What Is Your First Impulse when you find Money?

millbank

Isn't this all just common sense and a sense of decency? If the owner is identifiable with even the slightest bit of effort, you give it back. If the owner is identifiable with a great deal of effort...well, screw 'em.

thats my rule of thumb.

A number of years ago my wife found a $100 bill as we were walking out of a restaurant - I would have just kept it, but she thinks she is doing the right thing by walking in and giving it to the hostess to 'hold in case someone came back looking for it'. As soon as the girl grabbed it, it was obvious she had no intention of giving it to anyone. Don't think my wife will ever make that mistake again.

That's just one of the reasons I always memorize the serial numbers of the money I carry.

You can memorize the serial numbers of the money you carry, but keeping a hamburger from falling apart is a challenge.... :lol:

Yes, I know, I know...

A few years back I took 60 bucks out of the ATM... Was gonna get gas and what not... I was talking to my son and got out to the pump and I couldn't find the money. I got a nasty habit of driving to the ATM and then folding the money and placing in under my leg. What could have happened to it? Did it blow away as I got out? I can't even remember having the ATM dispense it... I got the receipt. Called the bank and they agreed to not debit the account until they audited the machine... A week later, they say the money was dispensed... It either blew away when I got up to get gas, I tucked it somewhere in car accidently while talking to my son... Or else I never pulled it from the machine! Boy was I bummed and pissed! There was a car behind me... Did he take it while still in the machine?

I guess it was somebody's lucky day out there! If it was the car behind me... You think he would have drove up to me and honked the horn... I would have done that... I guess people aren't like that.

This has been years... But can you ask them to pull the video?

A few years back I took 60 bucks out of the ATM... Was gonna get gas and what not... I was talking to my son and got out to the pump and I couldn't find the money. I got a nasty habit of driving to the ATM and then folding the money and placing in under my leg. What could have happened to it? Did it blow away as I got out? I can't even remember having the ATM dispense it... I got the receipt. Called the bank and they agreed to not debit the account until they audited the machine... A week later, they say the money was dispensed... It either blew away when I got up to get gas, I tucked it somewhere in car accidently while talking to my son... Or else I never pulled it from the machine! Boy was I bummed and pissed! There was a car behind me... Did he take it while still in the machine?

I guess it was somebody's lucky day out there! If it was the car behind me... You think he would have drove up to me and honked the horn... I would have done that... I guess people aren't like that.

This has been years... But can you ask them to pull the video?

I think the general consensus of this thread is people tend to do the right thing if it's obvious. Not all, but id guess a majority would give it back if they saw you lose it/knew where to find you.

Yeah... That's what I am hoping... Probably fell out on the ground when I went to the pump... Didn't really look that hard... I scoured the car though, total (*^*&%^$^#thing to do... Ahhhh, whoever bought that car might find it under a seat somewhere (even know I looked and looked)!

Speaking of one time... The wife pulled up to that same ATM in the dead of winter... 20 below zero and like all chicks, could reach to get to the ATM... LOL... So she got out and accidently locked her keys in while the car was running... A few cars behind her too! Funny thing is, she trusted the person behind her to take her home (just a few miles away) and get the spare key! I said: "What the hell were you thinking!" She said: "It was 20 below zero." "All the weirdo and sickos were home." Wallbash!

Wow /dev! Who the !@#$ do you associate with? :-P

I worked with a guy that found $80 outside of work. He turned it into security and they told him if no one placed a claim in two weeks, he could keep it. Two weeks later we had a really good lunch at a local restaurant.

My story, not money, but an ATM card in a machine that was still logged in. I hadn't seen anyone at the machine when I walked up to it, so I couldn't chase anyone down with it. Instead I turned it into the mall security office. In hindsight, what else I should have done was also call the number on the back to let their bank know it was found and turned in.

You don't want to mess around with that, you'd be on video and on the hook doing time! Not sure if you can post in the pokey!

A story in the news I remember from years ago. Some guys stopped at a rest area on the Thruway. They were wondering what would happen when they put a drivers license in the ATM. They then noticed the cash door on the machine was open. So, they grabbed the cash. But by putting their DL in the machine, it activated the camera, and record the mag strip info from the DL.

My first impulse is always to give it back to who it belongs to.

But if it's a bill (or a few) laying on the ground, that impulse quickly passes simply because of the sheer impossibility of identifying the owner. ("Excuse me...did you drop a twenty?" "Why yes, I did, thank you!" "Prove it.")

That's just one of the reasons I always memorize the serial numbers of the money I carry.

jack reacher could do that