• Doonesbury
    • Dilbert
    • Peanuts
    • Garfield
    • The Far Side
    • Calvin and Hoobes
    • Other

?

Wow, those 6 are really good. I'd have to say C&H because of the circumstances. Our son was growing up during its run and we easily related to that strip. FWIW, their creator recently published his first illustration since C&H. If you gg you'll find articles about it.

I went with Peanuts. I've always been a big fan of the strip and Schultz. I bought my mom the 50 years of Peanuts book for Christmas this year and ended up reading it myself. Pretty cool to look at the progression of the strip from when it started in the 50's until the end.

Ah, one of my specialties.

I voted for C&H because it was one of the most consistently great strips and set the standard for excellence. Bloom County was a close second because it completely shook up the field at the time and redefined how good comic strips could be. I would say Bloom County was more important for leading the way for the "new" wave of comic strip artists, but C&H was pound-for-pound the better strip.

Ah, one of my specialties.

I voted for C&H because it was one of the most consistently great strips and set the standard for excellence. Bloom County was a close second because it completely shook up the field at the time and redefined how good comic strips could be. I would say Bloom County was more important for leading the way for the "new" wave of comic strip artists, but C&H was pound-for-pound the better strip.

Very well said. The artwork in each was so amazing - able to convey so much facial expression in characters human or not.

The only books on my writing desk:

The Complete Collection of Calvin & Hobbes

The Complete Collection of the Far Side

OED

Oddly enough the only 2 leather bound comic strip collections I have.

Thought I had all the Bloom County books and ~1/2 of the hardcover books that Breathed put out. (Though the story books and the Outland/Opus collections weren't nearly as good as the original B.C. strips.) But see I completely missed him putting out the full series over the last couple of years. :doh: I'm also missing One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995 and haven't ever seen either Acadamia Waltz book in print.