(OT) Rob Ray, my hero

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Wonder if Rob Ray realizes that his style of play is one of the reasons why the game he "loves" so much is in the state it is in.

187015[/snapback]

I don't agree with that at all. Ray is all about playing hard, throwing checks, and fighting. Clutching and grabbing is a league-wide dilemma that the league has to deal with because the players, like all pro athletes, are always going to do whatever they can get away with. Players getting bigger, goalie pads getting bigger, and moving the nets out all have more to do with the game's downfall than a few leftover enforcers like RR.

BTW, yes, this is another great move by the NHLPA. They have zero hockey fans on their side and their players are getting paid zilch this season while missing out on a chance to play the game they love for the Stanley Cup. The best part is none of these players realizes how replacable they are. In 15 years basically none of them will even be capable of playing in the NHL so it's probably not a good idea to squander this time away. Oh well.

Wonder if Rob Ray realizes that his style of play is one of the reasons why the game he "loves" so much is in the state it is in.

Yeah because there is so much fighting in the NHL now compared to the 70's and 80's when there were constantly bench clearing brawls and fights before games even started... :pirate:

187015[/snapback]

You couldn't be more wrong about that. The lack of fighting and resulting increase in clutching, grabbing, and stickwork are what's ruined the game. Don't let that stop your crusade, though. :pirate:

The NHLPA is a joke. How can it be taken seriously when its top players go off and steal the jobs of European hockey players? And of course I don't expect they are getting NHL salaries in Europe, so I guess that means they will play hockey for considerably less money.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Which is PRECISELY WHY the teams should NEVER, EVER back down from the salary cap stand. They are right, and the players will learn to accept it. Teams like the Ottawa Senators are losing lWAY less money NOW because of no season than they would if there WAS a season under present salary realities!

Which is PRECISELY WHY the teams should NEVER, EVER back down from the salary cap stand. They are right, and the players will learn to accept it. Teams like the Ottawa Senators are losing lWAY less money NOW because of no season than they would if there WAS a season under present salary realities!

It will probably take the NHL owners going with replacement players for a portion of next season for the NHLPA to finally smarten-up and cave-in. The irony is that those 2 years of salary that players will have lost is MORE money than they would have lost accepting the salary cap in the first place. Oh well, as long as a salary cap gets put in place eventually and the Sabres are finally on equal footing (sort of) with the other teams, I couldn't care less about how long it takes, as long as it gets done.

You couldn't be more wrong about that.  The lack of fighting and resulting increase in clutching, grabbing, and stickwork are what's ruined the game.  Don't let that stop your crusade, though.  :pirate:

187077[/snapback]

One post on a subject is a "crusade" now, huh? What's next, Da? Youre going to call me a "lemming" because I agree with the consesus that it was warm out today?

And yeah...FIGHTING is one of the reasons why hockey is in the state its in and a distance fourth, at best, in the American sports conscience, IMO. Maybe not to you die hards, but to the casual fan the way the game is played, including the use of "enforcers", is a HUGE turnoff.

he should of never said he would play with replacement players. no one likes a scab. im sure hes not a very well liked guy throughout the league since his game consists of nothin but tryin to beat the crap outta people, so the now the target on his chest (if they ever play again) is gonna be even bigger.

And yeah...FIGHTING is one of the reasons why hockey is in the state its in and a distance fourth, at best, in the American sports conscience, IMO. Maybe not to you die hards, but to the casual fan the way the game is played, including the use of "enforcers", is a HUGE turnoff.

187112[/snapback]

There's less fighting now than there was even a decade ago when the sport was much more popular. The game's descent into second tier status has taken place alongside a decline in fighting and the presence of enforcers like RR.

It will probably take the NHL owners going with replacement players for a portion of next season for the NHLPA to finally smarten-up and cave-in.  The irony is that those 2 years of salary that players will have lost is MORE money than they would have lost accepting the salary cap in the first place.  Oh well, as long as a salary cap gets put in place eventually and the Sabres are finally on equal footing (sort of) with the other teams, I couldn't care less about how long it takes, as long as it gets done.

187095[/snapback]

Why wait for the replacement players? I went to the Amerks game on Tuesday and had a blast. The place was rocking and you could barely tell the difference from the NHL games. The tickets were cheap, the stands were full, and the game was great. The AHL players could be the new NHL players and I don't think there'd be many complaints.

I'm 100% in favor of replacement players ASAP. The dropoff in talent isn't that much and the problem takes care of itself in a couple years anyway. Screw the NHLPA.