Local honey as a cure for allergies

Beerball

LOL...:lol: Wow... That came out wrong!

She, not he... Ooops, that doesn't sound right either... I should quit while I am ahead!

Anyway... Let them deal with her! :o

Just messing with you, sir.

Its ironic because I'm allergic to honey and whenever I take it for a dry throat, it swells up and becomes even itchier than before!

Considering it is having an opposite effect, maybe you should try taking some allergens instead ? :)

Most allergans do not come from pollenated substances. Things like mold and mildew are not used to make honey. Tree allergans, as well, are not found in honey. Animal dander, ditto. Poison oak, ivy, and sumac - ditto. And those are just some of the natural elements in the enviroment.

So, if it even worked we'd be looking at a small percentage of allergans that available to treat. Then with that small window you have to assume that your local honey was jarred recent enough to allow it to include the current pollens that affect you.

In just a brief outline above I explained why the idea is bunk. However, the throat being lined with soothing honey can help ease tender throats.

Most allergans do not come from pollenated substances. Things like mold and mildew are not used to make honey. Tree allergans, as well, are not found in honey. Animal dander, ditto. Poison oak, ivy, and sumac - ditto. And those are just some of the natural elements in the enviroment.

So, if it even worked we'd be looking at a small percentage of allergans that available to treat. Then with that small window you have to assume that your local honey was jarred recent enough to allow it to include the current pollens that affect you.

In just a brief outline above I explained why the idea is bunk. However, the throat being lined with soothing honey can help ease tender throats.

Quite wrong Grasshopper. In your brief outline above you believe that you have explained why the idea is bunk. Big difference between belief and proof.

Quite wrong Grasshopper. In your brief outline above you believe that you have explained why the idea is bunk. Big difference between belief and proof.

He didn't say he proved it. He said he explained it.

And given that tree pollen causes allergies, and thus wouldn't be found in appreciable quantities in honey. PLUS...it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense that ingesting small amounts of pollen in a sugar solution would provide appreciable benefit against a histaminic reaction from inhaled pollen. PLUS...honey is hydrophilic, which means it topically reduces inflammation...which means it can alleviate some of the symptoms of allergies (and it's also slightly antiseptic and anti-bacterial - which isn't relative to allergies, just interesting.)

But my rule is: if it works, it works. Even if it shouldn't.

He didn't say he proved it. He said he explained it.

And given that tree pollen causes allergies, and thus wouldn't be found in appreciable quantities in honey. PLUS...it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense that ingesting small amounts of pollen in a sugar solution would provide appreciable benefit against a histaminic reaction from inhaled pollen. PLUS...honey is hydrophilic, which means it topically reduces inflammation...which means it can alleviate some of the symptoms of allergies (and it's also slightly antiseptic and anti-bacterial - which isn't relative to allergies, just interesting.)

But my rule is: if it works, it works. Even if it shouldn't.

Bingo. And why haven't people come to this conclusion at this point of the thread? :wallbash:

I guess people just love to argue... Yes it is, no its not.

Isn't Avenger our local beekeeper here? I wonder what he says?

I'm here - sorry - been on vacation and not checking in as frequently.

I don't tout the medicinal virtues of honey beyong the throat soothing effects. In theory, honey does contain the types of pollen from the surrounding area and if you believe that further exposure to these pollens can be beneficial, go for it. Just remember - bees only fly a radius of up to 2 miles from the hive, so "local honey" needs to be VERY local. If you get it even from someone 10 miles away it may not contain the same pollen components that you have at your house.