Europe will never learn

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/world/europe/europe-court-says-sick-workers-can-retake-vacations.html

For most Europeans, almost nothing is more prized than their four to six weeks of guaranteed annual vacation leave. But it was not clear just how sacrosanct that time off was until Thursday, when Europe’s highest court ruled that workers who happened to get sick on vacation were legally entitled to take another vacation.

World Twitter Logo.

Connect With Us on Twitter

“The purpose of entitlement to paid annual leave is to enable the worker to rest and enjoy a period of relaxation and leisure,” the Court of Justice of the European Union, based in Luxembourg, ruled in a case involving department store workers in Spain. “The purpose of entitlement to sick leave is different, since it enables a worker to recover from an illness that has caused him to be unfit for work.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow vacation caused the economic crisis? really?

i thought it was the banks... oh well... :wallbash:

you are looking in the wrong direction man...

Once again, nothing of the sort was mentioned in the article or by the OP, so we can only guess as to who and what you're responding to.

Once again, nothing of the sort was mentioned in the article or by the OP, so we can only guess as to who and what you're responding to.

He only has one brain cell, what do you expect?

WTF. Just when you think those Euros can't get any nuttier.

I have five and it just isn't enough :lol:

Edited by meazza

Damn I need to get 6 weeks vacation. 6 weeks vacation is...that's damn good...that's life altering... Especially if I could get sick for a week in the middle of it.

Edited by TheNewBills

Learn what? The work till you drop mentality of the US? Good, I hope it never does. I prefer to work to live rather than live to work.

Funny because, from what I noticed when I was over in Italy, most of them work all !@#$ing day and barely scrape by and then proudly boast how they aren't like Americans/Canadians who are a slave to their employer.

So in reality, they are deluded.

Funny because, from what I noticed when I was over in Italy, most of them work all !@#$ing day and barely scrape by and then proudly boast how they aren't like Americans/Canadians who are a slave to their employer.

So in reality, they are deluded.

Obviously, conditions vary from country to country in Europe. The Nordic nations, for example, have very long holidays and usually come out near the top in any "quality of life" surveys, and yet their economies are actually doing pretty well. All I am saying is that the idea that having a healthy work/life balance has to be bad for productivity is very far from the whole truth.

Obviously, conditions vary from country to country in Europe. The Nordic nations, for example, have very long holidays and usually come out near the top in any "quality of life" surveys, and yet their economies are actually doing pretty well. All I am saying is that the idea that having a healthy work/life balance has to be bad for productivity is very far from the whole truth.

I don't think anyone is arguing that.

I'm betting the disagreement is on defining a healthy work/life balance, and defining the level of productivity desired.

With holidays included I get 5 1/2 weeks per year.

B-)

The purpose of entitlement to paid annual leave is to enable the worker to rest and enjoy a period of relaxation and leisure.

The purpose of entitlement to holiday leave is different, since it enables a worker to celebrate holidays by forced interaction with extended family and shopping.

The purpose of entitlement to paid annual leave is to enable the worker to rest and enjoy a period of relaxation and leisure.

The purpose of entitlement to holiday leave is different, since it enables a worker to celebrate holidays by forced interaction with extended family and shopping.

So !@#$ing true

:lol:

I don't think anyone is arguing that.

I'm betting the disagreement is on defining a healthy work/life balance, and defining the level of productivity desired.

Well, it's pretty hard to know exactly what DaveInElma was arguing since all he did was link to the article with the single statement "Europe will never learn".

Well, it's pretty hard to know exactly what DaveInElma was arguing since all he did was link to the article with the single statement "Europe will never learn".

yeah, i think you drew a reasonable conclusion. how many of you take all of your vacation? when self employed, i never had any "paid" vacation. now i get 6 weeks including continuing education. as June comes to an end i've used 3 personal days and 3 education days. last year i used less than 1/2 of my days. i've read this is very common. i'm beginning to think we're all crazy for doing this.

I figured it had something to do with French-Algerians being bad...

He only has one brain cell, what do you expect?

I have five and it just isn't enough :lol:

So do I and no it isn't enough.....but I don't think running an entire continent on people's desire to work less is a very smart strategy.

So do I and no it isn't enough.....but I don't think running an entire continent on people's desire to work less is a very smart strategy.

What's vacation?

I have three weeks a year. It's too much. I get bored too damn easily on vacation.