The NFL Stadium Experience

I've talked to guys that are running start ups that focus exclusively on how to tie fans into sporting events, TV reality shows and other live events via smart phone technology; both directly from the phone and tying the smart phone through your TV. So basically voting for your American Idol will not require a text message or phone call, just a click of a button on your phone as it's pointed at the TV screen. Or, fans in attendance (or at home or both) can vote for the 3 starts of the game immediately after the game with instant tabulation. Content providers like the NFL or Disney are going to jump at the chance to introduce ways to make fans feel closer to the action.

Example: When I was a kid, we had a game where you had to predict the next offense play (inside run/outside run/ short pass/long pass) or success of a kick. You'd put your marker on the appropriate square and if you were right you'd get the alloted points. Winner had the most points at the end of the game. Imagine 30,000 people doing that at an NFL game with the winner getting free season tickets or whatever.

Yes, a lot of us can't fathom the idea of going to a game and spending the whole time staring at a smart phone, but football isn't going to ignore the possibilities that technology is going to offer. Younger generations are being raised on this (my 3 year old has complete command of an ipad) and it will be second nature to them to participate in such fan expereinces.

The future is coming to a stadium near you....

I worked for a company in Carlsbad that has an online version of that game and an in bar game where you predict the play and can win prizes. I think they called it QB1 if I remember right. That would be cool in the stadium.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now prefer to be at home vs. the stadium to watch the game. No line for the bathroom and the snacks are dirt cheap compared to stadium prices. I don't pay to park my car and don't have to get in big lines to leave. NFL has become a televised sport that exceeds the live experience IMHO.

I agree completely. Large, affordable, HD televisions definitely did not do the NFL stadium experience any favors. And the NFL really cannot sabotage the TV experience (any more than they already do with blackouts at least) because of the amount of money they make from the TV contracts.

If you strip out commercials the TV experience is even better. However if you are in the comfort of home with friends and family watching in real time the commercials aren't nearly as annoying.

Only thing I miss about the stadium is tailgating with people I don't see very often when the weather is nice.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree completely. Large, affordable, HD televisions definitely did not do the NFL stadium experience any favors. And the NFL really cannot sabotage the TV experience (any more than they already do with blackouts at least) because of the amount of money they make from the TV contracts.

If you strip out commercials the TV experience is even better. However if you are in the comfort of home with friends and family watching in real time the commercials aren't nearly as annoying.

Only thing I miss about the stadium is tailgating with people I don't see very often when the weather is nice.

I have heard this is an age thing..45 and older still prefer the stadium experience. And let me say this ...outside of a Bills game I will not go. No way am I going to another NFL game just for kicks.I have plenty of opportunities to see the Redskins and Ravens in Club seats..and never even give it a second thought, just say thx but no thanks!

Frankly ... I go to a football game to watch the game as it happens on the field while enjoying the energy of the crowd around me.

I don't need a lot of technology but I appreciate instant replays after every play rather than selective replays. I also want to have a running out of town scoreboard. Statistical updates are nice but that's what I have Murph in my ear for (And for so many wonderful years Van.).

I do not need a stadium with bells and whistles ... I want great sight lines and reasonable priced tickets. I believe that at THE RALPH I get what I want from a game.

It's nice to have the video screens in the halls so when I am off to get food/beer or hit the men's room I can still see the game.

It's three hours of live action ... if I really want a techno game I'll sit at home with my NFL TICKET plus RED ZONE and just keep my head spinning.

I agree with all of this.

What blows my mind is that ever since becoming a Club seat holder, I've become aware of how many of the "fans" in the red seats spend big chunks of their time during the game INSIDE, eating/drinking and watching the dozens of TVs nearby. Why come to the game then spend the day INSIDE? Can someone explain the attraction to me?

What blows my mind is that ever since becoming a Club seat holder, I've become aware of how many of the "fans" in the red seats spend big chunks of their time during the game INSIDE, eating/drinking and watching the dozens of TVs nearby. Why come to the game then spend the day INSIDE? Can someone explain the attraction to me?

Best of both worlds? They get the "energy of the crowd" when they want to. The technology when they want to. And not be rained/snowed on or freeze their asses off. Sounds like a great gig if you can afford it.

Didn't Tex Schramm, former GM of the Cowboys, once say in the 1970's that eventually the games will be played at empty stadiums? He felt that people would eventually stop attending and just watch it on TV, etc... He was a prophet.

You make some good points, but i think part of the reason why some people dont go to NFL games is because of the lack of comfort and technology. When I'm watching football at home, i'm keeping track of my fantasy team on my computer, flipping between games during commercials, and constantly checking the stats of the bills when they're playing.

I'm sure some fans like the "at home" experience more than the "stadium" experience because of the luxury of technology.

I'm heavily into fantasy football. Me and some buddies had a fantasy football book published two years in a row in the early 90s. We were guests on out-of-town radio shows and did the fantasy football issue for the now defunct national sports magazine, Inside Sports. I play in only two fantasy leagues (more is not better, IMO).

I think the home viewing experience and the stadium experience are two totally different things and I think that's a good thing. I have the nice flat panel TV at home with the NFL Sunday Ticket and the hi-def DVR. We go to the Red Zone channel during commercials. The computer is on and I keep tabs open for my fantasy teams. We cook food and have fun.

