I pray to God that I am wrong

Anon Y. Mous

Shannahan just doesnt impress me as a coach.  What has he won without Joe Montana or John Elway?  Great players make great coaches sometimes.  Same can be said of Holmgren with Favre and #16.

187033[/snapback]

I think they're both great coaches. I believe their recent problems stem from trying to be GM's at the same time. I don't know if they could be great GM's while someone else coached, but I think the record is pretty clear they can't be successful while doing both jobs simultaneously.

I think they're both great coaches. I believe their recent problems stem from trying to be GM's at the same time. I don't know if they could be great GM's while someone else coached, but I think the record is pretty clear they can't be successful while doing both jobs simultaneously.

187056[/snapback]

I agree completely with Shanahan (but am not so sure about Holmgren). I think the coaching is still quite good, he has an above average ground game year in and year out almost despite his personnel, but for some reason they're not identifying talent like they used to. Still, even though they haven't won a playoff game since Elway retired, they've been in the playoff hunt most seasons. There's soemthing to be said for that in this league.

In my mind, Bill Walsh, Brett Favre and Ron Wolf made Holmgren though.