Idiots of the day

Kids get bad sunburn while on a school-sponsored field trip:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/school-sunscreen-policy-blamed-sending-girls-hospital-article-1.1101567

"Children in all states except for California are not allowed to apply or bring sunscreen to school, ABC News reports, partially because it is considered a medication."

:blink:

Heard that on the radio this morning

So when the kids get skin cancer are tehy going to be allowed to bring their medication to the school or will that also be banned? Its funny cause growing up, they always told us to bring sunscreen when we went on field trips and were going to be out in the sun for long periods of time

Heard that on the radio this morning

So when the kids get skin cancer are tehy going to be allowed to bring their medication to the school or will that also be banned? Its funny cause growing up, they always told us to bring sunscreen when we went on field trips and were going to be out in the sun for long periods of time

I thought you were Canadian. If so the last sentence of your post is nonsense.

My daughter's pre-school makes a point of letting us know that they are not allowed to administer sunscreen, but I had never heard of the kids not being allowed to administer it themselves. An 11 year old can't put on their own sunscreen?? Yet another victory for those who vote for big government.

My daughter's pre-school makes a point of letting us know that they are not allowed to administer sunscreen, but I had never heard of the kids not being allowed to administer it themselves. An 11 year old can't put on their own sunscreen?? Yet another victory for those who vote for big government.

Cute, but this has less to do with elected officials and more to do with school liability and parents.

Children cannot apply the block to themselves unless they have a doctor’s note as the district considers sunscreen an over-the-counter medication requiring prescription.

“Because so many additives in lotions and sunscreens cause an allergic reaction in some children, we have to really monitor that,” Voelpel told ABC.

If you can get the parents to promise they wont sue if a mistake is made, then maybe we can get back to the good old days. I'm also sure there are insurance rules that have caused this rule.

It is now the American Way to litigate and "cash in" on any accident or mistake, no matter how small. When that is the general attitude, it handcuffs schools and other agencies into not allowing anything, in order to protect themselves. Much like Goodell going hard at the bounty scandal for no other reason than to protect the NFL from future litigation.

As far as I know the determination is made by the school district, not the state.

Still insanely stupid.

Why did the kids not go in the shade? Why didn't the kids raise a fuss? Why not even call the police?

Its sad we raise our kids like lemmings and expect an educator to truly care. There are good teachers and bad teachers but kids need to be taught to look out for themselves.

Btw. These are bad teachers.

I'm not sure about 11 year olds but 14/15 year olds eat the sunscreen :sick:. I have no faith in my generation. :cry:

Cute, but this has less to do with elected officials and more to do with school liability and parents.

If you can get the parents to promise they wont sue if a mistake is made, then maybe we can get back to the good old days. I'm also sure there are insurance rules that have caused this rule.

It is now the American Way to litigate and "cash in" on any accident or mistake, no matter how small. When that is the general attitude, it handcuffs schools and other agencies into not allowing anything, in order to protect themselves. Much like Goodell going hard at the bounty scandal for no other reason than to protect the NFL from future litigation.

WE sue when coffee is too hot, now we are gonna sue the Sun too

WE sue when coffee is too hot, now we are gonna sue the Sun too

Tying this together with the ranting against parents Ive been doing in the "bus monitor" thread, and this thread, here is a prime example:

http://prd34.blogspot.com/2012/06/wireless-waste.html

Portland Public Schools has wasted $172,000 in court, defending itself against a lawsuit from a parent who claims that the wifi provided by the school is harming his daughter.

Welcome to School Administration in modern America. :rolleyes:

Tying this together with the ranting against parents Ive been doing in the "bus monitor" thread, and this thread, here is a prime example:

Portland Public Schools has wasted $172,000 in court, defending itself against a lawsuit from a parent who claims that the wifi provided by the school is harming his daughter.

That hurt my feelings

I'm not suggesting that filing a parent lawsuit was a good decision, but I'm open-minded about whether long-term exposure to low levels of electromagnetic radiation can have serious health effects. I suspect there's a lot we still don't know about it with any certainty.

At one time quite a few years ago, there were studies that found exposure to cell phone radiation safe, but the studies were sponsored by companies with a vested interest in that result. I don't know the current state of such research - - but I do know that most research that tries to predict the health effects of long-term exposure to low levels of most anything is typically filled with lots of assumptions.

Remember when the tobacco companies claimed that there was no scientific proof that smoking could cause cancer?

FWIW, this link shows that the parents' concern may not be totally looney-tunes:

http://www.waysideacademy.com/about-us/in-the-news/34-second-school-unplugs-wi-fi-over-health-concerns

Similar concerns by a hospital:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/994377/toronto-hospital-is-first-to-recognize-symptoms-from-wireless-radiation

I'm not sure how much a kid's total daily dose of electromagnetic radiation increases if his school installs WiFi (probably not much, given all the other sources of it), but I can understand the parents' concern.

I'm not sure how much a kid's total daily dose of electromagnetic radiation increases if his school installs WiFi (probably not much, given all the other sources of it), but I can understand the parents' concern.

Maybe he should home school his precious kid, then.