What Is Your First Impulse when you find Money?

millbank

During my daily walk the other day walking through Stratford, came upon an item looking down at road that appeared a interesting item, kind of fluttered a bit was a curiosity. On furthered inspection it appeared to be a twenty dollar bill. At this I quickly picked it up looked over at a lady in car waiting for traffic to clear, I showed bill as though to say... "what the hell", she laughed and said enjoy. My response to her was , hope this was not badly needed by person needing it. Got to admit first thought was , yikes is it real? yay me, found twenty. Then after this felt some guilt to ponder , if there be a person around who may have lost it, or should i put it in the good will or church collection box, after all my teaching tells me when we are blessed with good fortune it should be used to make others better, to not be selfish. Still sticking in my pocket ponder just putting in my personal pot, buying a few more groceries and forgetting the hand wringing.

My question is when you have found money , what was your first thought? Is your first impulse , yay me, pizza/wings/ beer money!, do you quickly look around and put it in your pocket and get the heck out of area, do you immediately look around to see if anyone is in area who may have lost it? Got to admit for me felt a little bit chastened, and selfish that my initial thought was my good fortune.. How is it for you?

Depends on the situation. A few years ago I found a wallet in Las Vegas at a table in a public space. Clearly, that belonged to somebody, so I waited for them to return, which they did. If they hadn't, that's something you should turn into the police.

That being said, random money found in the road is yours. I'd say $100 is the cutoff, for me. Anything more should be turned in.

I'll never forget the time I was 8 years old and found a $50 bill on the floor at the grocery store. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I turned it into the cashier, who promptly put it in her pocket. Lesson learned.

If it's clearly not connected to somebody, and it's less than $100, it's finders keepers. Do with it what you please.

I'll never forget the time I was 8 years old and found a $50 bill on the floor at the grocery store. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I turned it into the cashier, who promptly put it in her pocket. Lesson learned.

That being said, random money found in the road is yours. I'd say $100 is the cutoff, for me. Anything more should be turned in.

I'm confused. You think the cashier would have acted differently if it was $100 instead of $50?

My first impulse is always to give it back to who it belongs to.

But if it's a bill (or a few) laying on the ground, that impulse quickly passes simply because of the sheer impossibility of identifying the owner. ("Excuse me...did you drop a twenty?" "Why yes, I did, thank you!" "Prove it.")

That's just one of the reasons I always memorize the serial numbers of the money I carry.

My first impulse is always to give it back to who it belongs to.

But if it's a bill (or a few) laying on the ground, that impulse quickly passes simply because of the sheer impossibility of identifying the owner. ("Excuse me...did you drop a twenty?" "Why yes, I did, thank you!" "Prove it.")

That's just one of the reasons I always memorize the serial numbers of the money I carry.

Thats why I color a big red phallus going into the President's ear on all my money. Its a lot easier.

I'm confused. You think the cashier would have acted differently if it was $100 instead of $50?

No, not at all. The $100 is just my personal cutoff without feeling guilty. For some people, it might be $500, for others, it might be nonexistent. To each their own.

On my first day at my current job, I found nearly $1,800 cash (a little more) sitting on top of a pay machine in a parking garage. It was about 7:30 in the morning. It was just sitting there in a brown envelope, along with a college text book, and a notebook.

My first instinct was, honestly "holy crap...I could use this money!" I was just coming off of being really under-employed for nearly a year, and bills were piling up. The notion of keeping it crossed my mind, for a second, I have to admit. But it was only a second. I started thinking more, about how ****ty I have felt, losing far less money than that.

As there was no name on the text book or in the notebook, I called the university police (I work at a university) to report it...not more than 20 mintues later, a university police officer, and a young girl, who had obviously been crying came to claim the money. Apparently, she had left it there the night before, and was frantically searching for it all night...she was preparing to make her first tuition installment, which is why she had the cash on her. She wasn't particularly grateful, almost grabbed it, like I had stolen from her or something... I just chalked that up to stress.

