People get more whiny every day

If I had to twist to make sense of this (without reading the article), if she was hired by a corporate-fitness center for people to workout during business hours, perhaps those people are limited int he ability to discard their phones for a period of time...?

I know there have been times whilst on the client dime when I simply cannot be unreachable .

EDIT: Okay just read the article.

a.) The client is Facebook, probably a MAJOR cash-cow.

b.) "Hello - this is only Facebook," said Van Ness, whose firing cost her a teaching gig at Cisco too. "We're not talking about the U.S. government here. We're not talking about Russia is about to bomb us. We're talking about Facebook. Something can't wait half an hour?" Funny that a yoga instructor would question the validity of somebody's professional pursuit...turns out Facebook employees are damn good at what they do, they work at Facebook. Some get multi-million dollar signing bonuses right out of college. So if they need to send an email NOW, I'm guess they need to send an email NOW.

You're 100% correct. At my current (and next) job, I'm required to be on call 24/7/365. If there's an outage of some sort, I need to be able to help fix it or organize the people who can fix it. Being down for an hour while doing yoga could cost the company millions. The person who sounds self-absorbed in all of this is the instructor -- "It's only Facebook, not talking about Russia bombing us." She obviously has no concept of business and I would counter that SHE'S self-absorbed thinking the world needs to revolve around her class. The business needs to go on; I doubt the employee was simply surfing the web at the time.

I hope all the satellites crash to earth and people actually have to live like humans again. Technology is making everyone lazy and dysfunctional. Dont go to Yoga if you have no time to put your phone away. Facebook suck too btw...

Again, I'd counter that in this case, it wasn't a laziness issue -- it was a business issue. I doubt she was checking her Facebook status or tweeting about her class. I'd agree that smartphones have become digital leashes on employees -- mine's sitting in front of me right now in case of an issue at work -- but that's the opposite of lazy.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This defeats the whole purpose of the class. If they can't put the stuff down for an hour and relax, there is no point to the class. Then the most important part: They are disturbing others from relaxing.

It is an occupation people, not salvation.

Don't take the class if you can't put the device down. Yoga is NOT for you. Relaxation and shutting out the outside world is the whole point of the class! Take a seminar on fishing or something... Something that can tolerate interuption.

This defeats the whole purpose of the class. If they can't put the stuff down for an hour and relax, there is no point to the class. Then the most important part: They are disturbing others from relaxing.

Don't take the class if you can't put the device down. Yoga is NOT for you. Relaxation and shutting out the outside world is the whole point of the class! Take a seminar on fishing or something... Something that can tolerate interuption.

Wow this is a first. I agree with you 100%.

Then the most important part: They are disturbing others from relaxing.

How is it disturbing others...? The article never said the phone rang, beep, or made any noise. So how does someone typing on a keyboard distract you? Aren't you supposed to be centering yourself or somesuch in yoga and not paying attention to what someone else is doing?

It's an occupation that you want to keep, and if you're on call 24/7, you better have your phone to respond to an emergency or you won't have an occupation anymore.

I'll admit that this would be completely different if she was just checking email or surfing the web. The article doesn't describe what the person was doing (because the obvious slant was, "yoga teacher got screwed!"), but I doubt someone would go to the class, sit in the front, and then just screw around on a phone.

How is it disturbing others...? The article never said the phone rang, beep, or made any noise. So how does someone typing on a keyboard distract you? Aren't you supposed to be centering yourself or somesuch in yoga and not paying attention to what someone else is doing?

It's an occupation that you want to keep, and if you're on call 24/7, you better have your phone to respond to an emergency or you won't have an occupation anymore.

I'll admit that this would be completely different if she was just checking email or surfing the web. The article doesn't describe what the person was doing (because the obvious slant was, "yoga teacher got screwed!"), but I doubt someone would go to the class, sit in the front, and then just screw around on a phone.

Your cherry-picking ignores the larger point: this person shouldn't be in the class if they can't go without the device for the hour or half-hour or however long the class is. The instructor made the rules of the class very clear, and the employee had the opportunity to leave at the beginning or not go at all.

She got fired for a "disapproving look". Don't you think that's a bit overprotective of Facebooks fragile little employees? I think it's safe to say that Facebook would expect their employees to put work down for 30 minutes to recharge.

