TJ Graham's contract

I'm already getting soured by this hold out... I honestly could care less if he signs or not. In the history of the league, hold out rookies never benefit from missing their first camp. You're a 3rd rounder that needs to prove your worth, how about taking the high road, get on a team and contribute, prove your worth, THEN ask for deserved dollars. Maybe these rookies who hold out know they need to get as much as they can up front for fear of making it... A-la Aaron Maybin. Even HE knew deep down he sucked.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already getting soured by this hold out... I honestly could care less if he signs or not. In the history of the league, hold out rookies never benefit from missing their first camp. You're a 3rd rounder that needs to prove your worth, how about taking the high road, get on a team and contribute, prove your worth, THEN ask for deserved dollars. Maybe these rookies who hold out know they need to get as much as they can up front for fear of making it... A-la Aaron Maybin. Even HE knew deep down he sucked.

How can he hold out if were not even in TC? He was at every OTA without a contract trying to "prove his worth". Relax Junior

Reports I heard were he looked pretty good. Considering he's a rookie and everyone else has been in the league for years and knows the playbook.

I got the impression that he struggled in mini camps, save for the one practice that he scored two TD's. The guys that were getting the hype in mini camp were Easley and Hagan.

Shhh .... You're not supposed to say that kind of thing around here. The self appointed football and negotiation expert committee will be in attack mode. Like on me in a previous thread.

If you don't want trouble just keep saying its all about the 3rd round and nothing to do with the sides being apart on money.

As a card-carrying member of the "football and negotiation expert committee" I will say this -- worrying about Graham's contract status, with three weeks to go before TC and knowing the guy has participated in EVERYTHING team-related to date, is really pointless.

This is clearly about the odd "vacuum" created by the split between how rounds 1-2 are slotted, and how 4-7 have been slotted. Agents are doing their due diligence and making sure they don't shortchange their clients. And as others have already said, for a 3rd rounder it IS important to get as much as you can up front, because these picks are in a sort of "no man's land." They aren't the 1st and 2nd round studs, but they're also not the 4th and later "hopefuls."

Anyway, I won't hold anything against TJ or his agent until and unless we get to July 26 and he's not in Pittsford.

FWIW, as of about 10 days ago, there were still 14 unsigned 3rd rounders… no other round has more than 3 unsigned draftees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/conflict-continues-between-agents-team-192009786--nfl.html

Here is what i do not understand.

It has been discussed on here before that the third round was somehow left out of the 'slotting' equation. By this i mean the 1-2 and then the 4-7 rounds had very defined perameters for how draftees should be compensated. WTF do you skip over the third? I know someone here will have a theory. I would love to hear it. I do not believe with the countless attorneys both sides had this was a mistake. Maybe i am saying it or have understood it in correctly. So please shed some light on it for me. As it stands today the CBA seemed to create an issue when it should not have. Who possible could have benefitted from this?

Shhh .... You're not supposed to say that kind of thing around here. The self appointed football and negotiation expert committee will be in attack mode. Like on me in a previous thread.

If you don't want trouble just keep saying its all about the 3rd round and nothing to do with the sides being apart on money.

Actually it's both. The 3rd round spot is what is causing them to be far apart on money, just like the rest of the unsigned 3rd rounders.

I'm fairly confident the deal will get done and he'll be in camp. The good news is that this is our biggest "controversy" of the entire offseason. And that is during a very busy and important offseason.

Also, TJ just posted this yesterday... Pic

How can he hold out if were not even in TC? He was at every OTA without a contract trying to "prove his worth". Relax Junior

I can have an opinion about a player not signing yet, watch who you're calling names, so how about you cool it. There's no need to take offense to my view, I was merely commenting on other players who have held out. Maybe take a moment and read what I said, if that's not too hard for you to do. nowhere in my comments did I say that TJ held out of camp... I was using the term in reference to not signing... maybe a bad choice of words on my part, but he is a contract hold out none the less.

I got the impression that he struggled in mini camps, save for the one practice that he scored two TD's. The guys that were getting the hype in mini camp were Easley and Hagan.

I recall that he had the two TD's on one of the last days of mini camp. So either he had a lucky day or he actually learned the offense enough to be proficient in the plays they did.

Actually it's both. The 3rd round spot is what is causing them to be far apart on money, just like the rest of the unsigned 3rd rounders.

I'm fairly confident the deal will get done and he'll be in camp. The good news is that this is our biggest "controversy" of the entire offseason. And that is during a very busy and important offseason.

Also, TJ just posted this yesterday... Pic

Good post, that's all I've been saying all along. The goobers were saying it wasn't about money in the sense of bills say he's worth x and his agent says x + y; they were sayig no one had a position because of the 3rd round vagaries and once they could determine whats fair for that slot the deal would be inked that day. I'd be surprised if it didn't get done, but not shocked. Depends how big the Y factor is and how dug in the sides are.

Here is what i do not understand.

It has been discussed on here before that the third round was somehow left out of the 'slotting' equation. By this i mean the 1-2 and then the 4-7 rounds had very defined perameters for how draftees should be compensated. WTF do you skip over the third? I know someone here will have a theory. I would love to hear it. I do not believe with the countless attorneys both sides had this was a mistake. Maybe i am saying it or have understood it in correctly. So please shed some light on it for me. As it stands today the CBA seemed to create an issue when it should not have. Who possible could have benefitted from this?

it wasnt just left out - what happened is there are still issues like years, guarantees, etc... that do drop at some point. the guys in the top 10 are holding out for structure issues (guaranteed dollars structure), there were concerns that 15-25 would have another structure change happen in that ballpark(i believe it had to do with final year structure), and theres another one that tends to fall somewhere early in that area(i dont even want to take a stab at what it was that teams wanted to change, without being sure). the dollars are pretty well set up but the type of contract morphs a little bit in that range. everyone wants to get their guy in the tier above. there have been some articles on it, but i dont have them handy.

there are just a few items beyond salary that arent slotted and based on how negotiations went last year, that last change happened a few picks into round 3, so everyone about 5 high and low of that cutoff last year is holding on to be above it this year.

Edited by NoSaint

I can have an opinion about a player not signing yet, watch who you're calling names, so how about you cool it. There's no need to take offense to my view, I was merely commenting on other players who have held out. Maybe take a moment and read what I said, if that's not too hard for you to do. nowhere in my comments did I say that TJ held out of camp... I was using the term in reference to not signing... maybe a bad choice of words on my part, but he is a contract hold out none the less.

I just dont understand how you can be sour about a player "holing out" 3 weeks before TC. Luck and Griffin must be real dicks in your mind. Lots of 3rd rounders haven't signed yet. If this goes a week into camp ill be annoyed too, but we have 22 days until we even open camp. Im not worried

seems like a silly reason to be upset. in the last cba, wed be lucky to see anyone signed today. in this cba, people around his pick are normally the last to sign.

hes following a pretty standard protocol here. i would save my frustration for when he starts acting out of the norm.

I just dont understand how you can be sour about a player "holing out" 3 weeks before TC. Luck and Griffin must be real dicks in your mind. Lots of 3rd rounders haven't signed yet. If this goes a week into camp ill be annoyed too, but we have 22 days until we even open camp. Im not worried

Wha?? Luck and RGIII haven't signed yet? Ralph is cheap!

PTR

They're one and the same, Jt6P.

TJ Graham is the new Donte Whitner. Since "all us experts" did not see the pick coming, it made us mad. Now add on that he is our only pick not yet signed, and it gives people even more to question and B word about.

Not saying that is what McKinley is doing, but just be aware that is where some people are coming from when talking about Graham.

It'll get done before camp. Guaranteed.

TJ Graham is the new Donte Whitner. Since "all us experts" did not see the pick coming, it made us mad. Now add on that he is our only pick not yet signed, and it gives people even more to question and B word about.

Not saying that is what McKinley is doing, but just be aware that is where some people are coming from when talking about Graham.

O I know why people are annoyed but it is totally unwarranted. 22 days before camp and hes a malcontent? It drives me nuts

and it might even cut it REALLY close. I think a lot of these guys missed the first practice, but were signed and in their bunks by the first night last year.

Good post, that's all I've been saying all along. The goobers were saying it wasn't about money in the sense of bills say he's worth x and his agent says x + y; they were sayig no one had a position because of the 3rd round vagaries and once they could determine whats fair for that slot the deal would be inked that day. I'd be surprised if it didn't get done, but not shocked. Depends how big the Y factor is and how dug in the sides are.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You posted an inane "theory" in a much earlier thread about how the Bills were trying to teach Graham a lesson (or something like that) with their hardball negotiating, using where he "should" have been drafted as the basis for their offer. It was quickly pointed out to you that Graham's 3rd round status has much more to do with why he isn't signed than some huge $$ abyss the two sides haven't crossed, and it would be ridiculous for a team that traded up to select a player to then use his supposed draft "ranking" as a negotiating ploy.

Everything just needs to sort itself out with these 3rd rounders.