Wimbledon

The last bastion of American tennis continues her battle - Serena Williams on the verge of another Wimbledon final. I have disliked her uncouth attitude in the past but got to say, I will be rooting hard for her just 'cos she is an American and represents the bygone era of dominating women tennis players

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Djokovic is really crapping the bed here at the end of the third and early into the fourth set...if he can't pull this out, Federer will win another damn Wimbledon :thumbdown:

I find it boring when there isn't a wild card in the semi-finals of the mens; you can pretty much guess who will win and I don't like most of them.

The final is going to be completely lame...like leading a lamb to slaughter.

Then again, if this semi-final keeps on the way it's going, lookit the head-to-head.

That definitely gives me some hope, but Federer is much more vulnerable on other surfaces. On grass he's nearly unstoppable unless up against Nadal or Djokovic. I would love to see Murray win it for the Queen, but I fear it will be Federer lifting his leg and marking his territory once again.

This is serious, I need to get to the docs. I know I have a slight fever but I fear for my mind and that my perception of reality is failing...

Nope, there still is an English champion at Wimbledon. Definitely need to make an emergency appointment.

This is serious, I need to get to the docs. I know I have a slight fever but I fear for my mind and that my perception of reality is failing...

Nope, there still is an English champion at Wimbledon. Definitely need to make an emergency appointment.

I guess it's nice to end a drought, but...

people care about doubles?

So far there are some big problems with Murray's game...he's benefited from some uncharacteristic mistakes by Federer, and that won't last. Also, Murray HAS to get to the net. You aren't going to win this match playing from the baseline. To make matters worse, his passing shots are awful. On a positive note, his serve looks to have a lot of pace and for the most part his ground strokes have been solid. His aggression is good, but if he can't play a complete win he'll come up well short.

I really can't stand Federer. He's like the Patriots of tennis.

This is so frustrating. Murray all of a sudden decides to go to the net toward the end of the first set and he ends up winning it. Then in the 2nd he establishes a high percentage of net points won, but he's only going to the net half as often as Federer...makes no sense. Murray has GOT to get off the damn baseline...this isn't the French Open!!

That was a hard fall that Murray took. Later in the match, its gonna show how much of a difference maker that fall was.

Yeah, the replay indicated it was worse than I thought...I think this match is over...Federer just broke him after like 10 deuces, so he'll likely finish out the set and go up 2-1...will be very hard for Murray to take two more off of him at this point. Was a valid effort, though...he has done better than I expected.

So far there are some big problems with Murray's game...he's benefited from some uncharacteristic mistakes by Federer, and that won't last. Also, Murray HAS to get to the net. You aren't going to win this match playing from the baseline. To make matters worse, his passing shots are awful. On a positive note, his serve looks to have a lot of pace and for the most part his ground strokes have been solid. His aggression is good, but if he can't play a complete win he'll come up well short.

I really can't stand Federer. He's like the Patriots of tennis.

Curious about this. He seems like a consummate gentleman and professional to me. Granted, it would be fun to see some underdogs actually win a grand slam.

Curious about this. He seems like a consummate gentleman and professional to me. Granted, it would be fun to see some underdogs actually win a grand slam.

He's a complete baby when he loses and an arrogant jackass when he wins. If you watch his speech on-court after the win today, instead of being a gracious winner (which he feigns, to his credit), he starts talking about his accomplishments. If you're ASKED about them, that's fine. But for him to start going on about how he's now tied with Pete Sampras as having won the most Wimbledon titles and how he has regained the #1 spot in the rankings. It would be like Tom Brady getting up there on the podium with Goodell after winning the SB and, without being prompted, talking about how awesome he is for having won the MVP award and how he's likely going to be viewed as one of the greatest QBs in history after winning 3 championships. The guy puts on a facade well, but he's nothing but a gloating, arrogant prick...in my opinion :)

EDIT: Looks like it's this guy's opinion, too....and he states the case with plenty of examples of Federer's douchery: http://www.murraysworld.com/columns/article/20600/

EDIT2: Looks to be Ofiba's opinion, too :lol:

Edited by ajzepp

He's a complete baby when he loses and an arrogant jackass when he wins. If you watch his speech on-court after the win today, instead of being a gracious winner (which he feigns, to his credit), he starts talking about his accomplishments. If you're ASKED about them, that's fine. But for him to start going on about how he's now tied with Pete Sampras as having won the most Wimbledon titles and how he has regained the #1 spot in the rankings. It would be like Tom Brady getting up there on the podium with Goodell after winning the SB and, without being prompted, talking about how awesome he is for having won the MVP award and how he's likely going to be viewed as one of the greatest QBs in history after winning 3 championships. The guy puts on a facade well, but he's nothing but a gloating, arrogant prick...in my opinion :)

My favorite Roger cry baby routine is when he complained when Djokovic came back to beat him after hitting a risky return shot at match point. Here's the quote.

"Some players grow up and play like that. I remember losing junior matches and being down 5-2 in the third and they start slapping shots and they all go in for some reason. That's the way they grew up playing when they were down. I never play that way. I believe hard work's going to pay off. [...] So for me this is very hard for me to understand how you can play a shot like that on match point. But maybe he's been doing it for 20 years. Maybe for him it's very normal. You'll have to ask him."