Heckuva Job Rahmy

I'm aware. Unfortunatly the problem has grown so large that there are no tidy solutions to be found. The lesson to walk away with is, "Let's not sociall engineer ourselves into a situation like this again, OK?"

I got you. It's like using dynamite to put out an oil fire.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got you. It's like using dynamite to put out an oil fire.

No. It's like realizing you've got an oil fire, but not the technology to extinguish it, so instead of squandering what resources you do have in a futile attempt to snuff it out, you simply contain it and allow it to burn itself out, while shifting public policy in a way that will prevent new oil fires from starting in the future.

I think you're being too literal with the nickname Rahmbo.

So in conclusion, the mayor of a city is not really responsible to oversee the safety and welfare of its citizens.

I look forward to the day when we elect some real people to lead. People not afraid to step up and acknowledge their responsibilities. Until then, I guess we'll just have to continue living with the gutless leadership of pussified dolts who seek out others to blame for their problems, elected by people who are perfectly fine with that kind of leadership.

Edited by LABillzFan

So in conclusion, the mayor of a city is not really responsible to oversee the safety and welfare of its citizens.

I look forward to the day when we elect some real people to lead. People not afraid to step up and acknowledge their responsibilities. Until then, I guess we'll just have to continue living with the gutless leadership of pussified dolts who seek out others to blame for their problems, elected by people who are perfectly fine with that kind of leadership.

If that's what I think, then clearly, you believe that Rahm Emanuel and only Rahm Emanuel is to blame for Chicago's violence. If you're going to make bone-headed assertions on somebody else's behalf, it's only fitting when others return the favor.

If that's what I think, then clearly, you believe that Rahm Emanuel and only Rahm Emanuel is to blame for Chicago's violence. If you're going to make bone-headed assertions on somebody else's behalf, it's only fitting when others return the favor.

Dammit. I genuinely thought you were someone else. If I had, for one brief moment, realized it was you I was chatting with, I would have never wasted either of our time.

Carry on.

Right.

It's not you. It's me.

I genuinely thought you were someone else. I've been posting in between proposals and was just banging out responses, and when I saw where the conversation was going I did a double take and realized my error. There is no way I would knowingly have ever wasted my time trying to have a dialogue with you.

It's like if I suddenly started having a conversation with MDP without realizing it. Same thing. Nothing personal. Totally my fault. I'll pay closer attention next time.

I genuinely thought you were someone else. I've been posting in between proposals and was just banging out responses, and when I saw where the conversation was going I did a double take and realized my error. There is no way I would knowingly have ever wasted my time trying to have a dialogue with you.

It's like if I suddenly started having a conversation with MDP without realizing it. Same thing. Nothing personal. Totally my fault. I'll pay closer attention next time.

Well, then let's have a dialogue about it, seriously.

In a city of 3 million people, the third largest metropolitan area in America, but the 55th most densely populated city, a city that doesn't have bad "blocks" but bad "areas" (like the West Side--significant enough to be represented by one of the three white bars on our city's flag), with so many criminals concentrated in an area SO spread out, for a problem that's been decades--nay, centuries--in the making, with all the institutional short comings ranging from the police, to social programs, to the education system, to the STAUNCH racial segregation that plague Chicago, how could a swell in violence--the likes of which we see EVERY year when the temperatures go up (and last week they went up in record proportion)--how could murderous gang activity suddenly be the fault of a mayor who's been in office for 15 months?

And how am I to believe that the political leanings of this message board don't taint the perception or the job performance evaluation of the former Presidential Chief of Staff for an administration so many of you so forthrightly disdain?

Emmanuel & his new Police Chief changed the way they interacted with the gangs and has blamed the spike in murders on his predecessor's policy. (sound familiar?) Who knows which policy is the better one, but if the proof is in the pudding, Rahm is losing.

http://news.yahoo.com/homicides-spike-chicago-mayor-defends-tactics-004217621.html

CHICAGO (AP) — "Chicago's mayor and police superintendent publicly defended their new gang-fighting strategy Monday amid growing criticism that the changes are failing and a big reason why the city's homicide rate has soared this year.

After weeks of media reports about Chicago homicides — which so far are up nearly 38 percent from last year — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy defiantly said during a news conference that the gang strategies in place before McCarthy arrived were the ones that failed, not the new ones.

More beat officers are now on the streets and staying in specific areas, replacing the large, specialized units that would temporarily drop into crime-ridden areas. Emanuel and McCarthy said they have no plans to change that strategy, and the mayor announced Monday that he's devoting another $4 million to tear down vacant buildings where gang members live and store guns and drugs."

Well, then let's have a dialogue about it, seriously.

