Jay Rosen - Fireworks Technician

Just Jack

If I wanted to take the time to do it, I'd mash up the local news cast with audio from "Anchorman" to have Ron Burgundy explain to the denizens of San Diego what happened last night.

"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

Please internet, don't disappoint.

I was on vacation on a 9th floor outdoor terrace about 10 blocks from the Bay waiting for the show to start. Three different areas of the horizon simultaneously exploded in a mass of colors. It lasted maybe 15 seconds, and each of the three was the most intense fireworks burst I've ever seen. The videos I've seen on TV later don't come close to doing it justice.

I'm thinkin' - - man, this show is gonna be great!

Then just a lot of car alarms from the concussive effect of the simultaneous blasts.

The one or two at a time launches that followed from the one barge that worked properly were incredibly puny in comparison.

I think I enjoyed the screw-up more than I would have enjoyed the planned display.

They should do it like that every year.

LOL!

Did you clap when it was finished... Priceless... Hope nobody got hurt.

Everybody in the group I was with made appreciative comments, but nobody really clapped because we all just thought it was a big opening for a longer show. It took a while to realize what happened, especially with one barge (out of 4) continuing with the planned 15-20 minute show.

As far as I know from seeing news reports on TV, nobody got hurt.