Have They Forgot ?? IT'S A GAME !!!!

It's actually not just a game to them, it's their careers. And to preface what I'm about to say, I really can't stand when a random stranger feels the need to comment on someone else's financial situation, especially regarding their careers, but I'm going to try and keep this civil and respectful;

I think perspective is missing from your rant. He's an employee looking to maximize his income while he's still capable of performing at an elite level. We all have that option, though most of us aren't sought out like Mr. Brees is.

If you're angry about how much he makes, you're angry at the wrong person. Otherwise, you're angry because he wants to secure his future and do so with the most profit possible. Either way, it smells like envy sprinkled with a hint of jealousy.

Also, thanks to your son for his service. On top of the abundant charity work Drew Brees does, I'm sure he's very grateful for the men and women who serve and protect our country.

With all due respect , i understand that it is a career , but it is still a game !! ( if you put lipstick on a pig IT'S STILL A PIG ) The simple perspective to my rant is that perspective is gone . All military personal not only to further there lives & to learn a trade or vocation of sorts , also to further their along with their families futures agree willingly to go out & put there life on the line day in & day out so you , myself , & all other Americans & even non Americans can have a opinion & not get in trouble for that said opinion ..

I'm not at all angry with Drew Brees i just think his & other athletes out look would be much different if they would humble them selves a bit & realize just what he gets paid , even if you break it down 19.5 million or 20 million a year decided by 365 is like $54,794 A DAY !!! Every day - not the days he's performing his job that's - EVERY DAY !! 365 - 24 - 7 !!

Excessive - YA THINK ???? A bit greedy - MAY BE ?? Just a Little ??

Look i love football as much as every one here , i was just pointing out that (with no jealousy or envy what so ever) I think that the perspective of reality has been put out the window when it comes to sports in general & it all started with Base Ball (huge contracts) If these guys would manage their money a bit better & the owners & all involved would manage it better & put the greed aside the older players would be covered for the things they are suing for, the new players along with the old would have great retirements , there would be enough for all concerned & all would be good ..

Because lets face it , If Drew Brees didn't have those lineman in front of him that are only making on average $500000 to $3 million a year he wouldn't be able to do what he does & the WR's wouldn't be able to do what they do & touch down's wouldn't be scored ..I ain't saying but i'm just saying !!

And i , like you will still be buying jersey's , sitting in front of the boob tube with a beer on sundays or going to the stadium to see my Bills play while others do what they do & give up 10 times more than any athlete to do there job so we can sit & drink our beer & watch our GAMES !! but i;m just saying !!

With all due respect , i understand that it is a career , but it is still a game !! ( if you put lipstick on a pig IT'S STILL A PIG ) The simple perspective to my rant is that perspective is gone . All military personal not only to further there lives & to learn a trade or vocation of sorts , also to further their along with their families futures agree willingly to go out & put there life on the line day in & day out so you , myself , & all other Americans & even non Americans can have a opinion & not get in trouble for that said opinion ..

I'm not at all angry with Drew Brees i just think his & other athletes out look would be much different if they would humble them selves a bit & realize just what he gets paid , even if you break it down 19.5 million or 20 million a year decided by 365 is like $54,794 A DAY !!! Every day - not the days he's performing his job that's - EVERY DAY !! 365 - 24 - 7 !!

Excessive - YA THINK ???? A bit greedy - MAY BE ?? Just a Little ??

Look i love football as much as every one here , i was just pointing out that (with no jealousy or envy what so ever) I think that the perspective of reality has been put out the window when it comes to sports in general & it all started with Base Ball (huge contracts) If these guys would manage their money a bit better & the owners & all involved would manage it better & put the greed aside the older players would be covered for the things they are suing for, the new players along with the old would have great retirements , there would be enough for all concerned & all would be good ..

Because lets face it , If Drew Brees didn't have those lineman in front of him that are only making on average $500000 to $3 million a year he wouldn't be able to do what he does & the WR's wouldn't be able to do what they do & touch down's wouldn't be scored ..I ain't saying but i'm just saying !!

And i , like you will still be buying jersey's , sitting in front of the boob tube with a beer on sundays or going to the stadium to see my Bills play while others do what they do & give up 10 times more than any athlete to do there job so we can sit & drink our beer & watch our GAMES !! but i;m just saying !!

Don't forget that there are agents involved. The players pay the agents to get them the most money they can, and that's what the agents do. If I'm trying to get a contract, you're damn well right I'm going for as much as I can get...why the hell not? As one of the best passers in the league, do you not want to be respected in the same group as the other top passers?

BTW, a punctuation goes right after the last letter of the sentence. There is no space between the last letter and 2 excessive punctuations.

Now he's playing the hold out card - again COME ON MAN !! If they don't come to an agreement & he plays under the franchise tag the poor guy will only make what a measley 9 or 10 million to play one year -- i just don't know how he will be able to survive :doh: !!

Well there you have it my rant for the next little while , i truly hope though they let him or MAKE him sit out a year & then he might have a new found appreciation for what he has & what he has been offered to play a game , It's just getting nuts !! :wallbash: :wallbash: !!

...and if the Saints let him go and the Bills offered up the farm for him, I think you'd be whistlin' a different tune...

T Master the wheels that move the world are greased with money. It's just how it has always been. It's how it will always be until civilization crumbles. The wealthiest people in the world didn't earn it clocking in from a 9 to 5. They basically gambled with the ponzi scheme at what ever stock exchange.

