AP Source: Redskins QB Griffin target of extortion

im pretty sure the allegation in the extortion is that hes gay.

im also pretty sure we got off the rails and people are now arguing that kim kardashian is infested with stds.

i may be wrong, but i think its morphed into two different topics.

That's the rumor.

And, as I said in the OP, not that there's anything wrong with that.

This kid really is to be admired in every way. Academic accomplishments, athletic abilities, he stays out of any kind of trouble. It's sad that there are some people who skulk around and do this kind of stuff hoping to get their mealy fingers on a little bit of money in exchange for remaining silent about something that shouldn't have to remain quiet.

If the rumors are true, I think RG3 can handle it with as much class as he's done everything else and be a pioneer for a community that has been (understandably) pretty afraid to reveal itself in pro sports.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the rumor.

And, as I said in the OP, not that there's anything wrong with that.

This kid really is to be admired in every way. Academic accomplishments, athletic abilities, he stays out of any kind of trouble. It's sad that there are some people who skulk around and do this kind of stuff hoping to get their mealy fingers on a little bit of money in exchange for remaining silent about something that shouldn't have to remain quiet.

If the rumors are true, I think RG3 can handle it with as much class as he's done everything else and be a pioneer for a community that has been (understandably) pretty afraid to reveal itself in pro sports.

What will be tough is he already has the weight of the world on his shoulders - the pressure of being a poster boy for this might not be good for his career. On the flip side, being himself and getting big support could be the best thing for him. Hard to say how anyone woreact rap with so many moving pieces (how the locker room reacts, fans, media, etc....)

don't want to perpetuate these 'horrific' :unsure: rumors, but I would be interested to see how the NFL players feel about such issues...i get that a few years ago it was a completely different mindset, but I think so many of these guys have grown up in an era where this is more accepted.

What will be tough is he already has the weight of the world on his shoulders - the pressure of being a poster boy for this might not be good for his career. On the flip side, being himself and getting big support could be the best thing for him. Hard to say how anyone woreact rap with so many moving pieces (how the locker room reacts, fans, media, etc....)

don't want to perpetuate these 'horrific' :unsure: rumors, but I would be interested to see how the NFL players feel about such issues...i get that a few years ago it was a completely different mindset, but I think so many of these guys have grown up in an era where this is more accepted.

These guys have also grown up in locker rooms which is not a forward thinking environment. And a lot of them don't come from communities known for their open mindedness. It would be an interesting process.

Many players and many fans would react negatively. Extremely negatively. But it needs to happen at some point because I can't imagine how many gay athletes have hidden in the shadows for all these years.

IF the rumor is true, then RG3 is in a position to be the next Jackie Robinson. He'd just need to be strong enough to handle all the inevitable ****.

Many players and many fans would react negatively. Extremely negatively. But it needs to happen at some point because I can't imagine how many gay athletes have hidden in the shadows for all these years.

IF the rumor is true, then RG3 is in a position to be the next Jackie Robinson. He'd just need to be strong enough to handle all the inevitable ****.

You don't find that a bit ridiculous?

Well that may not be a direct parallel, but he has a point. The first openly gay football player will likely take a lot of crap for it, especially from ignorant fans in opposing stadiums much in the same way Jackie had to deal with racist slurs and stuff like that. He, however, would be the first to break the barrier. Once it is out there in the public, perhaps more gay athletes will come out and not have to hide it their whole career.

The real issue here should be that we are all perpetuating a rumor at this point which could very likely be untrue. Some people will say/do anything for money. <_<

Well that may not be a direct parallel, but he has a point. The first openly gay football player will likely take a lot of crap for it, especially from ignorant fans in opposing stadiums much in the same way Jackie had to deal with racist slurs and stuff like that. He, however, would be the first to break the barrier. Once it is out there in the public, perhaps more gay athletes will come out and not have to hide it their whole career.

The real issue here should be that we are all perpetuating a rumor at this point which could very likely be untrue. Some people will say/do anything for money. <_<

Oh come on so what? Fans scream at Brady he's a fag all the time. I mean a real barrier- We will not hire blacks. period. I will show you the back door. If fan's don't like it, well it's there money.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Oh come on so what? Fans scream at Brady he's a fag all the time. I mean a real barrier- We will not hire blacks. period. I will show you the back door. If fan's don't like it, well it's there money.

The first openly gay professional athlete will receive death threats on a daily basis, particularly if he's a star-level player.

It's funny how you cite the 'Brady's a fag' thing - an insult that's only considered an insult because people think it would be shameful.

i think at this point i am more discussing the hypothetical idea of a gay star qb drafted high but the point is valid that we may be enforcing a rumor.

If you think fans yelling "brady, he's a fag" is the biggest barrier to being a gay football player, than that is just silly. This might not be a close comparison like the last poster said, but it isn't ridiculous.

Also, the whole assuming he is gay is a little too premature. It can be a number of things.

I hope he is gay. I hope he is strong enough to endure the downfall. Society is disgusting.

To compare him to Robinson is fine. Come to NC and you will feel the hate that LGBT's feel. It is disgusting.

I must admit, I've never understood the relevance of this reference to homosexuality. Can anyone explain?

My guess is that it's just something out of the norm. Most people are heterosexual; most people chip from the rough.

I find it ridiculous that you find it ridiculous. I'm not sure what that means, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I think you're both opening yourselves up to a lot of ridicule.

And just so I can spread the rumor accurately (there's nothing worse than an erroneous rumor), are we now united in saying that RGIII contracted an STD while having unprotected homosexual sex, and was therefore extorted?

I think you're both opening yourselves up to a lot of ridicule.

And just so I can spread the rumor accurately (there's nothing worse than an erroneous rumor), are we now united in saying that RGIII contracted an STD while having unprotected homosexual sex, and was therefore extorted?

With Kim kardashian, in the future.

Then yes, you have this thread covered