No, not at all. The $100 is just my personal cutoff without feeling guilty. For some people, it might be $500, for others, it might be nonexistent. To each their own.

i believe it likely vary from one area to another, jurisdiction, regarding amount of money found and what would be responsible legal course of action. Think in many cases a twenty, fifty ect police are going to tell you,,, good for you , stick it in your pocket. For higher amounts, it possible that organization, individual may vary well be able to identify lost location and sum of money and make reasonable claim to it. Suppose that would be the real character knowing call for a individual, if one was to find a large sum of money as to how they would handle such a issue. We all are aware of the right thing to do, but given the nature of life, the economic times we live, it can at times be easy enough to rationalize not necessarily correct responses or behaviors. At any rate got to think a larger sum of money handed into authorities in most places there be a time frame where it is kept where person may make claim to it. After such a date, the monies would go to finder. ,

For me, it was the introspective nature of this find and character challenge it brought on...:)

Edited by millbank

Found bills on the street, especially in relatively small amounts like this, are near impossible to trace back to anyone. In the past, when I've found money, Its been one of 2 thoughts:

I needed money to pay this bill, and the universe came through. Yay karma. And go home and pay that bill.

I don't need money because my bills are paid. Yay Karma. And go take a friend out to lunch... compliments of the universe.

On my first day at my current job, I found nearly $1,800 cash (a little more) sitting on top of a pay machine in a parking garage. It was about 7:30 in the morning. It was just sitting there in a brown envelope, along with a college text book, and a notebook.

My first instinct was, honestly "holy crap...I could use this money!" I was just coming off of being really under-employed for nearly a year, and bills were piling up. The notion of keeping it crossed my mind, for a second, I have to admit. But it was only a second. I started thinking more, about how ****ty I have felt, losing far less money than that.

As there was no name on the text book or in the notebook, I called the university police (I work at a university) to report it...not more than 20 mintues later, a university police officer, and a young girl, who had obviously been crying came to claim the money. Apparently, she had left it there the night before, and was frantically searching for it all night...she was preparing to make her first tuition installment, which is why she had the cash on her. She wasn't particularly grateful, almost grabbed it, like I had stolen from her or something... I just chalked that up to stress.

wow cool story, I would have done the same thing.

To answer the question. If I find money that can be traced back to its correct owner I will do so. Like finding a wallet or something like that. If its a 20 dollar bill lying in the road with no way of knowing where it came from I just pocket it and don't give it another thought. I think the most I have ever found was around $85 lying in the street at 1:00am after leaving a bar and walking thru a neighborhood to get to my car.

A cool story, my wife lost her wallet in Hawaii while on vacation. We got the wallet back a week later in the US mail with the money still in it. Nice people are out there.

When I was 12 I think, I was riding the bus home and saw a role of money next to the curb at one of the stops. Even though I lived like a mile from there I got off and picked it up. $32 bucks! My first reaction was candy and toys.

When I was traveling with a job after high school in Cudahy WI. Me and a man named Jim were doing some work in an elderly women's home. She lived alone. We found a wad of money in her floor joist. It looked as though it had been there for awhile. Yes I admit my first thought was to skim from it but I wouldnt have been able to live with stealing from that sweet old lady. Jim gave it to her and she was so happy. She told us her late husband was a gambler and he used to hide money from her. Some how the mayor found out and they put an article in the local newspaper. I think it was around $2500. She wanted to give us an award but we didnt take it. Thats a story Ill always remember.

Well first I see if there's a fishing line in it and if not, I grab it and see if it is counterfeit. If it isn't, I buy anything I like in the nearest store that I like.

I don't think people should turn a plain old dollar bill in. If some godly force put it in your path, I tend to believe its a gift from Him and that you can do what you please with it. Anyone that turns it in for some reason is over thinking the entire situation and is being naive. Nice but naive since there is no way that the money will given to the owner and you just wasted a chance at easy money.

Edited by Teen Insight

When I was 12 I think, I was riding the bus home and saw a role of money next to the curb at one of the stops. Even though I lived like a mile from there I got off and picked it up. $32 bucks! My first reaction was candy and toys.

When I was traveling with a job after high school in Cudahy WI. Me and a man named Jim were doing some work in an elderly women's home. She lived alone. We found a wad of money in her floor joist. It looked as though it had been there for awhile. Yes I admit my first thought was to skim from it but I wouldnt have been able to live with stealing from that sweet old lady. Jim gave it to her and she was so happy. She told us her late husband was a gambler and he used to hide money from her. Some how the mayor found out and they put an article in the local newspaper. I think it was around $2500. She wanted to give us an award but we didnt take it. Thats a story Ill always remember.

Cool story, good job!

Isn't this all just common sense and a sense of decency? If the owner is identifiable with even the slightest bit of effort, you give it back. If the owner is identifiable with a great deal of effort...well, screw 'em.