Poor *Wealthy* bus attendent in Greece, NY.

boyst

Agreed there. When I first saw the list, I thought about sending a prank call to the kids. But then I realized Im an adult, and sent Karen a nice, supportive message on Facebook instead. :thumbsup:

Someone will take it too far. They almost always do now. I miss the old days where parents/schools could and would take care of these things on their own.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point, and I agree that posting the parents' coworkers information was EXTREME...

BUT, I take major issue with "people commit suicide nowadays from getting harassed on facebook." FALSE. People commit suicide nowadays either because a.) they have pre-existing psychological issues or b.) said psychological issues have manifested themselves from the kind of synthetic self-esteem we've imposed on our youngsters from doling out participation trophies and--yes--banning bullying.

There isn't a level-headed adult out there that wouldn't admit to having benefited from getting their ass beaten around a time or two growing up. Or may be you can't personably relate, but I'll bet you've met a person who COULD benefit from getting tossed around and knocked down a peg or two...

Wow, tangent.

POINT: we can't bubble-wrap ourselves, it leads to bigger problems than the ones we foolish try to preempt. And if you can't deal with being bullied on facebook, then somebody somewhere failed you.

Facebook gives people another way to harass people. I guess thats what I meant I should have worded that better. At least before facebook, home was a place to get away from bullying at school, now it can just be sent with the click of a button. Youre right tho, its not because of facebook.

Agreed there. When I first saw the list, I thought about sending a prank call to the kids. But then I realized Im an adult, and sent Karen a nice, supportive message on Facebook instead. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Facebook gives people another way to harass people. I guess thats what I meant I should have worded that better. At least before facebook, home was a place to get away from bullying at school, now it can just be sent with the click of a button. Youre right tho, its not because of facebook.

:thumbsup:

That's totally fair.

I'm firmly of the belief, though, that there's far more danger in hiding than confronting the danger itself.

I dont care what those kids did. "Outing" minors on the internet with the intent for harm to be brought to them and exposing the personal info of the lady in the video is absolutely vile.

Except that by exposing her information, she has received thousands of supportive, positive messages, and the "Vacation Fundraiser" is currently at ~$263,000. A nice retirement fund if she chooses to accept it. But most will probably go to charity. Dont see anything wrong with any of that.

That's totally fair.

I'm firmly of the belief, though, that there's far more danger in hiding than confronting the danger itself.

Thats fair too. I just cant imagine the backlash these kids are receiving right now. Parents and co workers of the parents. Some information just shouldnt be released.

It just bugs me that many peoples reaction to harassment is more harassment. Meanwhile those same people are saying well why didnt anyone stand up for her? Does harassing a bunch of 13 year olds over the internet really going to fix this? I'm not saying what you said is wrong, in fact I agree its better to face the music sometimes, this could get way ugly tho and that scares me

Thats fair too. I just cant imagine the backlash these kids are receiving right now. Parents and co workers of the parents. Some information just shouldnt be released.

It just bugs me that many peoples reaction to harassment is more harassment. Meanwhile those same people are saying well why didnt anyone stand up for her? Does harassing a bunch of 13 year olds over the internet really going to fix this? I'm not saying what you said is wrong, in fact I agree its better to face the music sometimes, this could get way ugly tho and that scares me

And now that the parents are aware of all of this, shouldn't they be given the chance to correct it first before facing their own wave of pranks and harassment that is coming their way?

I think your point is completely valid. But I'd also add that there are many out there--myself included--who think this whole "war on bullying" is equally paradoxical, and others still--most of whom are probably a part of the 4chan community--who think the whole the idea is totally bunk.

So, they're not faced with the philosophical quandary you've presented, but in some twisted way, they may end up having more of an impact on a problem they don't even believe exists in the first place!!

I think your point is completely valid. But I'd also add that there are many out there--myself included--who think this whole "war on bullying" is equally paradoxical, and others still--most of whom are probably a part of the 4chan community--who think the whole the idea is totally bunk.

So, they're not faced with the philosophical quandary you've presented, but in some twisted way, they may end up having more of an impact on a problem they don't even believe exists in the first place!!

And the cycle continues :oops:

One could easily make the case, though, that the adults were equally complicit.

True

If you dont do your job as a parent, the rest of the world will teach your child even harder lessons eventually. Giving the kids a taste of their own medicine isnt a bad thing. Had they learned respect sooner, this wouldnt be happening. Dont turn those little brats into victims.

