Poor *Wealthy* bus attendent in Greece, NY.

boyst

OK, this woman now has close to half a million bucks and a free vacation.

I think its safe to say whatever pain and suffering she endured has been compensated for in full.

If you still feel you need to give money to a good cause, there are a million charities out there that take care of people who have suffered a lot longer than 15 minutes.

Edited by RkFast

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its safe to say whatever pain and suffering she endured has been compensated for in full.

If you still feel you need to give money to a good cause, there are a million charities out there that take care of people who have suffered a lot longer than 15 minutes.

Yeah, but we didn't see their suffering on YouTube so it isn't as important.

Now this, I agree with. I'm hoping that a good portion of the cash raised for her does end up going to charity, but we'll seee. Im not even convinced she's going to get the money from the fundraiser as it is. At this point, the fundraiser is just masturbation so people can feel better about themselves, but they arent really helping anything. I could list 100 better places to send money, from cancer and illness charities, charities for the poor, and animal rescues.

I could list 100 better places to send money, from cancer and illness charities, charities for the poor, and animal rescues.

Are you sure????

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/us/animal-charity-investigation/index.html

NO ONE is really safe to donate to unless you know you can trust them.

Are you sure????

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/us/animal-charity-investigation/index.html

NO ONE is really safe to donate to unless you know you can trust them.

Yes. Positive. Off the top of my head...

http://www.atlantahumane.org/

http://www.americanpitbullfoundation.com/

http://www.badrap.org/

http://www.animalrescueassistance.org/

http://www.buffalopugs.org/

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/

http://www.rescuemeanimalproject.com/

The trick is finding the local rescues, being run by regular people out of the goodness of their heart. Giving to the SPCA is a nice thought, but much like giving to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer charity. Most of the money goes to promoting the charity and not solving the problem.

The places I have listed would be thrilled if you showed up with just a big bag of dog food.

Edited by DrDareustein

Yup. It's what happens when you raise an entire generation to believe they're delicate little snowflakes.

Another unintended consequence of living in an insulated world: http://ideas.time.com/2012/02/10/why-american-kids-are-brats/

I had a friend walk up and put a bag over the head of a first year teacher. She walked out and never came back. That was more than 35 years ago.

Yes. Positive. Off the top of my head...

The trick is finding the local rescues, being run by regular people out of the goodness of their heart. Giving to the SPCA is a nice thought, but much like giving to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer charity. Most of the money goes to promoting the charity and not solving the problem.

It just makes me very angry to know that some places are so underhanded... great list!!! :thumbsup:

I have 4 cats :)

Edited by BmoreBills

next week, photo's on tmz and national inquirer of monitor and four involved children, from Greeks Islands on Beach having wine and cheese chortling at their good fortune, America outraged vowing to be ruthless and unkind of all in future... :o

( it seems this way at times, just when you think you seen and heard it all, something comes along to one up it)

There are clearly more important causes out there, but it's absurd to view the success of this fundraiser as a value judgement of some sort. I've heard this discussed on talk radio at least three times in the last 24 hrs, so it's pretty obvious that the amount of money raised is a function of awareness, nothing more. I keep seeing people talking about how it's ridiculous that people donate to the bus monitor but not to the girl who has cancer or some other more serious situation. C'mon, people.

There are clearly more important causes out there, but it's absurd to view the success of this fundraiser as a value judgement of some sort. I've heard this discussed on talk radio at least three times in the last 24 hrs, so it's pretty obvious that the amount of money raised is a function of awareness, nothing more. I keep seeing people talking about how it's ridiculous that people donate to the bus monitor but not to the girl who has cancer or some other more serious situation. C'mon, people.

I was all for support. It was heartwarming and a nice thing for folks to do. Its over the top now. Shes banked close to 600K so far and a free vacation becuase a bunch of kids on her bus got mouthy with her (and she did nothing about).

Its wonderful that she got some support, but if people right now have a burning need to be generous, there are other places and people that need help A LOT more than this woman.

Somewhere right now a Wounded Warrior who did three tours in Mosul is reading the Karen Klein story and thinking to himself "Really???"

Its about priorities.

Edited by RkFast

Sorry man, it's just too absurd for me to feel warm & fuzzy about. It sucks that she had to sit through that, but if that's the worst thing that ever happened to her she's had a pretty sweet life. The lack of perspective on display with runaway emotion leaving logic at the starting point bothers me.

Sorry man, it's just too absurd for me to feel warm & fuzzy about. It sucks that she had to sit through that, but if that's the worst thing that ever happened to her she's had a pretty sweet life. The lack of perspective on display with runaway emotion leaving logic at the starting point bothers me.

My point is that obviously the only reason she's gotten this much attention and this many donations is because of how many people became aware of the story. The amount of money raised isn't a function of how important people feel the issue is...it's a function of the degree of awareness in terms of the number of people who heard about the situation. People seem to be reacting to the amount of money raised in comparison to what other charitable options may receive (or don't receive), and that has nothing to do with it at all.

My point is that obviously the only reason she's gotten this much attention and this many donations is because of how many people became aware of the story. The amount of money raised isn't a function of how important people feel the issue is...it's a function of the degree of awareness in terms of the number of people who heard about the situation. People seem to be reacting to the amount of money raised in comparison to what other charitable options may receive (or don't receive), and that has nothing to do with it at all.

great point, aj. donations and messages have been coming in from as far as UK/Europe. this is the scope of the internet. not how "important" the cause is.

What an amazing twist it would be if she called a press conference, and while announcing that all of the proceeds were being donated to deforestation, animal experimentation, and fascist organizations, she bursts out laughing and screams "thats right, I'm a total B word!"

great point, aj. donations and messages have been coming in from as far as UK/Europe. this is the scope of the internet. not how "important" the cause is.

Exactly. Nobody is saying that a military vet in need or a child with cancer is less important than some woman who gets harassed by some snotty nosed kids.

It bothers you that thousands of people, many of whom were probably victims of bullying at one point or another, felt bad for her and kicked $10 her way, ostensibly for a vacation so she can get away from that rolling hell pit for a few weeks?

The whole point of this story is the emotional connection it elicited in such a large number of people. It is neither about, nor does it require a cool headed logical analysis by the people donating THEIR OWN money. You suggesting they complete a comparative study of the myriad charities out there before deciding to give this woman a couple dollars?

Funny how all the conservative wonks from PPP are suddenly so interested in how other people spend their own money. Wounded vets OK, emotionally abused elderly widow grandma not OK. Get over yourselves.