83% of doctors considering quiting over new healthcare law

Another hypothetical:

What if it were know that an unborn child (or glob of yet-unhuman cells, whichever you prefer) was known to have an untreatable genetic ailment or disease which, were the child to be born, would cause a disproportionate amount of resources to be spent on the healthcare of that child. Would you be in favor of a law mandating that the pregnancy be aborted, or forcing the mother (and father, if known) to pay a non-abortion tax were they to decide to keep the child? Why or why not?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most doctors get into medicine because of the earning potential, the social prestige, a family legacy, the flexible schedule, or some combination of those. Doctors are people just like the rest of us.

I disagree with that. It takes an awfully unique person to want to become a doctor. Its not all peaches and cream. Think about all the school and everything else that you need to accomplish to make it to that point of being a doctor. It takes a really special person to want to take on all of that so they can take care of sick people. People come to you sick, depressed, overwhelmed with stress that is a contributing factor to many different illnesses and here you are doing all you can to try and help them. It takes a special person to handle that type of grind. The earning potential, social prestige, & family legacy is all perks that come with a difficult job. Flexible schedule? Not for most. Many doctors are on call 24/7, surgeons can be in surgery for numerous hours at a time, ER doctors working multiple shifts. Some over a long period of time may start to reduce the hectic schedule demands and their work loads. They are people like the rest of us, awfully special people in my eyes!

All people are motivated by money... or did you get up and go to work for free today? .

So after the 9/11 attacks someone gives up his or her chance to go off to college in search of that golden parachute, that great wall street job, that financial security, and joins the military because their country needs them, because we were just attacked and are on the brink of war. Your telling me those people were motivated by money?

Edited by tomato can

Another hypothetical:

What if it were know that an unborn child (or glob of yet-unhuman cells, whichever you prefer) was known to have an untreatable genetic ailment or disease which, were the child to be born, would cause a disproportionate amount of resources to be spent on the healthcare of that child. Would you be in favor of a law mandating that the pregnancy be aborted, or forcing the mother (and father, if known) to pay a non-abortion tax were they to decide to keep the child? Why or why not?

I am pro-life so I don't want to see any unborn child aborted.

But god forbid they can one day lead a some what normal life and the only job they are capable of doing is bagging groceries and breaking down boxes behind the grocery store. The way you talk you might want them disqualified from society for not improving their employability!

Edited by tomato can

I disagree with that. It takes an awfully unique person to want to become a doctor. Its not all peaches and cream. Think about all the school and everything else that you need to accomplish to make it to that point of being a doctor. It takes a really special person to want to take on all of that so they can take care of sick people. People come to you sick, depressed, overwhelmed with stress that is a contributing factor to many different illnesses and here you are doing all you can to try and help them. It takes a special person to handle that type of grind. The earning potential, social prestige, & family legacy is all perks that come with a difficult job. Flexible schedule? Not for most. Many doctors are on call 24/7, surgeons can be in surgery for numerous hours at a time, ER doctors working multiple shifts. Some over a long period of time may start to reduce the hectic schedule demands and their work loads. They are people like the rest of us, awfully special people in my eyes!

Once again, any career that promises high end earning potential demands a massive time sink in the early stages of the career. I'm speaking to career archs. The doctors I spoke about golfing with today: one is a eye surgeon, the other an orthopedic surgeon. Both extraordinarily reputable in my area. Both have established private practices. Both cancelled their day's schedules thismorning at 6 am because I made them a better offer than working. They aren't saints, they're men. They've gone through alot to earn their money, and they now enjoy the flexibility to spend it. Trust me, it's all about the money, the prestige, the flexibility, and the legacy.

So after the 9/11 attacks someone gives up his or her chance to go off to college in search of that golden parachute, that great wall street job, that financial security, and joins the military because their country needs them, because we were just attacked and are on the brink of war. Your telling me those people were motivated by money?

Does anyone here even bother to attempt to conceal the strawmen they build, much less construct an argument that doesn't hinge on one?

I am pro-life so I don't want to see any unborn child aborted.

But god forbid they can one day lead a some what normal life and the only job they are capable of doing is bagging groceries and breaking down boxes behind the grocery store. The way you talk you might want them disqualified from society for not improving their employability!

Stop inventing my positions for me and creating strawmen. If you'd like to discuss my thoughts on the disabled, ask me about them. Until such time quit pretending to know my mind.

Once again, any career that promises high end earning potential demands a massive time sink in the early stages of the career. I'm speaking to career archs. The doctors I spoke about golfing with today: one is a eye surgeon, the other an orthopedic surgeon. Both extraordinarily reputable in my area. Both have established private practices. Both cancelled their day's schedules thismorning at 6 am because I made them a better offer than working. They aren't saints, they're men. They've gone through alot to earn their money, and they now enjoy the flexibility to spend it. Trust me, it's all about the money, the prestige, the flexibility, and the legacy.

Does anyone here even bother to attempt to conceal the strawmen they build, much less construct an argument that doesn't hinge on one?

Stop inventing my positions for me and creating strawmen. If you'd like to discuss my thoughts on the disabled, ask me about them. Until such time quit pretending to know my mind.

trust you? why should we? you come off as cynical and superficial. you have doctor friends who inconvenience and possibly endanger pts by cancelling appts at the last minute and you find that act to be human nature and innate. sorry, not everyone is primarily motivated by money. i know a doc who drove a 15 year old subaru, worked past 70 all the while having several million in his retirement account. i know another doc that by all appearances, lives for appearances. the finest of everything and likes to be seen conspicuously consuming. which o ne do you think cosidered med school, finance and law simultaneously? which one only considered medicine?

and logic? you draw a conclusion based on a golf game with a few self centered people who happen to be doctors? not exactly a representative sampling based on my experience which includes much more than a golf round or two.