Dark Knight Rises - Midnight Screening Roll-Call

ajzepp

So what time are all of you going to the theater? I'm still trying to figure out just how early I want to be to ensure decent seats. I'm in a group of 4, so it shouldn't be too tough if we're early enough.

I have a group of 4 too and we are thinking we need to be lining up a minimum one hour before, however that is for 12:30pm tomorrow.

Tonight you might want to give even more time than that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for not throwing any spoilers in there. :thumbsup:

I know aj said they were free game, but since essentially no one has had a chance to see it, not saying anything is appreciated.

No worries, I was supposed to see it Tuesday night but was one of about 300 people that got turned away since the theater was at capacity(500). Spent the time trying to avoid spoilers online, I saw last week Letterman slipped some plot points when he had Anne Hathaway as a guest.

Just got home...I have to say, that actually exceeded my expectations. I don't remember a single time when my mind wandered due to the pacing slowing down too much, which surprised me given the running time. I saw one review before I went that complained how the story was told with too many flashbacks but that is just a complete non-factor for me. The flashbacks were appropriate to the story and I didn't feel as if there were too many at all. The acting was phenomenal, Hardy as Bane was intimidating as all hell, and I loved the way the story came full-circle from the first Nolan film, especially the Raj-al-gul (sp) story arc. My favorite aspect of these films has been the fact that they don't feel like superhero/comic films at all. They feel like vigilante dramas more than they do anything else. I think it's very refreshing compared to Batman efforts of the past.

Thumbs way up from me...this was a strong trilogy from start to finish and the last chapter was a very satisfying conclusion. I hope the rest of you guys enjoy(ed) it as much as I did.

I told you !@#$ers not to mess with me.

But seriously, that's awful.

Just got home...I have to say, that actually exceeded my expectations. I don't remember a single time when my mind wandered due to the pacing slowing down too much, which surprised me given the running time. I saw one review before I went that complained how the story was told with too many flashbacks but that is just a complete non-factor for me. The flashbacks were appropriate to the story and I didn't feel as if there were too many at all. The acting was phenomenal, Hardy as Bane was intimidating as all hell, and I loved the way the story came full-circle from the first Nolan film, especially the Raj-al-gul (sp) story arc. My favorite aspect of these films has been the fact that they don't feel like superhero/comic films at all. They feel like vigilante dramas more than they do anything else. I think it's very refreshing compared to Batman efforts of the past.

Thumbs way up from me...this was a strong trilogy from start to finish and the last chapter was a very satisfying conclusion. I hope the rest of you guys enjoy(ed) it as much as I did.

My feelings about it are about the same as yours, AJ. Flashbacks were well-used. Acting was pretty damn good. My only small complaint was that some scenes seemed rushed (i.e. first scene between Gordon and Blake), but when you're trying to cram everything there into one movie I can understand.

And regarding your comment about the "comic feel" of past Batmans - I agree. This was nice compared to those. I like how Nolan managed to keep some shout-outs to the comics in there too, though. Like when (spoiler) Bane breaks Batman's back.

Just in case, I'll say that this post is full of spoilers

The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was how the over did the enhancing of Bane's voice. I guess it was necessary though. Anyway, Hardy completely won me over near the end with the Talia reveal. The look in his eyes of pure love for her as she told the story was amazing. With as ruthless as he was, I almost actually felt bad for him at that point.

As for the ending, I felt like something may have been missing at my showing. There was an awkward cut with a bit of a red flash between the scene where Blake was going into the cave and the shot of Alfred nodding as he saw (or thought he saw) Bruce. Did anyone else have that at their showing or am I just imagining things. I guess I'll just have to go see it again (IMAX) to know for sure.

edit: I also want to add that I thought it started a bit slow, but once Bane showed up in Gotham, it was a constant thrill. I really want to go to an IMAX showing just to see the scene where he isolated the city.

Edited by shrader

Just in case, I'll say that this post is full of spoilers

The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was how the over did the enhancing of Bane's voice. I guess it was necessary though. Anyway, Hardy completely won me over near the end with the Talia reveal. The look in his eyes of pure love for her as she told the story was amazing. With as ruthless as he was, I almost actually felt bad for him at that point.

As for the ending, I felt like something may have been missing at my showing. There was an awkward cut with a bit of a red flash between the scene where Blake was going into the cave and the shot of Alfred nodding as he saw (or thought he saw) Bruce. Did anyone else have that at their showing or am I just imagining things. I guess I'll just have to go see it again (IMAX) to know for sure.

edit: I also want to add that I thought it started a bit slow, but once Bane showed up in Gotham, it was a constant thrill. I really want to go to an IMAX showing just to see the scene where he isolated the city.

The version I saw actually showed Bruce and Selina at the end. But I guess one could argue it was just Alfred seeing things out of pure hope.

The version I saw actually showed Bruce and Selina at the end. But I guess one could argue it was just Alfred seeing things out of pure hope.

I thought Shrader meant that Alfred might have been hallucinating, but I think the scene with Lucius at the end pretty much cleared that up.

I thought Shrader meant that Alfred might have been hallucinating, but I think the scene with Lucius at the end pretty much cleared that up.

Yes, they did show the two of them in my theater. There just seemed to be a bit of a jump right before that reveal. It went from Blake in the cave, cut to the cafe, then cut back to Blake in the cave. During that cut to the cafe, there was an awkward red flash (it was very short, but there was some sort of flash) which transitioned to Alfred's nod. For whatever reason, it seemed like a second or two were skipped in that flash.

Anyway, I wish they hadn't showed the two of them. I feel like that was a dumbing down of sorts. The second Alfred nodded, it was completely clear why.

Which scene with Lucius? Is this after the credits?

Anyway, I wish they hadn't showed the two of them. I feel like that was a dumbing down of sorts. The second Alfred nodded, it was completely clear why.

I sort of agree with that. I'm often critical of movies that can't resist the "blue skies" endings. I give Nolan the benefit of the doubt that he's not like that in general, and maybe the studio just insisted that Batman's fate wasn't confined to a mushroom cloud, but I would have been fine without that scene. What i would have done was show Alfred sitting at the table, and then something getting his attention. Maybe even have him give the nod or change his facial expression, but then don't show Wayne and Selena at the table. Just leave it open a bit. I think that would have been the more artistic approach and it sort of appeases people like us as well as the blue skies folks. Not a huge issue with me, though...just a minor quibble.