Keep in mind that it was those kids that posted it on the internet, for the world to see, because they thought it was funny. Well the internet has responded.

Double lesson here for these punks. 1. Respect your elders. 2. Respect "the internet".

come on - lets be honest - the kids deserved to learn a lesson, but is that a lesson that thousands of people deserve to teach them? its a chance for everyone to dump their own anger on kids for things that happened in their own childhood. if you dont want them turned into victims, you respond with something that doesnt have the potential to victimize them. putting them on 4chan and having the world come down on them is a pretty hardly a responsible way to turn them into better people.

or they end up turning bullys into angry adults that dont have reasonable expectations of how people should be taught lessons and in turn exact that same over kill revenge on anyone that upsets them in the future - because the proper way to teach a lesson is to come back at that person 10 fold.

Edited by NoSaint

Except that by exposing her information, she has received thousands of supportive, positive messages, and the "Vacation Fundraiser" is currently at ~$263,000. A nice retirement fund if she chooses to accept it. But most will probably go to charity. Dont see anything wrong with any of that.

She recevied that through one person who set up a website in support. NOT through organic donations from her PII being posted by anonymous.

Im against child abuse.....but in this case, id be whoopin some ass!! Id tell that little asian bastard to STFU and go make me some Jordans! Those kids make me sick! My son was a victim of bullying at school...a kid would always push him call him names take his things....i sat him down one day and said son....i will never be upset with you for defending yourself....got a phone call at work one morning, my son took care of business himself was expelled from school for a week...never been soo proud of my son!!!

Im not sure how you punish these kids....

Im against child abuse.....but in this case, id be whoopin some ass!! Id tell that little asian bastard to STFU and go make me some Jordans! Those kids make me sick! My son was a victim of bullying at school...a kid would always push him call him names take his things....i sat him down one day and said son....i will never be upset with you for defending yourself....got a phone call at work one morning, my son took care of business himself was expelled from school for a week...never been soo proud of my son!!!

Im not sure how you punish these kids....

Good for you.

Good for your son.

Shame on the school.

Well, either way, these kids are finding out what happens when they "find a stranger in the Alps".

They acted like jerks, and then on top of it, shared it with the world. If some people making up "the world" react uncivilly, there is another lesson learned.

The unfortunate part is that after a few calls, Im sure the parents will turn this around into them and their children being the victims.

Well, either way, these kids are finding out what happens when they "find a stranger in the Alps".

They acted like jerks, and then on top of it, shared it with the world. If some people making up "the world" react uncivilly, there is another lesson learned.

The unfortunate part is that after a few calls, Im sure the parents will turn this around into them and their children being the victims.

Im surprised it hasnt happened it. but frankly if i was their parent/brother sister/ aunt/ cousin/ or even friend I am embarrassed right now

And now that the parents are aware of all of this, shouldn't they be given the chance to correct it first before facing their own wave of pranks and harassment that is coming their way?

Yeah, one day their kids just were a little bit rowdy, you know how kids get. They were just having some fun with the old lady on the bus, I mean, she is an old lady on a bus full of teens...she should know whats coming. These kids were just being kids.

Seriously, I have had enough of people here thinking the parents should have been left to do something. The parents have probably had many times they could have dealt with it, but in my opinion of course, parents just don't give a f*** anymore. They're too busy trying to be "diva's" or stay young and have a "life." When you become a parent your responsibility is not to be the next Real Housewife, it is to raise a kid.

Now, the kids don't need to be bullied but the kids got what is coming to them. This has happened many times, and if you have ever been to the site you know what goes on there. If not, well, don't bother looking. Other similar instances of this are a teenager mollesting a dog and being outed, people abusing animals (remember the person in England who put the kitty in the dumpster?), to my personal favorite Jessi Slaughter. Slaughter was an 11 year old who made vile youtubes, went on to do graphic pictures on the internet, and was then outted, then she and her family tried to fight the anonymous harassing bunch only to lose horribly. Eventually, CPS found out in Florida, interviewed the girl - she was being abused by her dad, her dad was seperated from her and jailed. He eventually had a heart attack, and passed. The story, while not funny, is just more proof that the reality is not always just what you see outside your door.

She recevied that through one person who set up a website in support. NOT through organic donations from her PII being posted by anonymous.

She has received many individual donations.

Edited by jboyst62