German vs American machine guns.

Wow, that was surreal watching that. Almost transports you back in time and makes you feel as if you're in the position of being a newb soldier. Loved seeing all of that hardware...pretty fascinating stuff.

Im going to call bullshiznit on the narrator when he says "the new guy is crapping himself, but the rest of the platoon knows there is nothing to fear" :ph34r:

Wow, that was surreal watching that. Almost transports you back in time and makes you feel as if you're in the position of being a newb soldier. Loved seeing all of that hardware...pretty fascinating stuff.

Im going to call bullshiznit on the narrator when he says "the new guy is crapping himself, but the rest of the platoon knows there is nothing to fear" :ph34r:

Oh it's pure baloney all right. "Don't worry about those 1400 RPM the Germans are throwing at you. They can't hit a thing. Well, most of the time anyway." :rolleyes:

Oh it's pure baloney all right. "Don't worry about those 1400 RPM the Germans are throwing at you. They can't hit a thing. Well, most of the time anyway." :rolleyes:

lol, exactly...I also wonder whether the comparison was fully truthful or if there was a pinch (or more than a pinch) of propaganda thrown in for good measure. It would be interesting to see how many hits those guns earned in a re-match. Not that I'm being cynical when it comes to our government, of course 0:)

lol, exactly...I also wonder whether the comparison was fully truthful or if there was a pinch (or more than a pinch) of propaganda thrown in for good measure. It would be interesting to see how many hits those guns earned in a re-match. Not that I'm being cynical when it comes to our government, of course 0:)

Well what I thought was corny about it was the narration-"see if a German fires 30 shots at you you're only going to get hit 18 time's!" "Now if it was a American gun you'd be hit 24 times!" Oh swell, sign me up. :rolleyes:

Our government would lie? Tell me it is not so..... :unsure:

Well what I thought was corny about it was the narration-"see if a German fires 30 shots at you you're only going to get hit 18 time's!" "Now if it was a American gun you'd be hit 24 times!" Oh swell, sign me up. :rolleyes:

I know, right? lol I don't care who you are or how much experience those soldiers have, when faced with being blown away by that German .42, it's going to be intimidating as all hell.

I think coming to this realization is the adult version of finding out Santa isn't real as a kid.

But, I pay my taxes to help this country flourish? I think you and I are the only ones with the sanity...because why else would we pay so many taxes? Why else would Texas send a huge bill to Amazon.com?

Hyperbole, but not completely inaccurate. Newbies hear every shot as aimed at them; veterans are better able to judge the threat.

Hyperbole, but not completely inaccurate. Newbies hear every shot as aimed at them; veterans are better able to judge the threat.

Do you think the accuracy results were legit?

I keep picturing my Grandfather and great uncles sitting in a windowless room in metal chairs watching this video.

Do you think the accuracy results were legit?

Yes, for what they were...a half-assed demo with almost no real-world application. Never mind that accuracy would typically be FAR more dependent on the training of the gunner and condition of the weapon (if you don't keep it clean, you'll lose accuracy very quickly)...the difference between 60% of your shots hitting a 5' target vs. 80% hitting the same target isn't much of a difference if you're the target.

I keep picturing my Grandfather and great uncles sitting in a windowless room in metal chairs watching this video.

Odds are they slept through them, anyway.

There's a HELL of a lot of propaganda in that video, and very little practical information beyond "keep moving". The whole "US machine guns are better because they require less ammo" was downright hilarious, given that the US Army was remarkably profligate with ammo as a matter of doctrine. And I like the end, where they grenade the German MG position. :lol:...no, the American GI goes to ground and calls for about three battalion's worth of artillery, and doesn't move until he damn well gets it.

I've recommended it before, I'll do it again: http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Fire-Land-South-Pacific/dp/0140246967. Good sections on both machine guns and the reactions of men under fire.

1341706332[/url]' post='2499474']

Yes, for what they were...a half-assed demo with almost no real-world application. Never mind that accuracy would typically be FAR more dependent on the training of the gunner and condition of the weapon (if you don't keep it clean, you'll lose accuracy very quickly)...the difference between 60% of your shots hitting a 5' target vs. 80% hitting the same target isn't much of a difference if you're the target.

There's a HELL of a lot of propaganda in that video, and very little practical information beyond "keep moving". The whole "US machine guns are better because they require less ammo" was downright hilarious, given that the US Army was remarkably profligate with ammo as a matter of doctrine. And I like the end, where they grenade the German MG position. :lol:...no, the American GI goes to ground and calls for about three battalion's worth of artillery, and doesn't move until he damn well gets it.

I've recommended it before, I'll do it again: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0140246967. Good sections on both machine guns and the reactions of men under fire.

That link is 404ed. What's the book?

I've recommended it before, I'll do it again: http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Fire-Land-South-Pacific/dp/0140246967. Good sections on both machine guns and the reactions of men under fire.

Very interesting...I love this stuff and will definitely pick up a copy of that book. Just cause I'm fascinated by your reading habits, how long did it take you to get through those 608 pages?

Very interesting...I love this stuff and will definitely pick up a copy of that book. Just cause I'm fascinated by your reading habits, how long did it take you to get through those 608 pages?

Couple of hours.

(You think I know everything because I read slow? I'll read two books this weekend.)

Couple of hours.

(You think I know everything because I read slow? I'll read two books this weekend.)

LOL...that is so awesome, man. It's very rare that I ever find myself being envious of someone in any way, but I truly and sincerely am in awe of your reading ability. I would love to be able to do that.

The MG 42's barrel was prone to overheating if firing continuously for around 150 - 200 rounds. The barrel had to be swapped out which took about 5 - 9 seconds and that's when they weren't able to hit you 8 times out of 10. :unsure:

Nice look at the Grease Gun there.

The WWII GIs went to war with a lot of pretty inferior equipment - rifles, machine guns, tanks, planes and ships. We caught up though but mostly in quantity and it took about three years. The Browning 50 cal machine gun "Ma 2" is one for the ages though. It's still in use today.

The MG 42's barrel was prone to overheating if firing continuously for around 150 - 200 rounds. The barrel had to be swapped out which took about 5 - 9 seconds and that's when they weren't able to hit you 8 times out of 10. :unsure:

Nice look at the Grease Gun there.

The WWII GIs went to war with a lot of pretty inferior equipment - rifles, machine guns, tanks, planes and ships. We caught up though but mostly in quantity and it took about three years. The Browning 50 cal machine gun "Ma 2" is one for the ages though. It's still in use today.

Well I won't say that about the M1 Garand. And it's ma deuce :nana: