Who Do You Think Will Win The Presidential Election?

Christianity, Mormonism, Scientology, Judaism, Islam are all religions. Each has its share of faith-based beliefs that are irrational. That's why they are faith-based. I don't care about a candidate's religion until they start saying things like "I let my faith guide my decisions" ala George Bush. When I hear that stuff, it starts to freak me out because I'd rather that my leaders be guided by reason. Mitt's religion doesn't bother me any more than Obama's.

Now if Tom Cruise was running for president...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@levi, never said it was unique to him. Matter of fact in the "mitt-stakes" thread I've given BO near equal grief for Israel lapdog-itis. Concluding that since romney won't be able to out dog Obama on policy matter, he has to emphasize even more so some kind of religious/cultural connection. Which he is and sounds like a sappy fool.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Well recent analysis of Romney's tax scheme will be the next wave

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/08/study-how-mitt-romneys-tax-plan-could-save-the-millionaires-87000-and-raise-taxes-on-the-middle-clas.html

Romney campaign obviously takes issue with the findings. One spokesman said it doesn't take into account that cooperate cuts will obviously translate directly into higher earnings for employees. That's kind of a funny thing to say for me...and they say it doesn't factor in budget cuts but we don't know what those cuts are so that would be tough.

In any event...this will probably be the next weeks topic + jobs report.

Edited by TheNewBills

Well recent analysis of Romney's tax scheme will be the next wave

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/08/study-how-mitt-romneys-tax-plan-could-save-the-millionaires-87000-and-raise-taxes-on-the-middle-clas.html

Romney campaign obviously takes issue with the findings. One spokesman said it doesn't take into account that cooperate cuts will obviously translate directly into higher earnings for employees. That's kind of a funny thing to say for me...and they say it doesn't factor in budget cuts but we don't know what those cuts are so that would be tough.

In any event...this will probably be the next weeks topic + jobs report.

This topic is being discussed extensively in another thread (and the band plays on) I pretty much broke it down and debunked this "non partisan study"

Edited by WorldTraveller

Last weekend in a meeting in Minneapolis, the Democratic convention's platform committee unanimously voted to plow ahead with a pro-same-sex marriage amendment that will call for the repeal of the Bill Clinton-signed Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). News of this development broke yesterday. The exact language of the platform plank is yet to be hammered out but should be available in a few weeks.

At a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., yesterday, the Coalition of African-American Pastors announced that unless and until President Obama recants his position for same-sex marriage, they will counsel members of their respective congregations to not vote for Obama as his position on the issue counters biblical teaching.

ABC, CBS, and NBC all failed to cover either development on their July 31 evening newscasts or August 1 morning news programs.

This topic is being discussed extensively in another thread (and the band plays on) I pretty much broke it down and debunked this "non partisan study"

Oh well sorry didn't catch that thread. In any event I really don't use this thread (personally) for discussion of the validity of anything. Just saying this will probably be a messaging deal they sell and then of course jobs numbers Friday. Next wave of new crap to fill the political analysis on daily cable shows and talk radio.

1343827874[/url]' post='2518301']

Christianity, Mormonism, Scientology, Judaism, Islam are all religions. Each has its share of faith-based beliefs that are irrational. That's why they are faith-based. I don't care about a candidate's religion until they start saying things like "I let my faith guide my decisions" ala George Bush. When I hear that stuff, it starts to freak me out because I'd rather that my leaders be guided by reason. Mitt's religion doesn't bother me any more than Obama's.

Now if Tom Cruise was running for president...

You forgot AGW.

The media is shamelessly complicit in obamas reelection effort.

A lot of it is, some is totally against him, and some try and be fairly neutral. On balance it's in the tank for him but that's not really any different than it has been in the past and Republicans have won anyway.

Romney should find a way (I don't know what it is) to be more open to them in a good way if possible. Maybe it isn't, maybe politically he should keep his shell strategy going...but ultimately if it is close I'm not sure playing everything so close to the vest will pay off.

A lot of it is, some is totally against him, and some try and be fairly neutral. On balance it's in the tank for him but that's not really any different than it has been in the past and Republicans have won anyway.