In a city of 3 million people, the third largest metropolitan area in America, but the 55th most densely populated city, a city that doesn't have bad "blocks" but bad "areas" (like the West Side--significant enough to be represented by one of the three white bars on our city's flag), with so many criminals concentrated in an area SO spread out, for a problem that's been decades--nay, centuries--in the making, with all the institutional short comings ranging from the police, to social programs, to the education system, to the STAUNCH racial segregation that plague Chicago, how could a swell in violence--the likes of which we see EVERY year when the temperatures go up (and last week they went up in record proportion)--how could murderous gang activity suddenly be the fault of a mayor who's been in office for 15 months?

And how am I to believe that the political leanings of this message board don't taint the perception or the job performance evaluation of the former Presidential Chief of Staff for an administration so many of you so forthrightly disdain?

Let's change the word. If it's not his fault would you consider it his responsibilty?

Emmanuel & his new Police Chief changed the way they interacted with the gangs and has blamed the spike in murders on his predecessor's policy. (sound familiar?) Who knows which policy is the better one, but if the proof is in the pudding, Rahm is losing.

http://news.yahoo.com/homicides-spike-chicago-mayor-defends-tactics-004217621.html

CHICAGO (AP) — "Chicago's mayor and police superintendent publicly defended their new gang-fighting strategy Monday amid growing criticism that the changes are failing and a big reason why the city's homicide rate has soared this year.

After weeks of media reports about Chicago homicides — which so far are up nearly 38 percent from last year — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy defiantly said during a news conference that the gang strategies in place before McCarthy arrived were the ones that failed, not the new ones.

More beat officers are now on the streets and staying in specific areas, replacing the large, specialized units that would temporarily drop into crime-ridden areas. Emanuel and McCarthy said they have no plans to change that strategy, and the mayor announced Monday that he's devoting another $4 million to tear down vacant buildings where gang members live and store guns and drugs."

One point being that, regardless of whether or not you think Emanual and McCarthy are responsible for the increased murder rate, you can hardly give them any credit for blaming policies they killed for causing the murder rate to increase after they killed those programs.

But if there's one thing I've learned about the looney left after all this time, it's that cause doesn't necessarily have to precede effect.

One point being that, regardless of whether or not you think Emanual and McCarthy are responsible for the increased murder rate, you can hardly give them any credit for blaming policies they killed for causing the murder rate to increase after they killed those programs.

But if there's one thing I've learned about the looney left after all this time, it's that cause doesn't necessarily have to precede effect.

It's the retarded cousin of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Either that or it's the only fallacy that owns a time machine .

I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were going to (or did) temporarily go back to the old method. I could be mistaken though so I'll try to look it up.

Let's change the word. If it's not his fault would you consider it his responsibilty?

Well, just off the top of my head:

The aldermen

the chief of police

the community leaders

the local pastors

the parents

the teachers

the neighborhood elders

the state/federal policy makers that keep drugs illegal

the gun makers

the gun abolishers

the "job creators" who haven't created squat

the media for not giving these issues more attention

the generations of gangsters who have left this behavior persist

-and, since this a bootstraps crowd-

the criminals themselves for not having the foresight and will power to evade a life of crime

-these include-

The corner kids

the soldiers

the traffickers

the growers

the sellers

-and, of course-

the users.

-I suppose I should also mention-

the heat. :pirate:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were going to (or did) temporarily go back to the old method. I could be mistaken though so I'll try to look it up.

To this and to GG's point, a strategy implemented (probably in the last six months) was to put more cops on the street. Obviously the strategy hasn't paid dividends yet, or those cops have been grossly misappropriated.

Well, just off the top of my head:

The aldermen

the chief of police

the community leaders

the local pastors

the parents

the teachers

the neighborhood elders

the state/federal policy makers that keep drugs illegal

the gun makers

the gun abolishers

the "job creators" who haven't created squat

the media for not giving these issues more attention

the generations of gangsters who have left this behavior persist

-and, since this a bootstraps crowd-

the criminals themselves for not having the foresight and will power to evade a life of crime

-these include-

The corner kids

the soldiers

the traffickers

the growers

the sellers

-and, of course-

the users.

-I suppose I should also mention-

the heat. :pirate:

To this and to GG's point, a strategy implemented (probably in the last six months) was to put more cops on the street. Obviously the strategy hasn't paid dividends yet, or those cops have been grossly misappropriated.

I take it you're not the head of anything.

Which is of course the result of Global Warming® which means we should enact a Carbon Tax Credit Trading System to stem the murder rate in Chicago

Good point.

I take it you're not the head of anything.

Personal shots already? That didn't take long.

I'm aware. Unfortunatly the problem has grown so large that there are no tidy solutions to be found. The lesson to walk away with is, "Let's not sociall engineer ourselves into a situation like this again, OK?"

There is no silver bullet that will cure all. But if business and individuals were unshackled by regulation, tax and penalties there would be huge growth. The benefits of that rain down on everyone. Not everyone gets rich but life gets better for everyone across the board. Less people unemployed. Less people out there being aholes. Everyone generally happier