TE Talent ?

CSBill

Well, we're not the Patriots, but I'm beginning to like the crew we have assembled at TE. Chandler had the breakout year, and is clearly the number one TE--he will catch 30-40 and will continue to be a big threat in the Red Zone. Smith is just a beast! He scares people when it come to hitting. Brock and Caussin are probably competing for a roster spot--and either seem to be 2nd tier guys who can play when needed. And if the early reviews on Onobun and Dickerson are any indication, we may have two huge surpize contributors in them (although I expect that Fendi O is headed for the practice squad).

Bills Article

Buffalo New on Dickerson

Your thoughts . . .

Edited by CSBill

I read those articles and was also enthused, but the question becomes one of who makes the roster? I don't think teams generally carry more than three TEs, and Chandler/Smith seem to have two spots locked up. Armani Onabagel is intriguing as an athlete, and probably my hope for getting the 3rd slot.

I suppose the Bills could discard the traditional FB role, which means Dickerson could take that spot (sorry McIntyre).

I read those articles and was also enthused, but the question becomes one of who makes the roster? I don't think teams generally carry more than three TEs, and Chandler/Smith seem to have two spots locked up. Armani Onabagel is intriguing as an athlete, and probably my hope for getting the 3rd slot.

I suppose the Bills could discard the traditional FB role, which means Dickerson could take that spot (sorry McIntyre).

i still think we keep 3, and wouldnt be surprised if the 4th doesnt hit any roster after they are cut. Dickerson and Onabiscuit could both potentially be mid-season signings if we face injury.

Lee smith scares people? lol. Ok....

I think that comes from Metzelaars' comments about Smith as a blocker. He's basically another O-lineman who also has some ball skills.

very intrigued by Dorin Dickerson...VERY

Same here. Watched him at Pitt. Very solid, underrated player. Also, McKillup, the ILB we picked up, will be great on special teams and provide good depth at LB. Another solid former Pitt player that Wanny got. Wonder if he can get Larry Fitzgerald here! :thumbsup:

Possible, but it'd be surprising. McIntyre is essentially the designated special teams player, a la Mark Pike & Steve Tasker (or more recently, Mario Haggan and some other LB I can't remember). The fact that he doubles as a useful lead blocker in short-yardage situations helps his cause even more. The only way I could see Dickerson taking his spot is if Gailey felt comfortable going to the wildcat as his primary short-yardage formation, at which point you have virtually no use for a FB ever. The other factor in this scenario is that Dickerson would have to be at least comparable to McIntyre on special teams.

I really liked the Onobun signing last year on a risk/reward basis, but part of that equation is cutting the guy if he doesn't pan out. I hope he does well, but Dickerson is also intriguing from a pure athleticism standpoint. I think I'll wait until I see these guys crushing 4th-stringers in preseason before deciding whom to root for.

I wouldn't be shocked ot see Brad Smit hget cut to keep him. I just think they both offer a certain uniqueness and not enough snaps i na game to utilize them both, so one gets cut. And I think Dikerson may bring more to the table.

Same here. Watched him at Pitt. Very solid, underrated player. Also, McKillup, the ILB we picked up, will be great on special teams and provide good depth at LB. Another solid former Pitt player that Wanny got. Wonder if he can get Larry Fitzgerald here! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be shocked ot see Brad Smit hget cut to keep him. I just think they both offer a certain uniqueness and not enough snaps i na game to utilize them both, so one gets cut. And I think Dikerson may bring more to the table.

The way Gailey is talking about Brad Smith and what his role will be, I would be stunned if he isn't on the roster. I don't think there's any way he's cut.