Warfare State Sending US Off ‘Fiscal Cliff’

More than a quarter of what Washington spends money on every year is spent on the warfare state. That’s about 65% of all discretionary spending.

“The United States spent $728 billion on its military in 2010,” according to the Mercatus Center, ”about 45% of the world’s $1.6 trillion total. US spending amounts to more than the next fourteen largest military spending countries combined. In fact, the US spends nearly 6 times more than the next largest military spender, China.”

Link

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$2 Billion dollars a day

$3 Trillion dollars a year

$2 Billion is change

You can believe in!

Forward!

To be fair, Romney is attacking Obama on cuts to military right now. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/defense-cuts_n_1668212.html.

It is just insanity that the Republicans want to cut everything but the military. We need to stop the bleeding there as we spend as much on military as the rest of the world combined, and we can't sustain that anymore. We have too many bases around the world that not only cost us $ but cause resentment by the local people, especially in the middle east. It doesn't help our economy too much and potentially gets us involved in unneccesary wars, which only further stress our economy.

To be fair, Romney is attacking Obama on cuts to military right now. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/defense-cuts_n_1668212.html.

It is just insanity that the Republicans want to cut everything but the military. We need to stop the bleeding there as we spend as much on military as the rest of the world combined, and we can't sustain that anymore. We have too many bases around the world that not only cost us $ but cause resentment by the local people, especially in the middle east. It doesn't help our economy too much and potentially gets us involved in unneccesary wars, which only further stress our economy.

I couldn't agree more, the overall military money needs to come down. At the same time, I do like the military. Military oriented R&D spending has changed the world...

In a 1984 kinda way, sure.

It seems to be taking the lead in the green-sustainable movement, it did basically start the early internet, we went to space b/c of it..cool sound oriented stuff we can do now....more examples. Just saying as someone who is outraged at the money we spend I do like the R&D there.

Hell just the other day I saw some crazy waist high dog like machine w/ pretty amazing working legs. You could push it around and it would just walk and balance and catch itself. I think it's supposed to go with them into battle carry stuff and maybe even lay down as a shield or something but it walks good..in lots of terrain and stuff..that technology will one day do something impressive in our everyday lives.

Here it is...I just think it's cool. Even if it costed some ammount of money that I would cringe at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028

I mean as crazy as it seems to actually say this...we'll probably have robots one day. Just walking around. That's basically a robot. Walking around.

Hell spend the next few years standing that thing up, put a human body on it w/ arms, give it a computer chip brain and let it come clean my house while I work. Do some yard work. Etc

Edited by TheNewBills

I mean as crazy as it seems to actually say this...we'll probably have robots one day. Just walking around. That's basically a robot. Walking around.

Hell spend the next few years standing that thing up, put a human body on it w/ arms, give it a computer chip brain and let it come clean my house while I work. Do some yard work. Etc

Do you think there will be robot trolls starting threads on message boards about birth certificates and swiss bank accounts until the internet collapses on itself?

Do you think there will be robot trolls starting threads on message boards about birth certificates and swiss bank accounts until the internet collapses on itself?

Robots need something to do when they're done walking my dog and cleaning my dishes.

Also 2nd Amendment folk should rejoice. Everyone needs a gun to keep their robot in line.

It seems to be taking the lead in the green-sustainable movement, it did basically start the early internet, we went to space b/c of it..cool sound oriented stuff we can do now....more examples. Just saying as someone who is outraged at the money we spend I do like the R&D there.

Hell just the other day I saw some crazy waist high dog like machine w/ pretty amazing working legs. You could push it around and it would just walk and balance and catch itself. I think it's supposed to go with them into battle carry stuff and maybe even lay down as a shield or something but it walks good..in lots of terrain and stuff..that technology will one day do something impressive in our everyday lives.

Here it is...I just think it's cool. Even if it costed some ammount of money that I would cringe at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028

While cool tech...that thing is scary looking. It just looks like it wants to kill people and perform unholy experiments on the corpses.

Thomas Jefferson: Hamilton's economic program will lead us off the fiscal cliff!

Change the names and plans around through the decades and its all the same. Still waiting to hit that cliff