Voter ID requirement may affect black voter turnout, Dems Fear

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not absurd. Sadly, thats a lock. But theres nothing stopping these people from obtaining a photo ID.

Sure there is. Look at Wilola Lee. She's been trying to get a copy of her birth certificate from Georgia for more than 10 years. Of course, we don't know WHAT she was supposedly doing for the past 10 years, but that's not important. What's important is we have someone who can CLAIM she can't get her birth certificate, and if that's a good enough reason for Wilola, then it's a good enough reason for the other 749,999 since we don't know anything about them either.

The one thing no one is reporting is of the 750,000 people who lack the proper ID to vote, how many of them WANT to vote? How many are Republican? How many are Democrat? And WHY can't them get a photo ID? These seem like reasonable questions to ask.

But no. We get a lazy, dumbass story with no reasoning and a big number.

Firstly, I never ONCE said anything about racism, not tied this issue to race in anyway shape or form.

And how is it a choice for the 500,000 Americans without vehicles who live at least 10 miles from an ID station that's only open 2 days a week, and only during business hours?

You make it sound like all they have to do is head on down to the local ID-shop whenever they please, using all the free time their personal and professional lives most surely offer...

Well if that's the case, they won't be able to make it to the polls, which are open ONE day a year, either, so this is a non-issue.

I'm not by any means a fiscal liberal, but I'm very proudly a social liberal, and I've already said many times that this is clearly a ploy to rob the Dems of votes, and that's the most despicable aspect of this--BY FAR.

If we're okay with the political maneuvering, with it being politics as usual, fine. But I've been quite transparent about my disdain for the GOP's methods of winning votes by negation.

2 things:

1. As someone who is also fiscally conservative and fairly socially liberal, the reason I currently lean GOP is because I see the fiscal issues as the most important at the moment, the ones most likely to be significantly affected, & given Obama's record on pot I don't expect much help from the left on social issues anyway.

2. This is less about suppressing the liberal vote & more about securing & legitimizing the process. If a few people are incidentally kept from voting that's their problem. And while I wouldn't support legislation to take away the voting rights of others (including felons) I'm not terribly concerned if an incidental & unintended consequence is that people who are too irresponsible to maintain an ID don't get to vote.

But then, I also have a problem with the fact that people like me who go to work and pay the taxes that fund the government have no more say in how it's run than the career welfare cases whose bills I'm paying. It's like the adult child who never left home having an equal say in how the household finances are managed as the parents who pay the bills.

Edit: corrected

Edited by Rob's House

You implied that perhaps those people don't meet basic qualifications to vote...

No, I emphatically said that if they are too lazy or aren't mentally sharp enough to get a voter I.D. then maybe it would be a good idea for them not to vote. I'm not going to get into some nuanced argument with you over this. It has been discussed to the nth extent previously. Go and read through the whole thread.

Well if that's the case, they won't be able to make it to the polls, which are open ONE day a year, either, so this is a non-issue.

No, that's different because, ummm, well, you see, ummm....FREE WILOLA!!!!!

No, I emphatically said that if they are too lazy or aren't mentally sharp enough to get a voter I.D. then maybe it would be a good idea for them not to vote. I'm not going to get into some nuanced argument with you over this. It has been discussed to the nth extent previously. Go and read through the whole thread.

Just as a heads up; Big Cat is in a corner now. He's using words like "imply" in virtually every post, so he knows he's lost the argument because he's splitting hairs. He will soon morph into gibberish before landing in his final resting place of "Geez, guys, I was only kidding to see how you'd all react."

Like clockwork.

No, that's different because, ummm, well, you see, ummm....FREE WILOLA!!!!!

Just as a heads up; Big Cat is in a corner now. He's using words like "imply" in virtually every post, so he knows he's lost the argument because he's splitting hairs. He will soon morph into gibberish before landing in his final resting place of "Geez, guys, I was only kidding to see how you'd all react."

Like clockwork.

It is different, actually because of early voting.

I don't feel as though I'm in a corner, thank you.

Didn't you just accuse me of cornering your opinions? Do you have any memory of what you've previously posted and do you understand these prior statements have bearing in the context of this thread? And why haven't you clarified the blatant contradictions in your statements?

Normally, I'd be concerned if I cornered a "Big Cat". This one doesn't roar but meows.

Yeah but this kitty also likes to scratch. Be warned.

2 things:

1. As someone who is also fiscally conservative and fairly socially liberal, the reason I currently lean GOP is because I see the fiscal issues as the most important at the moment, the ones most likely to be significantly affected, & given Obama's record on pot I don't expect much help from the left on social issues anyway.

2. This is less about suppressing the liberal vote & more about securing & legitimizing the process. If a few people are incidentally kept from voting that's their problem. And while I wouldn't support legislation to take away the voting rights of others (including felons) I'm not terribly concerned if an incidental & unintended consequence is that people who are too irresponsible to maintain an ID don't get to vote.

But then, I also have a problem with the fact that people like me who go to work and pay the taxes that fund the government have no more say in how it's run than the career welfare cases whose bills I'm paying. It's like the adult child who never left home having an equal say in how the household finances are managed as the parents who pay the bills.

Edit: corrected

Are you really so naive as to believe the bolded, or is the rest of the world just that skeptical/cynical?

Over the course of 10 years, a person in Pennsylvania could...if they wanted...WALK to the city in Georgia in which they were born, go to the Vital Records office, fill out the paperwork, SIT in the office and WAIT for them to get you your information, and still have time to WALK back to Pennsylvania FROM Georgia to get something you left behind, walk BACK to Georgia and WAIT for them to get you your information and still have time to WALK back to Pennsylvania with your birth certificate.

If you can not, over a ten year period, eliminate whatever objections come your way to get a copy of your birth certificate, then again...maybe you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

But hey...FREE WILOLA!!!!!

If you can not, over a ten year period, eliminate whatever objections come your way to get a copy of your birth certificate, then again...maybe you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Then I'll ask this question again: what other restrictions should there be? Should there be a laziness exam?

Then I'll ask this question again: what other restrictions should there be? Should there be a laziness exam?

And I'll ask you again, what about the restrictions which are currently in place? What about voter registration, and what about requiring voters to cast their votes at polling stations? Aren't these impediments to voting? Shouldn't these obstacles be removed by your logic? How many people would vote but do not because registering is an inconvenience or getting to a polling station during election hours is just too damn hard? How many eligible voters are being ignored right now with our current requirements? Why aren't you fighting for them?

Edited by Jauronimo

Oh, you're discussing slippery slope stuff now. Got it.

There already is a laziness exam. If you can't get your lazy ass up and do the basic, simple things you need to do to get a photo ID, you fail the laziness exam and shouldn't be allowed to vote. That work for you? Of course not. Because you're the same person who feels sorry for Wilola's plight. Ten years...can't get her birth certificate from Georgia...got something in the mail that was an application...still can't get her birth certificate...and the victim here is Wilola.

FREE WILOLA!!!!!

And I'll ask you again, what about the restrictions which are currently in place? What about voter registration, and what about requiring voters to cast their votes at polling stations? Aren't these impediments to voting? Shouldn't these obstacles be removed by your logic? How many people would vote but do not because registering is an inconvenience or getting to a polling station during election hours is just too damn hard? How many eligible voters are being ignored right now with our current requirements? Why aren't you fighting for them?

And volunteer groups get out on voting day to make sure those people have a ride to the polls.

I guess the solution is to require more people to give up more of their time then? Boy, these laws don't inconvenience anyone!

And volunteer groups get out on voting day to make sure those people have a ride to the polls.

I guess the solution is to require more people to give up more of their time then? Boy, these laws don't inconvenience anyone!

Then these volunteer groups can make sure they get out to get their ID's.