Coming to Buffalo to see my first NFL game

I'm planning on coming to Buffalo for the home opener. It will be my first time in Buffalo and my first NFL game. I just have a few questions I was hoping some of you could help me with.

1. Does anyone know the best route from Richmond, VA to Buffalo? Is it reasonable to ride a motorcycle? What are the tolls like?

2. What's the best place in the stadium to see the game if you're not trying to drop $600 on a pair of tickets?

3. What's a good hotel to stay on the cheap without getting mugged?

4. If I'm heading back Sun how late should I plan my departure?

Don't worry I'm sure you can get great tickets for $100 almost every seat in the Ralph has great sightlines.

What type of atmosphere are you looking for in a hotel ? Something in the city near more night life ? Or some place in the burbs more convienent to the stadium ? Nothing in buffalo is more than 20 mins away.

I live just North of Richmond and have a cycle and that would be a long ride. I would do it if I had a few days but not Sunday night after a football game...but that's me. I do not drive that route very much anymore. Another option - catch a Sat morning flight on Southwest out of BWI to BUF and return Sunday on the 7 pm flight. Right now $193 RT. No traffic Sat morning to BWI or returning on Sun night (everybody is going in the opposite direction). Listen to the Sunday night game on the way back and Bills highlights. :thumbsup:

I do this for about 3 games a year but plan ahead to get inexpensive flights. You can also fly from RIC to BUF that weekend for ~$290 RT. Depart BUF Sunday night around 7 pm. Departure time may seem tight on Sunday evening but I have never missed that flight. Leave stadium 5:30-5:45 and get to BUF before 6:30.

I actually both fly and drive. In terms of flights, Mr. Info dead on (hence his name LOL).

Hotels sell out fast in Downtown Buffalo for Bills game..for the opener think most are already booked. So depending where you want to stay , you best make a reservation pronto.

In terms of driving direction, following route takes me 8 h 30(not including stops) from UR to Grand Island I also would not do on motorcycle.

95 n

17 n

66 w

81 n

522 n

70 w to breezwood

76w towards Pittsburgh

99 north

322 w

Some other small roads from to 80 w(look at a map..these are pretty obvious )

219 north

If you wanted to go on bike, Take 64w to15 north through Gordonsville, then get on the 231 North through Sperryville where you will get 522 north through Front Royal..awesome scenery , great road, add 30 minutes to trip. I would think that is a two day ride.

Edited by plenzmd1

Thanks for the advice, guys. The bike is definitely out (I knew it was a stretch.) I'm taking my wife to Niagara Falls on Sat to get her on board so I'm just deciding whether to drive or fly in & rent a car. The latest flight out to RIC looks like it leaves at 7 pm which could cramp my style, so I might just pop an adderall and driving through the night. It's a great way to avoid traffic; in the South anyway.

Thanks for the advice, guys. The bike is definitely out (I knew it was a stretch.) I'm taking my wife to Niagara Falls on Sat to get her on board so I'm just deciding whether to drive or fly in & rent a car. The latest flight out to RIC looks like it leaves at 7 pm which could cramp my style, so I might just pop an adderall and driving through the night. It's a great way to avoid traffic; in the South anyway.

The drive is not bad..when I am by myself I fly, when it is all 4 of us we drive. To me, quickest you can go door to door from Richmond on a flight is 5 hours, drive is 8 and a half, so you are saving 3 hours or so flying at best.

If you are going to the Falls on the Saturday before the game, the Sheraton Four Points is recently opened in Niagara Falls and quite nice. I have stayed there plenty this last year while my brother was sick..highly recommend it. Also, plenty of hotels on the Canadian side, pretty easy to get across bridge on a Sunday morning.

If you are coming home after the game, the Stadium is right near 219, so drive home be less than 8 hours if you let traffic clear a bit.

Edited by plenzmd1

The drive is not bad..when I am by myself I fly, when it is all 4 of us we drive. To me, quickest you can go door to door from Richmond on a flight is 5 hours, drive is 8 and a half, so you are saving 3 hours or so flying at best.

If you are going to the Falls on the Saturday before the game, the Sheraton Four Points is recently opened in Niagara Falls and quite nice. I have stayed there plenty this last year while my brother was sick..highly recommend it. Also, plenty of hotels on the Canadian side, pretty easy to get across bridge on a Sunday morning.

If you are coming home after the game, the Stadium is right near 219, so drive home be less than 8 hours if you let traffic clear a bit.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was worried about the ride back b/c I have to be in Richmond on Monday but 8 1/2 hours doesn't sound bad. I hadn't thought of Canada, but we just got passports so maybe we'll venture across the border to view Canadians in their native habitat.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was worried about the ride back b/c I have to be in Richmond on Monday but 8 1/2 hours doesn't sound bad. I hadn't thought of Canada, but we just got passports so maybe we'll venture across the border to view Canadians in their native habitat.

I would definitely go to the Canadian side of the falls if I were you. It's way nicer than the US side.

I'm planning on coming to Buffalo for the home opener. It will be my first time in Buffalo and my first NFL game. I just have a few questions I was hoping some of you could help me with.

1. Does anyone know the best route from Richmond, VA to Buffalo? Is it reasonable to ride a motorcycle? What are the tolls like?

Come up 95 to the DC Beltway to 270. Take 270 to 15 north. That takes you right through PA to 390 and/or the Southern Tier Expressway.

Alternately, I've done 270 to 70 to 68 to 219, which might be a bit shorter for a Bills game. But I suspect it's a little less bike-friendly (though I'm just guessing, as I don't ride).

Anybody know what the city is on the Canadian side of the Falls? Google maps shows Niagra Falls but I just wanted to make sure...

Toronto

3. What's a good hotel to stay on the cheap without getting mugged?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90754-hotels-for-the-home-opener/

And what Mead said, stop by Hammers Lot for the Two Bills Drive Annual Home Opener Tailgate (TBDAHOT).

Come up 95 to the DC Beltway to 270. Take 270 to 15 north. That takes you right through PA to 390 and/or the Southern Tier Expressway.

Alternately, I've done 270 to 70 to 68 to 219, which might be a bit shorter for a Bills game. But I suspect it's a little less bike-friendly (though I'm just guessing, as I don't ride).

Thanks Tom, I knew underneath it all you really were a nice guy.