Romney should find a way (I don't know what it is) to be more open to them in a good way if possible. Maybe it isn't, maybe politically he should keep his shell strategy going...but ultimately if it is close I'm not sure playing everything so close to the vest will pay off.

This is true, but for Obama there is a heightened level of intensity and sensitivity for his part.

This is true, but for Obama there is a heightened level of intensity and sensitivity for his part.

Hmm..I agree probably don't see it as being AS bad as you do but plain and simple I do agree. It's a little tough to really tell b/c it's been so long since a non-Clinton democrat was in there and well..lets face it Clinton had it coming. And even going back before Clinton the media was totally different. But I agree generally.

That said, that's the media. Mitt can't just complain about it. He should have some sort of media initiative brainstorm in his campaign b/c really the majority favoring Obama (both slightly and those that are totally in love) talk a lot about how Obama is good and Mitt sucks. I watch ... not a lot of Fox but some ... and they don't really talk a whole lot about Romney at least maybe I just don't see it. (O'Reilly anyway doesn't seem to be in love w/ Romney not too many Mitt stories at all it's almost strange)

I mean, at some point if it's going to be a close election...Romney should try and win someone over, get something going on his own, get someone talking him up. Politically that just makes sense and I'm sure they know that and really have yet to roll out whatever they have planned for post-Tampa. It's a tough one but they have to at least do something so I'll be interested to see what happens there.

That said, that's the media. Mitt can't just complain about it. He should have some sort of media initiative brainstorm in his campaign b/c really the majority favoring Obama (both slightly and those that are totally in love) talk a lot about how Obama is good and Mitt sucks. I watch ... not a lot of Fox but some ... and they don't really talk a whole lot about Romney at least maybe I just don't see it. (O'Reilly anyway doesn't seem to be in love w/ Romney not too many Mitt stories at all it's almost strange)

You're nuts. FoxNews licks Mitt's taint as much as MSNBC does Obama's. Thre was a brief window where American media tried to be unbiased but for most of the history of the USA, the media has been unabashedly partisan. That is certainly the current trend. Fox kills the other news networks by supporting their guys without much reserve. MSNBC does the same and gets no ratings. CNN makes some objective attempt but clearly also left leaning.

Edited by John Adams

You're nuts. FoxNews licks Mitt's taint as much as MSNBC does Obama's. Thre was a brief window where American media tried to be unbiased but for most of the history of the USA, the media has been unabashedly partisan. That is certainly the current trend. Fox kills the other news networks by supporting their guys without much reserve. MSNBC does the same and gets no ratings. CNN makes some objective attempt but clearly also left leaning.

I would mostly disagree with this. The extent of my Fox listening is mostly Special Report (Brett Baier), and occasionally The Five because Dana Perino makes me believe in God, some O'Reilly while making rounds at day's end, and Greta if I'm given the remote at 10 p.m. It clearly pulls heavily to the right, but they don't spend near as much time pushing Mitt as they do destroying Obama. You can't get through any of those segments without people on discussing the latest Obama stupidity. In fairness, he's a target-rich environment lately, but is's mostly all "bash Obama" and a little Mitt.I don't pay attention to Hannity at all (and he probably does lick Mitt) as he has essentially become the Adam Schein of Fox News...impossible to stomach at any time of any day.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.270towin.com/simulation/

Interesting little simulation. I laugh whenever California turns blue and the Democrat meter shoots the up crazily. California is !@#$ing gigantic. It's not a predictor but it just goes to show how Florida, Ohio, and Virginia are so crucial. I've ran it a few times Romney really can't get the math without them.

Edited by TheNewBills

He can without Ohio or Virginia, but it makes it considerably tougher.

Here's why, Wisconsin is now a viable target, and if Romney loses Ohio, then he can replace it with Wisconsin , win Virginia and pick up two of the following three, Iowa, Colorado or N.H.

Same goes with Virginia, he'd have to win Ohio, and pick up two of the three I mentioned below.

However, he does have to win Florida.