Saddest thing I've ever seen in my life

Here's where we stand on these issues:

In education Avg at best

In healthcare Horrible

Infant mortaliy 180th

Crime Yay! We win

Incarcerations We win again

You wouldn't agree that the "best" country in the world would be better at these key categories?

A lot of these statistics are misleading. Educational rankings are largely skewed by significant contingencies whose parents don't value their children's education. Healthcare is debatable; I'm not familiar with the country that's figured the perfect system for that yet. As far as how we treat our elderly I'd like to know who "WE" are b/c people I know take care of their parents.

As far as crime, I agree there are WAY too many non-violent drug offenders sitting in our prisons, however, many countries have brutal punishments that do not necessarily include long periods of incarceration.

And as to rankings in general, think of football. The best team doesn't always have the best rankings in all categories. Usually they dominate in a few and are middle of the road or worse in others. Sure the U.S is far from perfect, and there are a lot of things that would be handled differently if I had my way, but all things considered it's hard to find a better country overall in terms of overall standard of living and positive contributions to the world.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know if it is gonna be a boy or girl... Don't they officially abort girls in China????

I get it. But, there is still a 50/50 chance it won't be...so she knew the consequences and she still made her choice.

China is not the USA - we cannot save everyone.

i love this country as well.....but what we are doing to the next generations with the massive debts..and not securing our border the way any civilized nation should----I am not so sure that at this time we are 'the best' nation. you can tie the border stuff in with a lot of the lower test scores----but thats just part of the problem and doesnt excuse the miserable education the inner city kids (mostly blacks) get.

i guess overall we still are the most powerful.....but a lot of smaller countries outperform us in many ways.

Why does anyone have to be the best? Why can't we just love America and want more from it? I couldn't tell you who was the best but I know we can do better. We love America because we're Americans and we know the greatness this country is capable of, not because we're blind but because we were once there. At least that's why I love this country and I can only speak for me. We were once ahead of the game in everything that mattered- science, technology, government and economy but we can't say the same anymore and that saddens me.

I know that I still have yet to answer your question and that's because I can't. There isn't a world championship that decides who the best country is but if there were I doubt we'd win.

Those seem clear cut issues with black and white answers. Again where are we falling behind? Science? Technology? You are living in a fantasy world. And I could care less if the average Norwegian spends 12.6 years in school vs US 12.2

Those seem clear cut issues with black and white answers. Again where are we falling behind? Science? Technology? You are living in a fantasy world. And I could care less if the average Norwegian spends 12.6 years in school vs US 12.2

Da dum dum.

:rolleyes: