Who Do You Think Will Win The Presidential Election?

Regardless of whether it's questionable or not as a gaffe...it's a good hook that plays well. It's sensible advertising.

But nothing more.

I disagree. This is election is a referendum on whether people want bigger government (Barry's route) or smaller government (Romney's route). The gaffe-hook is meant to drive that home.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. This is election is a referendum on whether people want bigger government (Barry's route) or smaller government (Romney's route). The gaffe-hook is meant to drive that home.

You mean it's not about abortion, Sandra Fluke, free birth control and rape?

Coulda fooled me.

Maybe during their convention, the Democrats can explain how incomes fell more during the "recovery" than during the actual recession. Quite the little trick.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-23/u-s-incomes-feel-more-in-recovery-sentier-says.html

You mean it's not about abortion, Sandra Fluke, free birth control and rape?

Coulda fooled me.

Maybe during their convention, the Democrats can explain how incomes fell more during the "recovery" than during the actual recession. Quite the little trick.

What Voters Will Remember about Abortion in November

Carl A. Anderson

On November 7, we may well look back at this week’s events and see that this was the week that President Obama lost the presidency — because of the abortion issue.

What the Obama campaign has decided to do is to make unrestricted access to abortion a key component of his campaign. By highlighting Sandra Fluke, NARAL, Planned Parenthood, and a host of pro-abortion advocates at the Democratic National Convention, their strategy seems to be to use abortion as a wedge issue in order to paint Republicans as out of touch with most Americans.

Exactly the opposite is true. Our Knights of Columbus/Marist poll conducted this year found that only 12 percent of Americans support the president’s position on abortion. A full 88 percent support significant restrictions and 79 percent would limit abortion to the first three months of pregnancy.

[snip]

Come November, those entering voting booths from coast to coast are unlikely to be concerned by the poorly worded comments of a Senate candidate in Missouri. What they are likely to remember is that the president has embraced the most radical abortion position possible — one out of step with nearly nine in ten Americans.

The strident, pro-abortion face of the Democratic party that the nation will see during its upcoming convention also will underscore why it is that a real accommodation with the Catholic Church on the unpopular HHS mandate has not been reached and why one will be unlikely in the future.

Four years ago, candidate Obama was able to build a winning coalition that included Catholics and Evangelicals because he toned down the abortion rhetoric. Despite his own extreme voting record on the subject, he and his surrogates succeeded in muting his abortion stance in reaching out to Catholic and Evangelical voters.

He reached out to people like Pastor Rick Warren, who later said the prayer at the president’s inauguration. Now Reverend Warren says he will go to jail rather than comply with the HHS mandate. .........He can hardly be alone in his disillusionment.

What must those voters who believed the president’s rhetoric in the last election think now? And what will they think in November?

It is clear that the president’s winning coalition of 2008 is fractured, and it is unlikely to be resurrected by appealing to 12 percent of the population. The Obama-Biden campaign’s new abortion strategy admits that the coalition is gone as far as many Catholics are concerned.

Hmmm...well in my more than slightly buzzed state it's hard to say. It's a good question though...and I don't have an answer tonight probably won't give it much thought at this point no point.

My criticism of making it the actual slogan has nothing to do with using it, it's obvious ammo and they don't deserve to be in politics to not continue it...but to theme the convention around it seems a bit shallow for some reason. It just seems to me to merge the anti-Obama partisan political attacks (legitimate of course this is politics) too much into the genuine message of the party platform 2012. I mean...it just seems...reactionary and political and sort of petty and as an overall convention theme you would think there would be something better...something more authentically GOPish that is somehow all-encompassing of their vision. It seems like it will work with the base obviously but it really does rely on the Obama gaffe/truism however you see it. Obviously w/ out that it wouldn't be the tag line I mean on it's own "we built this" is asinine if viewed on an island it really just makes it seem like the entire deal is reactionary. I feel like I would obviously play it up in the convention and campaigning but I would want a sort of...rock (so to speak) out there that was simply "GOP"...a base that was somehow removed from politics a bit more than this and dealt more with the vision maybe synergistic w/ the Ryan pick and a general philosophy I'm selling...

I get that this will do that to an extent...but it's already out there...it's sort of toxic in that it riles up both bases the left gets nuts about it for obvious reasons and the line has hooked who it hooks already. It just seems weak. I mean the GOP convention is now themed "we built this?" It just doesn't seem to really do much in the way of furthering the "official introduction to the masses" while at the same time is just furthering the existing opposition effort to counter. Ultimately I think it really is marginalizing the ability of the whole line of attack to be used effectively in the future it's going to become a meme (more than it is now)

I think you're confused. “We Built It” is not the only theme. There's a theme every night of the GOP convention...

Tuesday's theme: “We Built It”

Wednesday’s theme: “We Can Change It”

Thursday's theme: “We Believe in America,”

http://www.gopconvention2012.com/news-press/press-releases/

BTW, the "you didn't build that" speech will go down in history as the official "beginning of the end" of Obama's disaster presidency. Which is appropriate since it was his speeches that got this idiot into the office in the first place.

Doc, what you aren't realizing is that the democratic party has moved further out to the left, what use to not be such a big campaign issue, suddenly is. The social conservative plank hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is the loony lefts response to their opposition of this position.

Doc, what you aren't realizing is that the democratic party has moved further out to the left, what use to not be such a big campaign issue, suddenly is. The social conservative plank hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is the loony lefts response to their opposition of this position.

No, I get that the Dems have taken-up (permanent?) residence in loonyville, because they can't talk about the really important issues. I guess I was misguidedly trying to get the libs on this board to answer my question, thinking I could get a rational response. Silly me.

I think you're confused. “We Built It” is not the only theme. There's a theme every night of the GOP convention...

http://www.gopconven...press-releases/

BTW, the "you didn't build that" speech will go down in history as the official "beginning of the end" of Obama's disaster presidency. Which is appropriate since it was his speeches that got this idiot into the office in the first place.

I didn't know that good correction. Having a we built that night the first night is much more reasonable politically probably even changes my opinion on the entire thing.

Ultimately the whole thing needs to be about Romney when the lights go on for the gut of the presentation, Romney the man/life story, what makes him tick, who he is, sell him etc...if they get everybody riled up the first night and shift probably be a success.

EDIT: BTW if Obama loses ultimately the entire thing will have been lost from before he sworn in when Rahm insisted on including predictions of the unemployment rates in the middle of a **** storm (which they missed by a long shot) in the political sell of the stimulus instead of focusing on the delta (which they got almost exactly right)

http://www.gopconven...press-releases/

That's going to depend on the outcome of the election. If he loses I think that speech is going to go down in history along with statements like "let them eat cake" and "only little people pay taxes" .

I can't wait until this election is over so the stupidity we are hearing now dies down. The current state of the country: "We did build that"- the American people.

After the election is over, I will have to see that upcoming Lincoln movie. It is a shame that we don't want to create politicians like that anymore.

I can't wait until this election is over so the stupidity we are hearing now dies down. The current state of the country: "We did build that"- the American people.

After the election is over, I will have to see that upcoming Lincoln movie. It is a shame that we don't want to create politicians like that anymore.

Holy !@#$ing **** how hard am I looking forward to that Lincoln movie. Spielberg directs Day-Lewis (God of all actors ever) as Lincoln? It's basically everything I want to watch rolled into one movie.

Holy !@#$ing **** how hard am I looking forward to that Lincoln movie. Spielberg directs Day-Lewis (God of all actors ever) as Lincoln? It's basically everything I want to watch rolled into one movie.

I would accept him walking off the screen and retaking the presidency as a happy ending.