20 weeks from now...are we going to look back...

After the Sabres fiasco last year when we were at the bottom in January and I looked back at my predictions, I suddenly realized that I was an idiot. I do not want to make the same mistake twice. But if I do, whatever lingering doubts I have that I am an idiot will end and I would be able to say, without question, that I really am an idiot.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this is not a negative thread. Actually the diametric opposite.

Let me explain. In every thread since the draft we find the obligatory "it's only on paper", "we have good parts, let's see if they work together", "I don't want to get too excited", "slow your roll", disclaimer posts, or defense mechanism posts, whatever. I'm talking EVERY SINGLE THREAD. It's as if there is some regulation somewhere, that requires these disclaimers, and some regulator, watching every thread to ensure they are present. Kinda like the small print on commercial that ends with "Not available in NY and CA".

Therefore, in order to comply with this regulation :lol: posters seem compelled to insert these disclaimers: "Not valid until at least 8 weeks into the season". :lol:

But, if we look, and I mean really look, at the team, the schedule, the way we played last year, who and how much was added vs lost, right now...are we being idiotsTM with these disclaimers? Or, rather, are we going to be saying "Why didn't we see 3-1, and then 6-2, and now 10-2 coming from a mile away? If another team had done what we'd did this off-season, we'd have picked them to win the SB, not just compete for the 6th seed."

Are we so shell shocked/numbed due to the last 10 years(the last time we were GAed to have a shot at the wildcard in preseason) of awfulness, that we can't be objective about it?

Understand, I'm not accusing anybody of anything, nor am I saying posters aren't justified in feeling any way they want. I think they've earned that.

I just wonder, are we all, including me, being idiotsTM about this? 20 weeks from now will we be asking ourselves, WTF were we thinking?

I know what I am thinking right now, OC...

19 and 0 baby!!!! :beer:

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

GO BILLSSS!!!!

1340833157[/url]' post='2494110']

Every team has there Fitz. Giants have Eli Manning who was inconsistent; every time you heard something about the Giants next game and who would win, the analyst would always say,"It depends which Eli shows up."

Alex Smith was good and bad at times before last season.

Josh Freeman seemed like Tampa's answer before last season and people said all he needed was a good WR. He wasn't as good last year and now fans in Tampa are thinking if the team should get a new QB.

So its just hard to guess which Fitz we'll see. Some QB's thrive in pressure and what I've seen from him, he does well under it. It's just hard for me to believe he would collapse when something is forced upon him.

I don't see why you wouldn't get the security mechanism first. What's the point in investing all that money into the thing if it gets stolen?

I think I caught the second Back to the Future in a marathon on ABC Family so I got the reference. Pretty good movie, wish I was able to catch the first one and stay up longer for the third.

EDIT: I bet all the nerds reading this on here are having nerdgasms. :lol:

They might also be correcting us: "Look at these nubes, using just plutonium. Every body should know it's a 65% uranium, 45% plutonium mix. And 1.21 gigawatts!?!? That would blow the entire thing up, the electrical flow should be at a steady 1.15 gigawatts. These guys are so dumb, no wonder they're Bills fans! :lol:

Don't compare Eli to fitz. While Eli may be more inconsistent than drew brees, he's way more consistent than fitz. If the giants improved their talent base the way we did this year, everyone would be talking about them repeating. One reason, is Eli. TB improved their roster a lot and noone is talking about them in the SB. Why? Like you said, their qb.

In answer to the OP's question, it depends on what your expectations are.

I predicted (only half-jokingly) a 15-1 regular season so no, I will not be surprised when the Bills excel this coming season.

Thus I don't see the need for any disclaimers when I'm writing about the 2012 season.

"If another team had done what we'd did this off-season, we'd have picked them to win the SB, not just compete for the 6th seed."

No we wouldn't have--if they were the same level of team as the Buffalo Bills. The same Bills that the NE PATS scored 49 straight points against in a game toward the end of the season.The same Bills that were getting blown out by lousy teams down the stretch last. We added a great d lineman(who missed most of last season to injury)..we drafted a potentially good O lineman and CB. We signed a d lineman NE didnt want for the price.

And now we are SB contenders?.....It was a very good offseason. But lets stay in reality.

We have an average O line that may be improved this year. We have a D line that should be very very good if people stay healthy.We have mediocre LBs and average at best QBing...and average WRs. This team could go as high as 11-5 because of an easy schedule--but reality is 8-8 or 9-7. We should be much improved.

Fans throw up the caveats because of seasons like last year and like 2008. The team starts off winning games that we don't think they should win and then completely implode later into the season. If you're talking 20 weeks from now, you're certainly just talking about the first half of the season. If they're 6-2 at that point and more importantly playing good on both sides of the ball, I'll be thinking about the playoffs. The problem with years like last year and 2008 is that they weren't. They won games they shouldn't have by virtue of just outscoring their opponents.

If they were winning games without outscoring opponents I'd worry. I'd be happy but still worried.

When Kemp & Flores went down in pre-season, I became a big fan of Dan Darragh. Then he went down, followed by Stephenson and all the way down to Rutkowski. Despite the calamity -with a record to prove it- I still hoped against hope every Sunday that we'd win.

Not much has changed in the 44 years since.

Make no mistake. 5-2 was a huge tease last year and the ensuing crash kicked us all in the shorts. But where I draw my optimism for the upcoming season is in the experience our younger players got from last year as a result of yet another calamitous IR roster. Specifically, our team leaders (Wood, Merrimen & K. Williams) were knocked out which forced others to step in and take charge. This is clearly evident in the recently released '11 Hi-hites. Despite the lockout and short pre-season, all our young draftees saw a lot of playing time, adjusted to the speed of the game sooner than they would have and grew into their roles. They're ready to compete BIG TIME now. Add in our stars returning healthy, an amazing FA period and a draft that will produce at least 2 starters on opening day and I'm CONVINCED we have both the elite players and solid, ever-growing depth required to win consistently in today's NFL!

No one here can argue we have more talent than at any time since the Music City Debacle team.My Doom-shield has been lifted. We're back!

Don't compare Eli to fitz. While Eli may be more inconsistent than drew brees, he's way more consistent than fitz. If the giants improved their talent base the way we did this year, everyone would be talking about them repeating. One reason, is Eli. TB improved their roster a lot and noone is talking about them in the SB. Why? Like you said, their qb.

Oh, trust me, Fitz is no where close to the same league as Eli. When I read how their stats were "similar," I almost had tears dripping down my pants laughing. I'm just saying that Eli beat good teams and then lost to the Seahawks and almost lost to us and then went back to beating great teams.

No way you'll wait 20 weeks. How could you with all the material we give around here?

GO BILLS!!!

20 weeks?

Wow, you're getting patient in your dotage!

It doesn't preclude calling you idiots for the intervening 19 weeks. You idiots.

Its so easy to be overly optimistic this year...

The Bills now have a proven DC calling the plays who has a history of running a 4-3 defense to the playoffs. The Bills just added one of the best, if not the best pass rusher in the NFL. Not to be content with adding one pass rusher, the Bills stole another one away from the Patriots to add to the lineup. We are hearing Merrimen might finally be recovered from his achilles problems.

This years defense should go from around 26th in total defense, 19th in pass defense, 28th in rush defense to top ten. Just think if the NY Giants who were 27th in total defense, 29th in pass defense, 19th in rush defense during the regular season can step up and play great in the post season to win the SB ...mostly with that dominating pass rush. The Bills have a chance have a solid shot to dominate all year if they can stay healthy.

The offense got better with the addition of a new LT and speed WR. The QB's finally have a coach who can teach them proper fundamentals and technique.

It will all come down to injuries and depth.

or in twenty weeks will we feel foolish for not seeing 3-8 coming

really though its the players that have to stay humble and take it one game at a time. we as fans can do anything we want. so if you want to proclaim 19-0 or ralph is cheap thats your right

anything can happen especially in a city with the indian curse hanging over our heads but it sure feels like this is going to be a season to remember. hopefully its in a good way

"by virtue of outscoring their opponents". Is it possible to not outscoring your opponent and still win?

There are only two people in the world who could do something that amazing...Tim Tebow and Chuck Norris. :ph34r:

No, this is not a negative thread. Actually the diametric opposite.

Let me explain. In every thread since the draft we find the obligatory "it's only on paper", "we have good parts, let's see if they work together", "I don't want to get too excited", "slow your roll", disclaimer posts, or defense mechanism posts, whatever. I'm talking EVERY SINGLE THREAD. It's as if there is some regulation somewhere, that requires these disclaimers, and some regulator, watching every thread to ensure they are present. Kinda like the small print on commercial that ends with "Not available in NY and CA".

Therefore, in order to comply with this regulation :lol: posters seem compelled to insert these disclaimers: "Not valid until at least 8 weeks into the season". :lol:

But, if we look, and I mean really look, at the team, the schedule, the way we played last year, who and how much was added vs lost, right now...are we being idiotsTM with these disclaimers? Or, rather, are we going to be saying "Why didn't we see 3-1, and then 6-2, and now 10-2 coming from a mile away? If another team had done what we'd did this off-season, we'd have picked them to win the SB, not just compete for the 6th seed."

Are we so shell shocked/numbed due to the last 10 years(the last time we were GAed to have a shot at the wildcard in preseason) of awfulness, that we can't be objective about it?

Understand, I'm not accusing anybody of anything, nor am I saying posters aren't justified in feeling any way they want. I think they've earned that.

I just wonder, are we all, including me, being idiotsTM about this? 20 weeks from now will we be asking ourselves, WTF were we thinking?

This isnt new. I'm only 20 and I have been a fan my whole life, following them closely for about 5-6 years now (Since i was 14, props to Teen insight). Anyways, every year I always get excited in the offseason, especially reading these boards that "next year will be our year." I think we have all become homers for this organization. I sometimes go to the other afc east forums, and everyone, EVERYONE, thinks they are going to make the playoffs. Which gets me thinking... how are we any different. And every year, we think we are gonna be good or make the playoffs but we go below .500. I dont think I remember a winning season for the buffalo bills. That being said, go bills

But, if we look, and I mean really look ...

Yes lets take a really good look ...

... at the last 12 years of sucking balls

... at the Nix-Gailey regime with a record so far of 10-22

... at a 9 overall, and first pick of the current regime, RB who hasn't found the field except when injury forced the issue.

It would be bizarre if most people did not temper their optimism about the upcoming season.

This past off season should have even the most skeptical of Bills fans hopeful for this season and the future.

In my opinion Nix hit a home run ... defensively ... this off season. And the team should reap the rewards this year.

But, again in my opinion, there is still a fair amount of work to do on the offensive side of the ball.

If Nix can do for the offense next off season what he appears to have done for the defense this year then I would think the koolaid will be flowing like the water over Niagara Falls this time next year. But until then, guarded optimism is reasonable.

Not that I would mind looking back while watching the Bills play in NO in February happily thinking how wrong I was now however ;)

-

Every Bills fan knows that when things are looking good it's just a matter of time before the wheels fall off. I hate it but that's the way it is. This team has a big monkey on its back and there is only one way to get rid of it. Stomp the livin crap out of the son of a @%&*@.

Edited by bmur66

I don't see why you wouldn't get the security mechanism first. What's the point in investing all that money into the thing if it gets stolen?

I think I caught the second Back to the Future in a marathon on ABC Family so I got the reference. Pretty good movie, wish I was able to catch the first one and stay up longer for the third.

EDIT: I bet all the nerds reading this on here are having nerdgasms. :lol:

They might also be correcting us: "Look at these nubes, using just plutonium. Every body should know it's a 65% uranium, 45% plutonium mix. And 1.21 gigawatts!?!? That would blow the entire thing up, the electrical flow should be at a steady 1.15 gigawatts. These guys are so dumb, no wonder they're Bills fans! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol::worthy:

Oh, trust me, Fitz is no where close to the same league as Eli. When I read how their stats were "similar," I almost had tears dripping down my pants laughing. I'm just saying that Eli beat good teams and then lost to the Seahawks and almost lost to us and then went back to beating great teams.

Eli didn't personally beat anyone. The Giants beat teams. Wins and losses for a quarterback is about as low brow of an argument that you can make.

I would rather be pleasantly surprised and dealing with someone (who's likely an idiot no matter what the Bills' record is) shouting 'I told you so' at 110 decibels in early 2013 than drowning in disappointment in late 2012.

Of course, my emotions will probably involve the first approach for a few Sundays, before giving way to exuberance, rational or irrational.

kj

Eli didn't personally beat anyone. The Giants beat teams. Wins and losses for a quarterback is about as low brow of an argument that you can make.

Yet when we get into a conversation about Fitz, you, along with many other people, are quick to point out that Fitz threw 23 INT and that he was a big part of the Bills losing 7 straight games.