Bryd article on breakout season

And yet, there are some who post frequently on this board who believe Byrd is "nothing special."

The Byrd/Wilson tandem will be recognized, by the end of this season, as one of the top 5 safety duos in the league.

There are a very lot of people in here who don't know squat about defense. Don't worry, they'll never learn.

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Scott is just a backup and may be cut

-Wilson is too old

-Whitner was always beat deep

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

Those are examples of when I stop reading threads or members content.

He's one of my all-time favorite Ducks - I LOVE his playmaking abilities, energy and nose for the ball, and not just because he says some funny schit:

Byrd, like most players, wants to raise his playmaking skills to another level, but believes the best way to accomplish that at this point in his career is in the film room.

“I always want to continue to do what I do, get my hands on balls,” he said. “I want to score when I get interceptions. I want to get more turnovers and punch the ball out, but I think the mental part of the game is big. Anytime you start progressing the thing that separates you is just anticipation and just the mental part of the game. That can develop along with the physical stuff, but the mental game is what takes you over (the top).”

:doh:

And yet, there are some who post frequently on this board who believe Byrd is "nothing special."

The Byrd/Wilson tandem will be recognized, by the end of this season, as one of the top 5 safety duos in the league.

Wilson I agree with. If you can, go back and watch a replay of last year's home game vs. Philly; that was one of the best games I've ever seen from a strong safety. He was everywhere.

I am among those that aren't overly impressed by Byrd. The gaudy numbers from his rookie season weren't a complete fluke, but an impartial observer would have to admit that he benefitted from some awful QB play. That said, I thought his coverage was much better last season than in 2010, where he was routinely burned for big plays (I'm thinking specifically of games against Baltimore and the Jets, in which he allowed TD passes in front of his coverage in the end zone). I like that he's opportunistic, and always looks to intercept the ball, I just think he needs to continue to improve his positioning and ancitipatory skills so as not to get beat as often.

There are a very lot of people in here who don't know squat about defense. Don't worry, they'll never learn.

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Wilson is too old

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

Um, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they "don't know squat about defense". It's okay for someone to have a differing opinion.

I don't think Byrd is particulary "special", I think he was above-average last year, and certainly a vast improvement over 2010. If you disagree, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that either of us is ignorrant regarding defense.

He's one of my all-time favorite Ducks - I LOVE his playmaking abilities, energy and nose for the ball, and not just because he says some funny schit:

Byrd, like most players, wants to raise his playmaking skills to another level, but believes the best way to accomplish that at this point in his career is in the film room.

“I always want to continue to do what I do, get my hands on balls,” he said. “I want to score when I get interceptions. I want to get more turnovers and punch the ball out, but I think the mental part of the game is big. Anytime you start progressing the thing that separates you is just anticipation and just the mental part of the game. That can develop along with the physical stuff, but the mental game is what takes you over (the top).”

:doh:

Indeed.

Wilson I agree with. If you can, go back and watch a replay of last year's home game vs. Philly; that was one of the best games I've ever seen from a strong safety. He was everywhere.

I am among those that aren't overly impressed by Byrd. The gaudy numbers from his rookie season weren't a complete fluke, but an impartial observer would have to admit that he benefitted from some awful QB play. That said, I thought his coverage was much better last season than in 2010, where he was routinely burned for big plays (I'm thinking specifically of games against Baltimore and the Jets, in which he allowed TD passes in front of his coverage in the end zone). I like that he's opportunistic, and always looks to intercept the ball, I just think he needs to continue to improve his positioning and ancitipatory skills so as not to get beat as often.

Fair points, but I'd argue Byrd was absolutely solid in 2011; the addition of ANY pass rush will make him even more of a ballhawk. I agree about the Philly game and Wilson; while it was happening I was texting my buddy saying, "can you believe the Senator out there?" He was dominant in the first half, in particular.

Fair points, but I'd argue Byrd was absolutely solid in 2011; the addition of ANY pass rush will make him even more of a ballhawk. I agree about the Philly game and Wilson; while it was happening I was texting my buddy saying, "can you believe the Senator out there?" He was dominant in the first half, in particular.

Byrd was definitely a much better tackler last year.

Byrd was definitely a much better tackler last year.

His natural ball hawking skills that showed early in his career were fun but he lacked tackling skills.

He has shown great improvement in that area last year and will prove to be a well rounded.

Player. He is one player who is going to keep getting better and we need to lock him down for the future.

Wilson Searcy Byrd are one heck of a strong group. top five duos. Yes easily. just watch and awe this year.

and to think i considered the butt wipe Barron in the draft. shame on me.

Edited by 3rdand12

Bandit. Very lot doesn't mean everyone. And still, I never said anything for you to defend your views against mine. I think Byrd has had two very successful yearsshowing he has the tools in the bad with intelligence and willpower to become a perennial pro bowler. Does it mean I think he will or promise? No. I think he has what it takes and this year we will see id he can.

We have so many players on D who are "poised for a breakout season" that we may be the first defense to KILL a guy.

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Wilson is too old

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

Ok, this is my first negative post. Wilson is too old? You don't know football!!!!! This guy was rated the second best SS in the NFL behind Troy in Pitt. Scott is depth you moron for various packages, and we need to create depth at every position. If you haven't noticed we have been so thin at every position, we always start our downward slide when we start losing people after the first 6-7 games.

