5 in 5 out

natas

5 in, 5 out is too many.

That's what almost every analyst says when they look at the fact that 5 different teams usually make the playoffs and every year they've been proven wrong. Not saying there's no possibility that less than 5 different teams will make the playoffs but it's just what happens every year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what almost every analyst says when they look at the fact that 5 different teams usually make the playoffs and every year they've been proven wrong. Not saying there's no possibility that less than 5 different teams will make the playoffs but it's just what happens every year.

If I HAD to 5 in 5 out this year, I'd have to move Broncos and Texans out. I can't change the NFC.

I'd replace the Broncos with Chargers and Texans with Raiders.

Edited by Astrobot

As a fan, we have every reason to believe that the playoffs are an eventuality with one caveat. Fitzpatrick has to get better with his turnovers.

I keep hearing this but I really don't think it's as big of a problem as people make it out to be. A large percentage of Fitz's INTs last year came with the Bills down by double digits with him trying to make something happen. Fans always criticize QBs who "play it safe" when their team is down big when they should really be pushing the ball trying to make things happen (think Holcomb.) But when a guy does just that he gets ripped for too many turnovers.

If the Bills D can do their job - and they should - I see no reason why Fitz won't play it closer to the vest and be fine with just punting the ball instead of pressing to make plays.

I keep hearing this but I really don't think it's as big of a problem as people make it out to be. A large percentage of Fitz's INTs last year came with the Bills down by double digits with him trying to make something happen. Fans always criticize QBs who "play it safe" when their team is down big when they should really be pushing the ball trying to make things happen (think Holcomb.) But when a guy does just that he gets ripped for too many turnovers.

If the Bills D can do their job - and they should - I see no reason why Fitz won't play it closer to the vest and be fine with just punting the ball instead of pressing to make plays.

I've thought about this but if that is his problem he'll get less INT regardless and make it seem like he improved over the offseason.

I usually leave it alone unless they say it's completely Fitz' fault and no one else's.

Edited by Teen Insight

The problem with your point here is that it's just factually inaccurate. Let's look at last year as an example, shall we?

Fitzpatrick had a total of 23 interceptions. Off the top, 3 were when the team was ahead. Absolutely no excuses there. 4 more came when the team was dead even. Again, no excuses. 5 came when they were within one score of tying the game or taking the lead. Right there, more than half of his interceptions came when the Bills were ahead, even, or not far behind like you suggest. In fact, he only through 3 interceptions when the game was 2 scores or more away. I watch all the games too and he has some things that won't simply be fixed because of the defense. Heck, Fitzpatrick even said it himself in terms of the QB coach and what he's learned so far.

The Bills beat the Pats last year with an injured Kyle Williams, rookie Marcell Dareus (who had no rookie minicamp, OTA's, minicamp & a shorten camp), and no pass rush. Add in Mario Williams and Mark Anderson and a healthy Kyle Williams, is there any doubt that the Bills could beat the Pats again and have a legitmate shot at winning the AFC East?

They HAD a pass rush in game last year at home. The coaches planned for Brady saying he would get ball out to fast but blocking the passing game and get their hands up and the Bills defense did that tipping balls. Pass Rush != Sacks or otherwise teams playing against us had no pass rush.

4-12, 6-10...

I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic.

But it's hard not to get excited when we've made the additions we have, and we had that great 5-2 start before being killed by key injuries.

But still. We haven't shown we can perform for a full season yet. We had two "good" half seasons (4-4 two years ago, 5-3 last year), so it seems possible...

*crosses fingers*

4-12, 6-10...

But it's hard not to get excited when we've made the additions we have, and we had that great 5-2 start before being killed by key injuries.

But still. We haven't shown we can perform for a full season yet. We had two "good" half seasons (4-4 two years ago, 5-3 last year), so it seems possible...

*crosses fingers*

Good post.

It's logical and sensible to expect a linear progression but as you know, that's not always how it works.

I remember numerous naysayers on this forum asking why other teams can go from worst to first and the Bills can't.

I don't think it's silly at all to expect this team to double their win total and go from worst to first (in 3 seasons instead of 2).

The problem with your point here is that it's just factually inaccurate. Let's look at last year as an example, shall we?

Fitzpatrick had a total of 23 interceptions. Off the top, 3 were when the team was ahead. Absolutely no excuses there. 4 more came when the team was dead even. Again, no excuses. 5 came when they were within one score of tying the game or taking the lead. Right there, more than half of his interceptions came when the Bills were ahead, even, or not far behind like you suggest. In fact, he only through 3 interceptions when the game was 2 scores or more away. I watch all the games too and he has some things that won't simply be fixed because of the defense. Heck, Fitzpatrick even said it himself in terms of the QB coach and what he's learned so far.

So after all that all you did was prove his point, that 16 of Fitz's 23 INTs came when the Bills were behind.

PTR

So after all that all you did was prove his point, that 16 of Fitz's 23 INTs came when the Bills were behind.

PTR

I was thinking that too. My guess is if you looked at the NFL total picks thrown last year, probably two thirds of them were thrown when the team was behind, which puts Fitz right around the norm as far as being aggressive, maybe a little on the risky side. He had some tipped balls too that weren't his fault.

Hey either way, the bottom line is our offensive personnel are pretty much identical to last year's opening day squad but our defense is going to be tougher and bigger and faster than it's been in a long time. So we'll see how much a killer D-line and a new defensive scheme brings to a team.

How many days til the Jets? We need a counter on this site....

I looked up a total of four games - the 2nd NE game, the 1st Miami game, the Dalas game the San Diego game. In those four games alone (the only four I bothered looking at) I found 9 Fitz INTs which came when they were behind by more than 1 score. 3 in the NE game, 2 in the Miami game, 3 in the Dalas game and 1 in the SD game.

If you want to talk about factually inaccurate you should start with your post. No clue where you got your stats but I knew they were off given what I remember of last season. I'm sure if I looked into more games I'd find more.

EDIT: I just found 2 more in the other Miami game.

SO IN THOSE 5 GAMES ALONE FITZ HAD 11 INTS WHEN THE TEAM TRAILED BY MORE THAN 1 SCORE. That's nearly half of his total for the season. I think I can safely say my point was a valid one.

Edited by MDH

THANKS!

I try to look at our lineup from a non-biased position but every time I start to dissect this Buffalo Bills team all I can see is a team that will be very tough to beat.

The defense should be wowing everyone right from the start and that means that the offense will get the ball more, which means less pressure and more points.

Brady is at his weakest when he is pressured and boy is he going to be pressured.

We should be right in the mix for the division ... would love to see January games at THE RALPH!!!

You mean because we have a superstar QB and an experienced healthy offensive line to protect him? Or do you mean because in a passing league we have multiple weapons at WR?

I'm excited too but let's not forget this team has holes and warts. Usually a superstar QB can help a team cover up some of those deficiencies. Maybe we are the 49ers of this year and a superstar defense covers up a below average QB.

THANKS!

I try to look at our lineup from a non-biased position but every time I start to dissect this Buffalo Bills team all I can see is a team that will be very tough to beat.

The defense should be wowing everyone right from the start and that means that the offense will get the ball more, which means less pressure and more points.

Brady is at his weakest when he is pressured and boy is he going to be pressured.

We should be right in the mix for the division ... would love to see January games at THE RALPH!!!

so weak armed Fizt wont have to play from 28 down in the first every week and have to put up 38-45 to stay in the game and then we B word about the QB and the offense when 37 isn't enough

so weak armed Fizt wont have to play from 28 down in the first every week and have to put up 38-45 to stay in the game and then we B word about the QB and the offense when 37 isn't enough

Bad D, injuries, Fitz broken ribs, bad officiating, anti-Buffalo bias by the league ... there never seems to be a shortage of reasons/excuses for teams with losing records. At least "bad D" should not be on the list this season, should a list be required.

Bills still need a TRUE #2 WR, A pass covering/run supporting OLB, a playmaking TE, and the OL to gel... do we already have these in the cupboard? I'm not sure we do, but we have all of camp to find out. Hopefully, "IF" there are better pieces out there to get (starters/depth), we get them soon. I still think we're a year out, but I'd like to hit next years draft with no true NEEDS, but rather BPA across the board.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/59862/video-5-in-5-out-buffalo-bills

herm talks about bills breaking playoff drought

we must bill13ve!!!!!!!!!!

The Only way is if we're dominant. We have to bring our A Game to ALL 6 Divisional Games. Don't give up and Play the Hardest these guys have ever played. If they do that. We have a chance at the playoffs...

4-12, 6-10...

*crosses fingers*

Yeah Let's see if the Bills show up in November and December. That's when you really need to Peak!!!

I really believe the Patsies* are vulnerable. Obviously they still have Brady so he can hide many of their flaws. However, their defense has sucked and they have a limited run game. If, a big if, Brady shows any decline in his game they fall like a house of cards. The Bills are capable of beating them twice this year.

PTR

But not far behind (double digits) as posted. You're not playing desperation football when you're down by 1 score. Simple point if you can wrap your brain around it.

I looked up a total of four games - the 2nd NE game, the 1st Miami game, the Dalas game the San Diego game. In those four games alone (the only four I bothered looking at) I found 9 Fitz INTs which came when they were behind by more than 1 score. 3 in the NE game, 2 in the Miami game, 3 in the Dalas game and 1 in the SD game.

If you want to talk about factually inaccurate you should start with your post. No clue where you got your stats but I knew they were off given what I remember of last season. I'm sure if I looked into more games I'd find more.

EDIT: I just found 2 more in the other Miami game.

SO IN THOSE 5 GAMES ALONE FITZ HAD 11 INTS WHEN THE TEAM TRAILED BY MORE THAN 1 SCORE. That's nearly half of his total for the season. I think I can safely say my point was a valid one.

Look at the situational stats on CBS Sportsline. You don't have to go to the game logs to figure this stuff out. It's all provided right in front of you.

This hit me when I was replying to your comment on one of the other threads (sorry, BTW, sometimes the nerd with OCD inside me comes out uncontrollably :lol:), where's the other 8 INT? I only count 15. :huh:

Edited by Teen Insight