.

Take a gander at that broncos schedule

I agree. The Broncos were a good QB away from being dominant last season. Let alone a first-ballot HOF QB away.

GO BILLS!!!

Hmm, well. The Broncos managed to win the AFC West last year, essentially without a quarterback. Who do you think is going to step up in that division if Denver doesn't? Chargers? Oakland? Chiefs? The Chiefs could be interesting if they install an offense to go with their D.

I thought last year was Oakland's year, but their D wound up fighting the Bills for last place in the AFC and I don't know's they've managed to do so much to potentially improve other than change coaches, which works -- sometimes. I think Denver has a defense on the rise, and if they have a quarterback, I say again, watch out.

Steelers will be interesting. In terms of talent, they absolutely should win their division. In terms of the tool they hired as their OC, if anyone can mess up the Steelers well-proven chemistry and confidence, Todd Haley's that man.

Take a gander at that broncos schedule

"The most difficult schedule in NFL history"? Give me a break. If Manning can play and they split their division, they should be able to manage 9-10 wins.

That might not get them far in the AFC East, but they play in the AFC West; who's going to take them out?

Did the networkd give them 5 night games before or after they signed Manning?

Hmm, well. The Broncos managed to win the AFC West last year, essentially without a quarterback. Who do you think is going to step up in that division if Denver doesn't? Chargers? Oakland? Chiefs? The Chiefs could be interesting if they install an offense to go with their D.

I thought last year was Oakland's year, but their D wound up fighting the Bills for last place in the AFC and I don't know's they've managed to do so much to potentially improve other than change coaches, which works -- sometimes. I think Denver has a defense on the rise, and if they have a quarterback, I say again, watch out.

Steelers will be interesting. In terms of talent, they absolutely should win their division. In terms of the tool they hired as their OC, if anyone can mess up the Steelers well-proven chemistry and confidence, Todd Haley's that man.

I really cannot backup my statements effectively enough with stats, numbers, or info. I can just say I do not think the Broncos will perform this year like people expect. I have never cared much for Fox, as a HC here in Carolina I could not believe the guy was around so long. He is no slouch but I just do not see him having what it takes to bring a team to the top.

I just don't see that pie jelling as sweet as everyone thinks - my basis is speculation. They can win the West and maybe go further but I just do not see them to be that great of a team. It makes no sense but I do not see their team as being in the top 3 of the AFC, because that is really all there is in the AFC. Two teams we know that are great, and a few more who were really good. If they were in the NFC it might be a different story.