• Bloom County
    • Doonesbury
    • Dilbert
    • Peanuts
    • Garfield
    • The Far Side
    • Calvin and Hoobes
    • Other

Always been a sports focused sort a did not read to many comics... but Peanuts , then Ziggy my two top favorites... :)

-just as Bills fans wait for Super Bowl, Peanuts they await the great Pumpkin.....

when i think of cartoon developers and characters ect , often do think of Jim Henson

Edited by millbank

I could vote for C&H, Bloom County or Dilbert with no reservations, but I went with C&H. I need to start reading it again now that I have kids.

p.s. Garfield doesn't belong anywhere near that otherwise excellent list. BC or the Wizard of ID would be more deserving.

Edited by KD in CT

For me, it's a toss-up between C&H and Dilbert. I voted for Dilbert since I think you voted for C&H, Jay :devil:

I did vote C&H by a hair over Bloom County. Both wickedly insightful and humorous.

I could vote for C&H, Bloom County or Dilbert with no reservations, but I went with C&H. I need to start reading it again now that I have kids.

p.s. Garfield doesn't belong anywhere near that otherwise excellent list. BC or the Wizard of ID would be more deserving.

You'll get alot more out of C&H with that new vantage point. And I agree that Garfield jumped the shark many years ago but it was originally very good and has survived for a reason. I could have put Blondie or some other long-runners on there too.

Calvin & Hobbes totally defined my childhood. Even though at the time I didn't get all of the references or jokes, I still remember reading it every morning before school. I bought the collected books when I got older and had an even greater appreciation for it.

For me, it'll always be Calvin & Hobbes.

But for ones running currently, C&H creator Bill Watterson is a HUGE fan of "Cul de Sac" by Richard Thompson. (Ever the recluse, Watterson even surfaced publically for the first time in 16 years with a painting of the character Petey which he donated to a Parkinson's charity for auction*.)

I discovered it late last year and, tho I'm a late-comer, it's been a gem. Especially the strips where Alice takes to the concrete manhole cover dais for a special performance.

* --- Richard Thompson unfortunately has Parkinson's and earlier this year had several guest cartoonists come in for a week each while he was undergoing treatments.

I feel the same. Voted for C&H based just on the snowmen strips.

I liked Garfield when I was a kid. Looking back, using Lorenzo Music as the voice for the TV cartoons was pretty great. Of course I was a kid and thus, stupid. I read that Jim Davis initially resisted TV/Movies/etc in the early 80s because he knew that he wasn't suited to to anything other than this strip and that if it blew up, that would be the end. So he stretched it out another 30 years by slowly allowing things like the suction-cup stuffed animals and then the Bill Murray movies. I guess it's still around, but I doubt he's done anything new in the strip since the 1st Reagan administration.

Bill the Cat from Bloom County was a great jab at Garfield. :D