Fewer RIM jobs???

To quote the snooty professor in "Back To School", there are two types of people in business, the quick and the dead.

These guys got their doors blown off like they were racing Usain Bolt.

Edited by KD in CT

RIMM is a terminal short, ride it all the way down to pennies. I don't think they'll be too appealing as a takeover candidate, and the chances of RIMM becoming relevant again are basically non-existent. The only thing working in their favor is the fact that they're debt free, have a decent cash position and by most accounts a solid patent portfolio. RIMM can ask Kodak how far patents will get you when you're circling the drain. Unless the new OS they've been working on provides sexual favors RIMM's fate is sealed.

But what the hell do I know as I thought RIMM's loose cousin NOK was looking oversold earlier this month.

To quote the snooty professor in "Back To School", there are two types of people in business, the quick and the dead.

These guys got their doors blown off like they were racing Usain Bolt.

Absolutely. I've been a Blackberry guy for years and come November I will move to an Android because there is simply no support of Blackberry apps of any value (I'm always joking with my little boy: "Dad, can I play a game on your phone?" "Sure, here's a game called Pong.") and BB no longer brings anything unique to the table.

It's pretty sad, and I apologize in advance for this comparison, but BB has basically become the Kodak of cellphones.

It is pretty staggering when you think about it, given that so many people I know had a BB and just absolutely loved them. Never used one myself, though.

There were staunch RIM/BB defenders here as little as 2 years ago. RIM is a joke now. I don't know a single person who still has a blackberry. Everyone is Android or iPhone.

BTW, the iPhone turns 5 today.

Apps killed the blackberry. While every programmer in the world was jumping over themselves to make the next crappy game for Android or Apple OS, BB rolled out with a feature which lets you pay $5 a month to download 10 songs on your device and share them with up to 3 friends or some such crap. Pretty pathetic. Once corporate America started trusting iPhone and Android, BB lost their last competitive advantage.

Apps killed the blackberry. While every programmer in the world was jumping over themselves to make the next crappy game for Android or Apple OS, BB rolled out with a feature which lets you pay $5 a month to download 10 songs on your device and share them with up to 3 friends or some such crap. Pretty pathetic. Once corporate America started trusting iPhone and Android, BB lost their last competitive advantage.

Arrogance killed the blackberry. When the iPhone and Android devices came out, a bunch of posters on here (who typified BB arrogance) kept saying that corporate IT would never abandon the blackberry because the other systems were basically toys by comparison. Meanwhile, the BB devices continued to fall behind and now RIM is circling the toilet.

Android and iPhone could circle the toilet in 5 years too. It's a quickly shifting landscape.

I don't think they'll be too appealing as a takeover candidate, and the chances of RIMM becoming relevant again are basically non-existent.

I'm not a tech guy so maybe this is way off, but don't they have a more secure platform than those of Apple and Google? If so, that may be a selling point with government contracts, hence some value as a niche product. But clearly they are dead in the huge consumer space where the real money is made.

Arrogance killed the blackberry. When the iPhone and Android devices came out, a bunch of posters on here (who typified BB arrogance) kept saying that corporate IT would never abandon the blackberry because the other systems were basically toys by comparison. Meanwhile, the BB devices continued to fall behind and now RIM is circling the toilet.

Android and iPhone could circle the toilet in 5 years too. It's a quickly shifting landscape.

LOL @ calling Blackberry users arrogant, compared to Apple users?

The problem with Blackberry is that instead of just continuing to build on what they started and not straying, they decided thathey had to chase Apple and try to beat them out. If Blackberry just continued to focus on being the device used by businesses and corporations, being a work tool, they may still be thriving today. Instead they saw the iphone and android and tried to compete with them. Unfortunately they were always a step behind and user got frustrated and left. They tried to focus more on getting a share of the teen/20 somethings that cared more about the toy (games/apps, videos and texting) then needing a tool for conducting business with. Doesn't help when the guy running your company is too busy trying to throw his money around and buy NHL teams, or renting out the ACC for a private Rolling Stones Concert for their Christmas Party

The problem with Blackberry is that instead of just continuing to build on what they started and not straying, they decided thathey had to chase Apple and try to beat them out. If Blackberry just continued to focus on being the device used by businesses and corporations, being a work tool, they may still be thriving today. Instead they saw the iphone and android and tried to compete with them. Unfortunately they were always a step behind and user got frustrated and left. They tried to focus more on getting a share of the teen/20 somethings that cared more about the toy (games/apps, videos and texting) then needing a tool for conducting business with. Doesn't help when the guy running your company is too busy trying to throw his money around and buy NHL teams, or renting out the ACC for a private Rolling Stones Concert for their Christmas Party

They still would have lost. Business people are still people -- they want the fun, new, cool technology. Everyone at my company wanted an iphone so when it was time for a hardware refresh, they got the tight-ass CFO to agree to switch to Apple.

I didn't compare them to anyone. Just said they were arrogant. Sitting here in 2012, it looks like the Android and iPhone users who were arrogant were right.

I remember when my firm's IT guy looked me dead in the eye (about two and a half years ago) and told me there's no way we could implement iPhones as company phones. I bought one anyway and insisted he look into it. Needless to say, we're an iPhone firm now.

I'm not suggesting the Apple fan boys aren't nauseating, but there's plenty of arrogance to go around.

There were staunch RIM/BB defenders here as little as 2 years ago. RIM is a joke now. I don't know a single person who still has a blackberry. Everyone is Android or iPhone.

Two years ago it was very easy for a guy like me to get a BB so I could sync with my email, download and read my Excel and word files as well as PDFs, zip files, etc. Two years later, the BB has fallen so far behind that it's on a death walk.

Still, it's always funny to see how some people will use ANY topic to say "Look at me! I told you so!" If someone made an iPhone app called "Stroke my ego and tell me I was right about something" you guys would be downloading it like crazy while sipping frappucinos waiting for app updates. :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

I still have a BB..easier to text and drive

They still would have lost. Business people are still people -- they want the fun, new, cool technology. Everyone at my company wanted an iphone so when it was time for a hardware refresh, they got the tight-ass CFO to agree to switch to Apple.

This. There's been a blurring of lines between business and personal use markets.

They said the same thing at my work, and now most people have bought i-phones and are able to sync everything.

But the free firm-issued product is still the BB, and believe it or not, that's still what I use.

I bought myself an Android... Very easy to sync email. Yet, the wife wanted to be an Apple lemming so I said okay. I tried to sync her email a bunch of times via the iPhone email setup... It wouldn't go. I then bought an email app (I think it was called Outlook of somoe sort?)... The app was 10 bucks and looked terrible... Email synced but the screen resolution was very tiny. So... I went back and did the the normal iPhone email set up and this time it worked! Her email now works great... What gives? Her work email is a "surge email" thingy or what ever that is... Webmail? Yet, her work computer uses Outlook... That is why I figure I would use the Outlook app...

Again, what gives...??

And now Apple wins an injunction against Samsung to ban the sale of Galaxy Nexus (google android) phones in the US. Judge agreed with their claim Samsung copied iPhones "look and feel". Wow what a crock, I own one of each and if this ruling is upheld it will stifle innovation and inch apple that much closer to a true monopoly in US. These phones are not alike !