If I go to the grocery store and buy a 10 lb sack o spuds

Beerball

potato weighing machine

Ten pound bags of potatoes do not weigh ten pounds, but are produced by a machine that attempts to produce a ten pound average weight. In an effort to see if the machine is properly set up, the foreman at the potato bagging plant weighs 16 bags of potatoes produced by the machine. Here are the results:

10.07 10.35 10.05 9.98 10.27 10.46 9.95 10.44 10.08 9.90 10.10 10.18 10.39 9.96 10.19 10.47

From past experience it is known that the machine produces bags whose weights are approximately normally distributed and have a standard deviation of around 1/4 of a pound.

If you buy a 10 pound sack of potatoes, it weighs 10 pounds.

If it doesn't weigh 10 pounds, you didn't buy a 10 pound sack. Frickin' duh. :doh:

Just because the bag says 10 pounds doesn't mean it's 10 pounds :wallbash::doh:

potato weighing machine

Ten pound bags of potatoes do not weigh ten pounds, but are produced by a machine that attempts to produce a ten pound average weight. In an effort to see if the machine is properly set up, the foreman at the potato bagging plant weighs 16 bags of potatoes produced by the machine. Here are the results:

10.07 10.35 10.05 9.98 10.27 10.46 9.95 10.44 10.08 9.90 10.10 10.18 10.39 9.96 10.19 10.47

From past experience it is known that the machine produces bags whose weights are approximately normally distributed and have a standard deviation of around 1/4 of a pound.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna throw the bull stojan flag...unless we have gotten less tech savvy since I was in college but weights and measures is highly monitored. I worked at a Pepsi bottling plant and even the slightest bit under the 16 oz(for cans) got rejected and got taken home by workers every 2 weeks....10# is 10#...

Thanks! :thumbsup:

But you didn't ask "How much does a sack of potatoes weigh if it says ten pounds?" You asked "How much does a 10 pounds sack of potatoes weigh?"

It weighs 10 pounds.

Don't blame me...I gave you the right answer, you just asked the wrong !@#$ing question.

I'm gonna throw the bull stojan flag...unless we have gotten less tech savvy since I was in college but weights and measures is highly monitored. I worked at a Pepsi bottling plant and even the slightest bit under the 16 oz(for cans) got rejected and got taken home by workers every 2 weeks....10# is 10#...

Much different though. You know exactly how much goes into a 1 litre bottle. You can't expect that every bag of potatoes, carrots, lettuce is exact weight. Only way you could do it would be to lop off some and then people would B word about the waste.

But you didn't ask "How much does a sack of potatoes weigh if it says ten pounds?" You asked "How much does a 10 pounds sack of potatoes weigh?"

It weighs 10 pounds.

Don't blame me...I gave you the right answer, you just asked the wrong !@#$ing question.

JERK I AUGHTA POUR A BEER OVER YOUR HEAD!

Statistically speaking, it has a weight of 10 lbs within a statistical confidence level. In real words, your bag weighs very close to 10 lbs. if you have a million bags of 10 lb potatoes, you can be at least 95% sure that they weigh within one standard deviation of the 10lb mean.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test

Edited by Corp000085

You should weigh the bag at home and then return to the store and complain when it does not weigh exactly 10 lbs. this way you will be known as a jerk at your local grocery.

Better yet - return the .2 lbs of overage to them. Hey, they could put that half a potato back on the shelf.

You should weigh the bag at home and then return to the store and complain when it does not weigh exactly 10 lbs. this way you will be known as a jerk at your local grocery.

You want me to do that again?

What weighs more?

10lb sack of potatoes?

10lb bag of feathers?

10lb bowling ball?

Would have to be the sack of potatoes.

. . . if you have a million bags of 10 lb potatoes, you can be at least 95% sure that they weigh within one standard deviation of the 10lb mean.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test

I'm not sure I've ever seen a 10 lb potato. But if you did have a million bags of 10 lb potatoes, they would weigh at least 10 million lbs, even if you only had one 10 lb potato in each bag.

You only missed the correct answer by at least 9,999,990 lbs.

:nana:

potato weighing machine

That's how healthcare's gonna work... Some get 10.47, some will get 9.90... If everybody is truthful, it all comes around... You don't keep on picking up 9.9 bags or 10.47 bags.

Ut oh... Now I did it... Disregard the above. :oops: