Wimbledon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like it's been forever since I've seen my girl Ana Ivanovic...she's a hottie

She was on the cover and had a photo spread in an issue of one of my tennis magazines in high school. Those pictures graced the inside of my sports locker at school for quite some time :wub:

She was on the cover and had a photo spread in an issue of one of my tennis magazines in high school. Those pictures graced the inside of my sports locker at school for quite some time :wub:

You have excellent taste in beauty, my friend.

Caught ta little of the Tsonga-Hewitt match this morning. Hewitt's definitely lost a couple of steps. But Tsonga could be primed for something within the next couple of years, even being On par with Nadal, if he can reach the next peak WRT fitness... and most of that being court speed. He's got amazing reaction time with some highlight-reel volleys and stuff where you're like 'How did he do that?!' but it's just a matter of how they say... the difference between quickness and speed.

Caught ta little of the Tsonga-Hewitt match this morning. Hewitt's definitely lost a couple of steps. But Tsonga could be primed for something within the next couple of years, even being On par with Nadal, if he can reach the next peak WRT fitness... and most of that being court speed. He's got amazing reaction time with some highlight-reel volleys and stuff where you're like 'How did he do that?!' but it's just a matter of how they say... the difference between quickness and speed.

Ain't gonna happen with Tsonga. History has shown that if a player hasn't shown significant progress in the majors by the very early 20s, it is impossible to break through to the top. Pretty much all players who took residence on the top 4 floors of men's tennis had either reached a major semi finals or finals by that age. Tsonga is not going to do anything in the next two years, especially not with a younger Djoko and (about same aged) Nadal playing as they are right now.

I played tennis a lot a long time ago.Still, I don't feel I am qualified to comment on the game itself.

However, I will as an observer only can say, I have never seen a woman tennis player who doesn't have great legs!

TELL me about it :blush::blush::blush:

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fp_5841555_williams_serena_brj_100410.jpg

Edited by BmoreBills

The 13th-seeded Gilles Simon really stepped in it this morning....

Simon doesn't like equal prize money in tennis

Some are saying that the women have more rallies per point. Bullstevestojan.

My response on the page: (Honestly, I normally don't comment on Yahoo stories because it's sewer-like in there)

Women's points last longer? In what world?

Quick search in Google Books... in "Women's Tennis Tactics" written in 2007 by Rob Antoun. To wit on page 45.

"This objective [neutralizing the first serve] is assuming an even greater importance as the length of rally in the women's game continues to shorten. In an interesting study, Peter O'Donoghue and Billy Ingram analyzed the average length of rally in women's tennis in 2001. In their study of the four Grand Slams, they found that the average number of shots per rally was 7.0 at the Australian Open, 8.6 at the French Open, 5.8 at Wimbledon, and 6.8 at the U.S. Open. However, more recent expert opinion suggests that the average length of rally is getting shorter and that in some cases, women's rallies are now shorter in length than men's (which averaged 5.2 in 2001 and hasn't significantly changed since)."

My opinion... Mr. Simon has a point. (By the by, he reportedly tied for the highest average of rallies per point at 5.3 at last year's French). The men are out there longer, they expend much more energy, serve faster, have higher draws WRT attendence.... We don't have to get into the minutiae, but there's an easy solution they've talked about for years: make the Slam events best of 5 for both women and men. End of argument.

No doubt --- and by this I mean there's NO DOUBT --- Mr. Simon is going to either be kicked off or decide to resign his new seat on the ATP Player's Council. Because heaven knows they can't allow a dissenting opinion / judgment that has basis in the facts and inequity on almost every measure of the balance scale of the (singles, at least) men's game vs. the women's.

Edited by UConn James

Caroline getting upset by that Austrian. Didn't see that coming but that's why its called an upset.

Women's tennis is in a terrible place right now. Bunch of model-wannabes with flittering dedication to the craft. It is ripe for a couple of super-motivated women to step in and dominate the sport. Every sport needs some good rivalries to make it interesting. Men's tennis is going through one of the best eras where women's is the opposite.

Women's tennis is in a terrible place right now. Bunch of model-wannabes with flittering dedication to the craft. It is ripe for a couple of super-motivated women to step in and dominate the sport. Every sport needs some good rivalries to make it interesting. Men's tennis is going through one of the best eras where women's is the opposite.

Don't hate them because they're beautiful.

Seriously, I think it's a great era for women's tennis. An awful lot of competition. Unlike say, men's tennis that has three (two and a half?) dominant players and the rest that compete for fourth place.

Don't hate them because they're beautiful.

Seriously, I think it's a great era for women's tennis. An awful lot of competition. Unlike say, men's tennis that has three (two and a half?) dominant players and the rest that compete for fourth place.

Well mens tennis just lost a competitor in Nadal (or is he the half?)

No, I considered Federer the possible 1/2. Yeah, pretty shocking, clearly the upset of the year, and possibly the past two or three years. I wonder what odds the London bookmakers had on that match.

I looked up he bookmaker odds. Hard to tell, but looks like between 69 and 101 to 1. Not a bad payday.

Edited by Max Fischer

Watched that on ESPN3. Crazy. Rosol caught Nadal having an off day. When he broke Rafa in the first game of the 5th set, after the roof-closure delay, it's like Nadal was just thinking about what he was going to say to the media. Rosol was hitting like a madman too, to be fair --- returns were clocked in the mid-90s. He must've been working off endorphins there. Wonder whether it will affect his next match e.g. blowing his wad and having nothing left.

Frankly, it had been an off day for myself as well. All day, stevestojan just kept going wrong.

Seriously, this has been the longest day EVER.

Well that majorly sucks. I didn't get to see the match, but sounds like, as James said, the guy was hitting some bombs. That's the thing about Wimbledon more than any other major...if you are a tall guy and show up with a huge serve, you can find success here. Goran Ivanisovic had a very limited game, but every year at Wimbledon he would show up and just start dropping service bombs all over people. Mark Philopousis (sp?) was another example. Not a great all-around game, but he can serve up some monsters. Roddick is a better all-around player with a big serve, but he doesn't have it upstairs.

Anyway, this is really a bummer...I just hope someone takes out Federer.

Lots of top seeds getting smoked so far. Nadal, Federer was on the ropes before gutting one out, Wozniaki, now Maria gets ousted.

With his half of the draw pretty much cleared, this has to be Andy Murray's best chance to fulfill on being the Great British Hope. If he can't do it this year, he's not going to get a better shot. And to my eyes, I don't think he's on; just a body-language thing.

Lots of top seeds getting smoked so far. Nadal, Federer was on the ropes before gutting one out, Wozniaki, now Maria gets ousted.

With his half of the draw pretty much cleared, this has to be Andy Murray's best chance to fulfill on being the Great British Hope. If he can't do it this year, he's not going to get a better shot. And to my eyes, I don't think he's on; just a body-language thing.

I sort of feel bad for the Brits...they are clearly some of the best, most supportive tennis fans in the world, and England is the home to what is easily the greatest championship in the sport. Yet they are perennially teased with the likes of Tim Henman and Andy Murray year after year at Wimbledon. I would say it's akin to being a Bills fan, but it's more like being a Browns fan...they don't endure heartbreaking loss after loss when it's all on the line, they never quite get to the finals to begin with. They basically settle for being vigilant as to which foreign players pay the tourney the most respect and who are the most gracious winners, in lieu of being able to celebrate a champion of their own.

Murray and ferrer are playing an amazing match right now. Both sets went to tie breaks and it's 1-1. I'm rooting for Murray to at least make the finals and depending on who he would play maybe to win the whole thing.