• Brian Moorman
    • Jarius Byrd
    • Andy Levitre
    • Kraig Urbik
    • Donald Jones
    • Bryan Scott
    • Shawne Merriman
    • David Nelson

I was thinking about our free agent situation next year and decided to do some research. We have 21 set-to-be-free agents. 15 are back-ups, 6 are starters according to the buffalobills.com depth chart.

I saw on here a few weeks ago that Levitre and the Bills are talking about extending his contract so I was wondering who else we should extend before the season starts. I think qualifications for receiving an extension is a player who has been a factor lately or someone who might have a break-out year (to avoid other teams from stealing them away from here after the season).

So after looking at all 21 players in there contract year, I chose 9 players that could have an outstanding year/have been producing over the past few years. All 6 starters and 3 back-ups that could easily be starters (Nelson, Merriman, and Scott) made it on the poll.

The first persons we should try to extend are Levitre, Byrd, and Nelson. Levitre should be regular Levitre (which is great). Byrd could get more interceptions then he had when he was a rookie so we should extend him now before he might want to go look at other offers. Nelson could do well in the slot where he has played in most of the spring workouts.

Players on the bubble would have to be Bryon Scott and Moorman. Bryon is a really good player when he plays linebacker on obvious passing downs. Plays that come to me is the interception in the Pats game (I think his INT was the turning point of the game), the pick 6 in Cincinnati, and I think he forced a fumble in San Diego that he recovered in the end zone. Moorman has been declining slowly and I guess the new punter we brought in is supposed to be really good.

Everyone else I should let play out there contracts. Donald drops passes and Leodis doesn't defend them and Merriman, is well, Merriman; we need to see if he can withstand being touched by a lineman before we give him the money.

So answer the poll (choose multiple answers if you like) and discuss down below. B-)

Edited by Teen Insight

I think Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, and Urbik are the most likely to stick around. I also put Merriman and Jones, but that's because I didn't read the question well enough to see you meant "re-sign before the season starts." I think those two will actually have very solid years, especially Jones. I think he will surprise a lot of people this year.

McKelvin will be gone, and I think Moorman may be on his last leg (nyuk nyuk).

By extend, I assume you mean sign this off-season rather than waiting until the end of the season. Guy's like Levitre and Byrd have proven themselves and should be extended. I wouldn't mind waiting (and paying a higher price) should guys like Nelson, Jones, and Merriman continue to succeed in this system over the next six months.

I think Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, and Urbik are the most likely to stick around. I also put Merriman and Jones, but that's because I didn't read the question well enough to see you meant "re-sign before the season starts." I think those two will actually have very solid years, especially Jones. I think he will surprise a lot of people this year.

McKelvin will be gone, and I think Moorman may be on his last leg (nyuk nyuk).

Agree with the first four. I would sign in this order Levitre, Byrd, Urbik and Nelson. Levitre is too versatile to let go.

Andy Levitre is a player we absolutely have to keep. He's our best O-Lineman. Let's hope these early talks lead to an extension before the season starts.

Jairus Byrd has been an improved and solid player for us. He's become a much better tackler than when he was a rookie, and he has a nose for the ball.

David Nelson will never be a starter IMO, but he makes plays, is a good blocker and can be relied upon to make that jump ball catch. He's not the fastest WR on the team, but he is a valuable asset.

Kraig Urbik is the one player on the O-Line who gets overlooked. I have been very pleased with his play, and this will be a big year for him. I would love to see him remain with the team and keep this core group of young linemen as a growing unit on this team.

Shawne Merriman is the big question mark. Everything we are hearing so far is that he is ready to bounce back in a big way. Are we really going to get the Merriman of old this year? I would be willing to keep him, and just hope that he can avoid injury.

McKelvin was always pretty solid in coverage, but has absolutely NO ball skills. If he can use his speed and athleticism and excel in covering the slot then I think he wouldn't be bad to keep around. Although, put him in a jump ball situation and he's toast.

Almost all of them at the right price. Only Byrd, Levitre and Urbik are worth locking up now.

I wouldn't expect Moorman or Merriman to see much interest in FA so if Buffalo wanted to keep them it shouldn't cost much.

I picked all but McKelvin, but I do hope the guy breaks out and proves me wrong. I also picked Shawn Merriman, I have a little blind faith that he is going to be a monster this year.

If he does, i doubt they will be able to re-sign him. They already have a ton of money invested in D-line.

Byrd, Levitre are the most important. Urbik would be nice, and if his salary matches his play average to solid, then yes resign him.

The rest are crap shoots. Its all about what they and their agents think they are worth vs what Buffalo does/can afford.

I would think Nelson and Jones will be RFA, s and not UFAs, so they can be tendered and protected. But I am not 100% on that. Levitre will get done, Byrd I think needs to prove it this year..can't see him getting done till after the season.

I would extend Byrd and Levitre before this season and wait on the other guys. The way I look at it, it comes down to who's replaceable and who's actually showed that they can contribute for a full season and at a high level. With that said, it also depends on the question of how much. At the right price, I would extend any other player on that list. However, there couldn't be a lot of guaranteed money in the deal (incentives?) and there would have to be a way to still dump them if they didn't play well this season. So I guess that's another question for the group really. It's not just whether you extend them now, but how much they would have to pay to do so. Some of these guys (Merriman) may actually want to play for their contract if they feel like they've returned to form.

I would think Nelson and Jones will be RFA, s and not UFAs, so they can be tendered and protected. But I am not 100% on that. Levitre will get done, Byrd I think needs to prove it this year..can't see him getting done till after the season.

Byrd is going to be a top 5 safety at the end of this year

What is so great about Levitre? Decent Guard but struggled at LT and C. I'd prefer Urbik because at least he can move to Center if needed.

Levitre is a solid gaurd. I do not put him on the same level as Grubbs or Nicks, personally. But he will get paid good money. 5 years 23 mil with half gauranteed would be fair. He has been versatile from a health stand point. He is a good interior lineman and that contract would reflect such.

Byrd will command a little more if he has another solid year. he was involved in 6 turnovers last season. 3 int 3 forced fumbles. This plus his 2009 9 int year, will have some teams wanting to bid for his services if he hits the open market. Bills should try to extend these two during the season.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

What is so great about Levitre? Decent Guard but struggled at LT and C. I'd prefer Urbik because at least he can move to Center if needed.

Levitre is a pretty good guard, IMHO. I think he is decent at C too; I don't remember him getting pushed back into the QB and manhandled overall. He sucked at LT, though. It's easier to go inside than to go out.