Government at its finest

Another view, by the one and only, Mark Steyn

Blood Money

By Mark Steyn

June 25, 2012

The account of a traffic fatality in South Carolina is perplexing in many ways. For example, is it customary for the deceased to be charged with having his own blood washed off the asphalt?

I had to pay to have the vehicle towed,” she said. “I had to pay for the vehicle removed and to clean up the street from Justin’s blood on the ground.”

Robinson [the victim's mother] said that was the bill that stung the most – paying $50 to have the street cleaned.

First of all, having to open the mail and look at the charge to the deceased, Justin Darryl Walker — the deceased! It’s just a hard thing to deal with in the context of your child,” she said.

The headline chooses its words carefully:

"After Drunken Driver Kills Son, Mother Billed For Cleanup"

Drunken driver”? .................The perp, Anna Gonzalez, is an illegal immigrant who has been driving in the United States without a license for 12 years.

Does WYFF Channel 4 share Ms. Gonzalez’s blithe disdain for the tedious business of acquiring a valid driver’s license? Judging from the way the key facts about Ms. Gonzalez are withheld until the antepenultimate paragraph, one would almost get the impression WYFF is cool with illegal immigrants driving illegally as long as they make sure they’re sober when they run over the natives.

Mark Steyn

This is not surprising. In order to maintain our competitive edge, we have emulated the example set by the Chinese. In China, its common practice to summarily execute a man for crime and then send the family of the deceased an invoice for the bullet used (~3 yuan). It sounds like a minor expense, but given the jaywalking epidemic in most of coastal China, it adds up. $50 for street cleaning sounds like no big deal, but someone has to pay, and with budget constraints, theres no more free rider. We still have to offset roadkill related street cleaning too, so those costs are capitalized into the drunk driving, murder, and other automotive related street splatterings. Until we can find a more effective way to tax deer, opossums, raccoons, and other animals which haven't sense enough to get out of the way the burden will increasingly fall on us.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/After-drunken-driver-kills-son-mother-billed-for-cleanup/-/9654794/15178974/-/pm6im3/-/index.html

•  
  • Woman's son killed by drunk driver
  • Local government bills woman $50 to clean her dead son's blood off the street

Challenge it in court. I can think of two arguments that would easily get that bill tossed.

Only gonna get worse when private contractors are running the show.

"All duties as assigned."

"You're on duty... Go clean up the blood."

Anyway... I didn't check into the workings of this S. Carolina town... Do they even have in-house gov't road crews that can handle it... Or are they all contracted out?

Whoever decided sending that bill was a good idea should be shot in the gut and left to bleed out.

Who sent the bill? Gov't office worker? Couldn't she/he just have called streets and sanitation and done it in-house... Better yet, go out and do it themselves! Or is that all contracted out? Do you think Joe's Street Cleaning Service is gonna do it gratis?

Not surprising this happened in a southern state.

Who sent the bill? Gov't office worker? Couldn't she/he just have called streets and sanitation and done it in-house... Better yet, go out and do it themselves! Or is that all contracted out? Do you think Joe's Street Cleaning Service is gonna do it gratis?

Joe's street cleaning service would be contracted by the city and would therefore bill the city. You think Joe's going to inquire as to whose blood he's cleaning up and make sure his mom gets the bill?

Case in point. I am gov't worker... If somebody dies here and splatters blood all over the lockwall... Who do you think is gonna clean it up? My supervisor is gonna tell someone on first shift tomorrow to go grab the power washer and wash it off? We are on the clock: "all duties as assigned."

And yes... We have a power washer.

It COULD be some sort of pro-forma thing that they have to bill it so they can write of the expense down the line, and some idiot computer system stuffed an envelope because somebody forgot to switch the flip [sic].

Case in point. I am gov't worker... If somebody dies here and splatters blood all over the lockwall... Who do you think is gonna clean it up? My supervisor is gonna tell someone on first shift tomorrow to go grab the power washer and wash it off? We are on the clock: "all duties as assigned."

And yes... We have a power washer.

Are you going to send the corpse's mom a bill?

Joe's street cleaning service would be contracted by the city and would therefore bill the city. You think Joe's going to inquire as to whose blood he's cleaning up and make sure his mom gets the bill?

Not talking about that. This shouldn't be a billable item if the city had the proper staff (and tools) on the clock? Why don't they? Heck they can store the power washer and hook up to a fire hydrant at the police station and get one of the cops to clean it up... They are on the clock! Same with roadkill, I see cops passing roadkill all the time... Don't they have a clean-up kit in the trunk of their cruiser?

Are you going to send the corpse's mom a bill?

No. I will do it myself you freaking dolt!

It COULD be some sort of pro-forma thing that they have to bill it so they can write of the expense down the line, and some idiot computer system stuffed an envelope because somebody forgot to switch the flip [sic].

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clean the freaking blood up. I just got in a wreck last weekend with my Jeep... You know who was sweeping the charcoal that spilled from the gas vapor recovery... THE COP!

Call the police station and get the power washer over... Heck, the fireman are less busy... Get them!