The interview I heard with the instructor was great. She kept bagging on the "poor FB empoyee" and how she "hurt her feelings" waaaaah.

Even worse if they were working.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what she was doing... Get the first mate to man the helm. We micromanage that much that an hour can't go by? :blink:

So you got your phone in hand while you are taking a dump? Wow... People are really brainwashed... Glad there is yoga to "deprogram" them.":unsure: The whole point of yoga is to get in touch with your body... Why are they taking the class? What part of: "You don't do work in yoga class, it is counter productive."

Go take a knitting class or join the euchre club.

I mean... Am I really having this discussion where people need to know this?

She got fired for a "disapproving look". Don't you think that's a bit overprotective of Facebooks fragile little employees? I think it's safe to say that Facebook would expect their employees to put work down for 30 minutes to recharge.

The interview I heard with the instructor was great. She kept bagging on the "poor FB empoyee" and how she "hurt her feelings" waaaaah.

New yoga instructor... Fresh start for the spoiled brat. What the employee did cuts to the core of everything zen. How the hell is the brat employee gonna relax with the same teacher... She is guilty as sin and knows it. The instructor didn't have to brow beat her... Her expression was that powerful! Good for her!

Hogwash.

There's isn't one person alive out there who is "on call" 24/7/365 for "instantaneuous" conversation.

You making yourself out to be a lot more important than you actually are (just like the Facebook employees).

Hogwash.

There's isn't one person alive out there who is "on call" 24/7/365 for "instantaneuous" conversation.

You making yourself out to be a lot more important than you actually are (just like the Facebook employees).

Instantaneous? No. Respond within 10 minutes? Yes.

I'm not trying to make myself sound "important." I'm just telling you what the expectations are for every IT department I've ever worked in.

Also keep in mind that you're only hearing the yoga instructor's side of the story.

Instantaneous? No. Respond within 10 minutes? Yes.

I'm not trying to make myself sound "important." I'm just telling you what the expectations are for every IT department I've ever worked in.

Also keep in mind that you're only hearing the yoga instructor's side of the story.

:wallbash: :wallbash: You still don't get the concept of a yoga class?

What other side of the story is there?

"No outside interuptions allowed."

Nada

Zero

Zilch

Exceptions

It is yoga for crying out loud! Again... Take a fishing class!

Maybe you have faith in your fellow ITers... But I would hanker she was doing something totally useless. You know how they always say: "The customer is always right." Well, the sad reality is that the customer is usually wrong.

Hogwash.

FBI special agents are on call 24/7/365 and must be within so many minutes of their "Go Bag" at all times. There are numerous agencies and such that these responsibilities.

FBI special agents are on call 24/7/365 and must be within so many minutes of their "Go Bag" at all times. There are numerous agencies and such that these responsibilities.

Then yoga is not for them... Who's the ding bat at these companies who think yoga is a good fit for their staff?:wallbash:

Then yoga is not for them... Who's the ding bat at these companies who think yoga is a good fit for their staff?:wallbash:

Like I said, we're only hearing the yoga instructor's side of the story. What if the person in question was fully expecting to be able to relax for 30 minutes, but got a call from the CEO about something that needed addressing ASAP? And if those calls only happen once or twice a year, why shouldn't she be allowed to attend the classes?

It's entirely possible that the person was just being a jerk and playing with Twitter while she was there, but I find that much less likely considering she was sitting front and center in the class. What happened to not judging people until you walk a mile in their shoes? ;)

Like I said, we're only hearing the yoga instructor's side of the story. What if the person in question was fully expecting to be able to relax for 30 minutes, but got a call from the CEO about something that needed addressing ASAP? And if those calls only happen once or twice a year, why shouldn't she be allowed to attend the classes?

It's entirely possible that the person was just being a jerk and playing with Twitter while she was there, but I find that much less likely considering she was sitting front and center in the class. What happened to not judging people until you walk a mile in their shoes? ;)

You obviously are not familiar with the culture at Facebook and all these new Tech companies.

Much like amazon, google, eBay, apple...they have on site auto mechanics, laundry service, child care, etc..all sorts of amenities to encourage employees to stay on campus and ignore the long hours they are 'expected' to work all the while giving the illusion if work/life balance....and I'm with you...work is no place for pets...its foolish

Bringing a dog to work? Well first of not everyone likes dogs. I'm not a fan of them.