Salary Cap Status - per ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/44143/updating-afc-east-salary-caps

Buffalo Bills

Cap room remaining: $7.38 million

Analysis: The Bills entered the offseason with tons of cap room and promised they would use it. To the surprise of many, they certainly did by going out to get prized free agent and stud defensive end Mario Williams. The price tag was a hearty $100 million, which was a price tag other teams couldn’t or wasn’t willing to pay.

Buffalo also signed former Patriots defensive end Mark Anderson and

took care of its own players by giving receiver Steve Johnson and running back Fred Jackson contract extensions.

Add in a solid draft -- headlined by cornerback Stephon Gilmore and left tackle Cordy Glenn -- and the Bills had one of the best offseasons in the NFL.

The Bills still have about $7 million left on the cap, which is a good number. It allows them the flexibility to make a quality signing if needed. For example, if things don’t work out at wide receiver this summer, Buffalo can still go out and get a veteran like Braylon Edwards.

Miami Dolphins

Cap room remaining: $4.46 million

New York Jets

Cap room remaining: $6.04 million

New England Patriots

Cap room remaining: $10.9 million ***

Report: Wes Welker, Patriots are $6 million apart in long-term contract talks

Basically, the Patriots want Welker to take a bit of a discount to stay with Tom Brady. Welker, meanwhile, wants a deal that guarantees him just below the $21 million he would get paid playing two years under the franchise tag.

You’re talking about a distance in the range of around $6 million in guaranteed money.

1341948359[/url]' post='2501301']

Resign Byrd and Levrite before the season

That would be amazing. Doubtful though IMO. We would need to cut Edwards or Johnson in order to fit them under the cap. I bet both end up getting 6-7 mill per. A raise of over 5-6 mill per player. We don't have the room atm. I can see us resigning levitre and rolling the dice with Byrd. I think it's a mistake. I believe Byrd is going to have a monster year playing behind this DL. His demands will skyrocket after the year IMO. The question is, do we want to ensure the future and cut a talented player to do so and hurt worsen our team this year? Or do we risk losing a core player of this team in order to give it their best shot this season? Tough question. I think it's all depends on how the higher priced vets (Edwards, Johnson and maybe even Kelsey) play in TC and preseason. If others like carrington, troupe, Merriman, heard etc..show that they can compete at a level equal to big cap hit players, in could see it happening.

If I were the GM, I'd do what it takes to lock up Byrd and levitre now. They did well keeping their guys this year, but I don't know if it's a good idea with the new FA crop.

That would be amazing. Doubtful though IMO. We would need to cut Edwards or Johnson in order to fit them under the cap. I bet both end up getting 6-7 mill per. A raise of over 5-6 mill per player. We don't have the room atm. I can see us resigning levitre and rolling the dice with Byrd. I think it's a mistake. I believe Byrd is going to have a monster year playing behind this DL. His demands will skyrocket after the year IMO. The question is, do we want to ensure the future and cut a talented player to do so and hurt worsen our team this year? Or do we risk losing a core player of this team in order to give it their best shot this season? Tough question. I think it's all depends on how the higher priced vets (Edwards, Johnson and maybe even Kelsey) play in TC and preseason. If others like carrington, troupe, Merriman, heard etc..show that they can compete at a level equal to big cap hit players, in could see it happening.

If I were the GM, I'd do what it takes to lock up Byrd and levitre now. They did well keeping their guys this year, but I don't know if it's a good idea with the new FA crop.

Edwards, Johnson are possibilities.

Moorman is a possible cut.

Thigpen makes $3 million per year… he could be gone.

Brad Smith makes nearly $4 million per year.

Point is, in the next two years, enough big contracts will come off the books so that the Bills will be able to maintain a sensible and fair pay scale across the board, IMO.

Bonus money making up the year one salary would allow you to dole out 35 mil to the 2 of them year one without going over the cap.

Might hurt later but it's a reality.

Edwards, Johnson are possibilities.

Moorman is a possible cut.

Thigpen makes $3 million per year… he could be gone.

Brad Smith makes nearly $4 million per year.

Point is, in the next two years, enough big contracts will come off the books so that the Bills will be able to maintain a sensible and fair pay scale across the board, IMO.

This, and I'd add Kelsay, Merriman, and McGee (McGee and Kelsay I think have restructured so they are likely safe but you never know) to the list as possible cuts. I think we will enter the season being about 12 millions under and that money will be spent on Byrd, Levitre and Urbik.

That would be amazing. Doubtful though IMO. We would need to cut Edwards or Johnson in order to fit them under the cap. I bet both end up getting 6-7 mill per. A raise of over 5-6 mill per player.

I'm not sure it'd be that much. That's top end free agent money for a guard and free safety. If we sign them now, they avoid risk of injury/poor performance for next year, they get paid their new salary a year in advance, and they get the time value of money one year in advance. My guess is both are in the $5m area. Some nifty accounting and both fit under the cap. Or cut Edwards or Johnson. I'd be surprised if we kept both.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/44143/updating-afc-east-salary-caps

Report: Wes Welker, Patriots are $6 million apart in long-term contract talks

Basically, the Patriots want Welker to take a bit of a discount to stay with Tom Brady. Welker,

What's the bonus for getting thrown under the bus by Mrs. Brady?

Edited by Green Lightning