But I love being in the stadium too, for very different reasons. I love seeing the entire field and concentrating on the game. When I'm in a stadium, I really don't need to know what the out of town scores are or how my fantasy players/team are doing. I think more people in our society would really benefit from concentrating on just one thing every once in awhile. When I'm in the stadium I'm not a slave to my cell phone, my fantasy team or any of that. I know that my being a slave to fantasy results will not change those results so I'm content to find out what's going on after the game. I watch the game intently. I look at people. I look at the weather, the sights and sounds. It's good being away from the electronic devices once in awhile and actually being aware of my physical surroundings.

I really don't understand why the stadium has to be like being at home… which apparently is what the NFL is intent on doing.

I'd prefer a more pure (traditional) and cheaper stadium experience.

Best of both worlds? They get the "energy of the crowd" when they want to. The technology when they want to. And not be rained/snowed on or freeze their asses off. Sounds like a great gig if you can afford it.

I don't see it that way obviously.

I think you lose more than you gain when you try to have it both ways in an NFL stadium.

Imagine a few years from now… 25,000 fans… nearly one third of the stadium with their noses planted in their personal electronic devices… not being aware of their surroundings.

Imagine a few years from now… 25,000 fans… nearly one third of the stadium with their noses planted in their personal electronic devices… not being aware of their surroundings.

People are that way now everywhere else. Why should a football stadium be any different.

I have heard this is an age thing..45 and older still prefer the stadium experience. And let me say this ...outside of a Bills game I will not go. No way am I going to another NFL game just for kicks.I have plenty of opportunities to see the Redskins and Ravens in Club seats..and never even give it a second thought, just say thx but no thanks!

I'm over 45 and prefer my family room to the stadium.

I think the home viewing experience and the stadium experience are two totally different things and I think that's a good thing. I have the nice flat panel TV at home with the NFL Sunday Ticket and the hi-def DVR. We go to the Red Zone channel during commercials. The computer is on and I keep tabs open for my fantasy teams. We cook food and have fun.

But I love being in the stadium too, for very different reasons. I love seeing the entire field and concentrating on the game. When I'm in a stadium, I really don't need to know what the out of town scores are or how my fantasy players/team are doing. I think more people in our society would really benefit from concentrating on just one thing every once in awhile. When I'm in the stadium I'm not a slave to my cell phone, my fantasy team or any of that. I know that my being a slave to fantasy results will not change those results so I'm content to find out what's going on after the game. I watch the game intently. I look at people. I look at the weather, the sights and sounds. It's good being away from the electronic devices once in awhile and actually being aware of my physical surroundings.

I really don't understand why the stadium has to be like being at home… which apparently is what the NFL is intent on doing.

I'd prefer a more pure (traditional) and cheaper stadium experience.

SJ, I could attach my name to this, replace 'computer' with 'iPad', and it sums up my preferences to a T. The only thing I use my phone for in the stadium is to text friends when something amazing happens (last year at the Pats* game it was a blast).

If I lived in Buffalo I would attend every home game, and I don't need for them to make it more of an "experience" -- I'm there to soak in the atmosphere, enjoy the roar of the crowd, and watch my favorite team.

I also agree with something Paul (plenzmd) wrote -- I have no interest going to games of any other teams.

SJ, I could attach my name to this, replace 'computer' with 'iPad', and it sums up my preferences to a T. The only thing I use my phone for in the stadium is to text friends when something amazing happens (last year at the Pats* game it was a blast).

If I lived in Buffalo I would attend every home game, and I don't need for them to make it more of an "experience" -- I'm there to soak in the atmosphere, enjoy the roar of the crowd, and watch my favorite team.

I also agree with something Paul (plenzmd) wrote -- I have no interest going to games of any other teams.

I'm definitely with both of you guys.. there's nothing like a stadium experience. I went to my first bills game in buffalo last year against the pats and it really couldn't have been any sweeter. If it was more affordable and closer (I'm in massachusetts) I would definitely go to every game.

Truly your paying for chairs that are less comfortable, an angle you'd never stand for on tv, lack of access to change the channel on commercials, and a lot of inconveniences, in exchange for the thrill of saying "I was there" and cheering with 80k. Some days it's easier to justify than others. It would be nice to see that gap close, and prices rise slower.

Yep except I don't care much about the I was there it is the 80k people and that energy that can be felt nowhere else in the world. The owner's solution imo isn't the right one it just is the one that justifies there prices, and refusal to look at lowering them. Fans are such that when there isn't an increase in prices we are happy. Rarely are prices lowered, this year for the Bills being an exception, and lo and behold both of these sections sold out.

At least with the saints it's been justified more often than not recently :thumbsup:

I got the chance to sit in the Jim Kelly club seats once and had the same reaction. I actually asked the people around me why all the seats were blank and they said that people rarely make it to their seats and spend most of the time socializing inside. The other thing I found strange was not one person was the actual regular ticket holder! It was their employer's or family members tickets. Lastly, a tanqueray and tonic cost as much in the club as a beer did in the stands, I love the idea of liquor at the games as I'm not to much of a beer guy but wow would it be unruly! I'd love to sit there again but definitely not at the price of admission, I can't even justify the cheap seats for the p.o.a.