As far as Drew goes. He got screwed the last time he was franchise tagged because he got hurt and had to play out a contract that vastly under payed him for the hall of fame statistics he was putting up year after year. He wasn't gonna let that happen again. I for one don't blame him. Also I would point out the NFL would still be raking in billions even if they weren't paying such large salaries. So all things considered I'd rather see the players get a nice slice of the pie instead of the owners getting the balk of it. The trickle down effect means more of that money will reach other parts of the economy. Just my two sense.

T Master the wheels that move the world are greased with money. It's just how it has always been. It's how it will always be until civilization crumbles. The wealthiest people in the world didn't earn it clocking in from a 9 to 5. They basically gambled with the ponzi scheme at what ever stock exchange.

As far as Drew goes. He got screwed the last time he was franchise tagged because he got hurt and had to play out a contract that vastly under payed him for the hall of fame statistics he was putting up year after year. He wasn't gonna let that happen again. I for one don't blame him. Also I would point out the NFL would still be raking in billions even if they weren't paying such large salaries. So all things considered I'd rather see the players get a nice slice of the pie instead of the owners getting the balk of it. The trickle down effect means more of that money will reach other parts of the economy. Just my two sense.

I wish I had two sense for every time someone said that :wallbash:

I wish I had two sense for every time someone said that :wallbash:

It's like that old coaches proverb about starting QB's...

If you have two sense, you probably have no sense at all...

Have you ever noticed that Tea has a very bitter after taste.... a little like astro turf...

...quoted Tom Brady, the day after Marcell Dareus records 7 sacks...

HArd to believe it took the Saints this long to give in to the inevitable. This has been the best QB over the past 5 seasons.

For those who would somehow argue with the fact that Brees was due this contract, I point you to the recent re-signing of "Brook Lopez" by the Nets for $61 million over 4 years.

Yeah...The New York Knicks signed Alan Houston to a 100M contract 10 years ago....and it crippled that franchise for the next decade.

I was watching a Yankees game with my teacher friend the other day. Derek Jeter had gone 0-5 and he said something along the lines of "So he gets $20 million a year to strike out and I get $34,000 to educate America's youth?".

I said, "When 50,000 people pay to watch you teach every day, you can have $20 million".

Obviously just ribbing him, but people don't seem to understand that salaries are mostly to do with scarcity.

Late to this party, but...people understand, but at the same time they understand that the educator, the fireman, the soldier/sailor/marine/airman are doing more and deserve more. It isn't going to happen, some wierd shift in the time/space continuum isn't going to suddenly put teacher pay commesruate with what they accomplish every day. The OP understands too, sometimes though you just gotta say what's on your mind.

Brees will receive 40 million of that money This Year.

Let me repeat that- 40 million THIS YEAR!!!

Trickle that down.

So what? Arguably the best player in what is, far and away the most popular sport in the country--and the richest, is being rewarded with a contract that B-list basketball and baseball players get every year.

People are just discovering that pro players make tons of money? And NOW are complaining and comparing them to....teachers? Did the OP post this thread somewhere when A-Rod signed a 250 mil contract? Or how about P MAnning?

Late to this party, but...people understand, but at the same time they understand that the educator, the fireman, the soldier/sailor/marine/airman are doing more and deserve more. It isn't going to happen, some wierd shift in the time/space continuum isn't going to suddenly put teacher pay commesruate with what they accomplish every day. The OP understands too, sometimes though you just gotta say what's on your mind.

I see your point, I do. But...

It's also important to bear in mind that being a professional athlete is NOT usually lucrative. The mean salary may be high, but not the median.

These guys gamble quite a bit with their chosen professions. To take the bloated MLB salaries as an example - for every Alex Rodriguez with a ridiculous quarter billion dollar contract, there are 1,000 guys making $20,000 a year in the minors, trying to scrape by for their family on the road.

Or how about the NFL, where for every Brees there are 100 reserve linemen making 1% of his salary over an average of 2.5 years in return for a lifetime of medical bills?

So, put yourself in the shoes of one of the superstars. You are THE guy who overcame the odds to become marketable. And you're going to turn down a single cent of your new contract over some misbegotten principal on your profession's relative social value compared to a fireman? I think not.

EDIT: I'm not using "you" to mean "Beerball", rather all the people who spit on these guys for their contracts.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I see your point, I do. But...

It's also important to bear in mind that being a professional athlete is NOT usually lucrative. The mean salary may be high, but not the median.

These guys gamble quite a bit with their chosen professions. To take the bloated MLB salaries as an example - for every Alex Rodriguez with a ridiculous quarter billion dollar contract, there are 1,000 guys making $20,000 a year in the minors, trying to scrape by for their family on the road.

Or how about the NFL, where for every Brees there are 100 reserve linemen making 1% of his salary over an average of 2.5 years in return for a lifetime of medical bills?

So, put yourself in the shoes of one of the superstars. You are THE guy who overcame the odds to become marketable. And you're going to turn down a single cent of your new contract over some misbegotten principal on your profession's relative social value compared to a fireman? I think not.

EDIT: I'm not using "you" to mean "Beerball", rather all the people who spit on these guys for their contracts.

We vote everyday with how we spend our money, and NFL fans have voted to give franchises billions of dollars of revenue to continue on their current trajectory. The fact that Brees got this deal done proves that the Saints believe he is worth it. The NFL is not a game, it is serious business with casualties strewn everywhere. I, like you, say congratulations to Brees. The economy mixed with people's short-sighted politics seems to betray envy in people's thinking. I just can't hate on a guy that did what he had to do and got paid serious money for their tenacity.