Merriman is still a LB. So is Ware! I know he has not produced anything to date, but now that he finally had his full surgical repair, do you really think he can't be a rotational player that creates depth for us behind Anderson.

Poz is gone as well as Whitner. Just an fyi. And if you know football so well on 3-4, vs. 4-3 you would know we have players more suited for a 4-3, and so we made a wise decision to improve by playing to players strengths. Why do you think Wanny is having M. Williams play on the left side, meaning lining up on the Right Tackle. BECAUSE that is where he plays best, vs the blind side.

I can't stand these buttheads who want to sound smart as they just automatically think we will be poor, and don't want to billievve. Why don't you stop watching football and we don't have to listen to your on these threads or even better, just follow the Patriots or Jets. I'd love that. Then we can maintain people who are logical, hopeful, but realistic, and want our team to win. At least i wouldn't have to read dingbats who are not real fans of the Bills.

You are NOT a BILLS FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19-0

BTW- Played my whole life and coached for years, so yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm sick of these guys on our TBD. I've had enough of the glass is half empty, it's going to rain today, no I can't get that job, whatever. Go Away!

MGK

PTR What do you think?

Wow. The last two years he's led our team in both forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. Plus one of his three years he led the team in Ints and another came in second.

His tackling has gone from 15th to 4th to 3rd, for a free safety(!). Of course that's a bit of an indictment of our front seven, but still, he's there making 'em. That's good.

That's DEFINITELY getting his hands on some balls. [joke continued]

I did the exact same thing...literally.

Bandit. Very lot doesn't mean everyone. And still, I never said anything for you to defend your views against mine. I think Byrd has had two very successful yearsshowing he has the tools in the bad with intelligence and willpower to become a perennial pro bowler. Does it mean I think he will or promise? No. I think he has what it takes and this year we will see id he can.

Indeed. I suppose I interpreted your comment as saying that those of us who don't think Byrd is "special" are among those that don't know squat. My apologies for the mistake.

I also think he has a great skill set, one that I would love to see taken advantage of in the passing game.

Cheers.

:beer:

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Wilson is too old

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

Ok, this is my first negative post. Wilson is too old? You don't know football!!!!! This guy was rated the second best SS in the NFL behind Troy in Pitt. Scott is depth you moron for various packages, and we need to create depth at every position. If you haven't noticed we have been so thin at every position, we always start our downward slide when we start losing people after the first 6-7 games.

Merriman is still a LB. So is Ware! I know he has not produced anything to date, but now that he finally had his full surgical repair, do you really think he can't be a rotational player that creates depth for us behind Anderson.

Poz is gone as well as Whitner. Just an fyi. And if you know football so well on 3-4, vs. 4-3 you would know we have players more suited for a 4-3, and so we made a wise decision to improve by playing to players strengths. Why do you think Wanny is having M. Williams play on the left side, meaning lining up on the Right Tackle. BECAUSE that is where he plays best, vs the blind side.

I can't stand these buttheads who want to sound smart as they just automatically think we will be poor, and don't want to billievve. Why don't you stop watching football and we don't have to listen to your on these threads or even better, just follow the Patriots or Jets. I'd love that. Then we can maintain people who are logical, hopeful, but realistic, and want our team to win. At least i wouldn't have to read dingbats who are not real fans of the Bills.

You are NOT a BILLS FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19-0

BTW- Played my whole life and coached for years, so yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm sick of these guys on our TBD. I've had enough of the glass is half empty, it's going to rain today, no I can't get that job, whatever. Go Away!

MGK

PTR What do you think?

#1 - he was being sarcastic

#2 - I'm guessing the old Wilson refers to Ralph, not George

And I thought I overreacted.

byrd imo is above average player. he has progressed in aspects of his game each season. he is a special player to me if it matters. and would be pretty bummed if the bills couldnt get him resigned cause players like him are not replaced easily.

its just really refreshing to have a young player consistantly improving. No doubt that this kid has a great head on his shoulders and has all the tools and drive to become one of the best in the league. Can't wait to see how well he does this season with an improved pass rush.

Edited by ZAZusmc03

We have so many players on D who are "poised for a breakout season" that we may be the first defense to KILL a guy.

This is actually a little known fact about this years defense. Hoping we could stay under the radar on this item. thanks idjit :wallbash:

We also have some plays drawn up that cause recurrring night mares and severe depression for the opposing defenses we play twice a year.

Bad things...man

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Wilson is too old

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

19-0

MGK

PTR What do you think?

You misinterpreted jboysts post.

He was saying that when others make statements of which he gave examples (which you took exception to), that he doesn't bother to finish reading their posts.

In other words, he more or less agrees with you.

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Wilson is too old

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

19-0

MGK

PTR What do you think?

OK guys, to prevent stuff like this from happening, I suggest we start an official sarcastic font. Maybe something like this, the font Impact. Here's a situation where it can be used:

Machine Gun, that is the most ballsy and best post I've seen from anybody. Way to stick it to the people who have over 5000 posts, saying they basically have no lives. :thumbsup:

See what I'm trying to get at?

Edited by Teen Insight