Percy Harvin requests a trade

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8076348/report-percy-harvin-requests-trade-minnesota-vikings

He's a dynamic player who lives in the middle of the field. Lets try and get him for a 3rd rounder?

Let's see ... we definitely need a whining and publicly complaining player who has had a series of injuries during the last two seasons that have caused him to miss playing time (hamstring 2010 and abdominal, rib, and shoulder injuries in 2011). He seems to think he deserves a new contract even though two years are left on his original one.

The word from Minnesota is that he's not on the trading block PERCY STAYS PUT but we know that can always change.

The most impressive consistent element of this Bills' team is that they want to play football and they are a team not individuals. Players like Harvin will always be individuals not teammates. Once again, I say let's not pick up some other team's problem child while we have the potential out on the practice field at One Bills Drive.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Umenyiora resigned at the beginning of this month. He was very vocal about his contract issues for the 2 years prior and it was definitely a distraction in the locker room.

I'm not sure why you're assuming we'd have to pay Harvin more than Stevie. If anything, he would get a lesser deal. He is not a #1 wide out and does not play on the outside. He's a slot guy looking to get off of his rookie contract where he is making peanuts.

Obviously Harvin tried the quiet approach and got no where with his negotiations. Fred and Stevie had the benefit of knowing that their contract's were going to be restructured in the off season. Harvin still has 2 more deals left on his. Publicly stating that you're unhappy with your contract is commonplace in the NFL. I'm not sure why you're being so harsh on Harvin. I didn't see anyone criticizing Welker when he publicly complained about his contract situation a month ago.

The only problem with your argument is that he HAS BEEN the defacto #1 WR in Minnesota for the last two years. Regardless, you can wish for Harvin all day and it still isn't going to make it happen. The Bills currently have 12 WR's on their depth chart and in practice. I think they're pretty much done with free agency at this point.

Agree. Even if you ignore his present situation, you have to consider all of his drama in the past. He makes Marshawn Lynch and Travis Henry look like choir boys.

Huh? Lynch hit and ran a girl and rolls around with guns. Henry can't figure out how to use a condom and is in jail trying to be Montana's tony Montana. How is Harvin worse?

And he is a good ball player but I'm not really interested. Too many injuries.

Huh? Lynch hit and ran a girl and rolls around with guns. Henry can't figure out how to use a condom and is in jail trying to be Montana's tony Montana. How is Harvin worse?

And he is a good ball player but I'm not really interested. Too many injuries.

And what did Lynch or Henry do in the locker room? Nothing. Harvin has choked out a coach, refused to participate in practice because he didn't think he needed it, etc. He was a locker room cancer. Sure Lynch and Henry had their issues off the field, but it had nothing to do with football and no impact on the locker room really.

The only problem with your argument is that he HAS BEEN the defacto #1 WR in Minnesota for the last two years. Regardless, you can wish for Harvin all day and it still isn't going to make it happen. The Bills currently have 12 WR's on their depth chart and in practice. I think they're pretty much done with free agency at this point.

Thats not how the NFL works. Find me a slot receiver that has gotten paid more than Steve Johnson did this off season. Wes Welker has been one of the best receivers in the NFL over the past 5 years. Guess what his last contract was? 5 years, $18 million. Welker doesn't make the big bucks because he doesnt stretch the field and is under 6 foot. Harvin is in the same boat.

Sure the bills have 12 WRs on their roster.. but they only have 1 proven guy (stevie) and 1 decent slot option (nelson). Everyone else is unproven or unlikely to even make the team. You cant pretend that harvin wouldn't be an upgrade over everyone except stevie.

Thats not how the NFL works. Find me a slot receiver that has gotten paid more than Steve Johnson did this off season. Wes Welker has been one of the best receivers in the NFL over the past 5 years. Guess what his last contract was? 5 years, $18 million. Welker doesn't make the big bucks because he doesnt stretch the field and is under 6 foot. Harvin is in the same boat.

Sure the bills have 12 WRs on their roster.. but they only have 1 proven guy (stevie) and 1 decent slot option (nelson). Everyone else is unproven or unlikely to even make the team. You cant pretend that harvin wouldn't be an upgrade over everyone except stevie.

You're missing the key point here, and that is what Harvin wants. You can tell me how you think it's going to work, but it won't change Harvin's perception or how his agent approaches it. Oh, and I don't have to pretend anything. The Bills right now are working 12 WR's in camp. They're not actively looking to trade for anyone or looking towards free agency to pick up a player. Pure pipe dream on your part.

One more thing. Harvin doesn't just play the slot. He plays the edge as a deep threat and is also a key element of special teams as a kick returner. They also use him as a rusher (345 yards last year). He's nothing like a Wes Welker.

And what did Lynch or Henry do in the locker room? Nothing. Harvin has choked out a coach, refused to participate in practice because he didn't think he needed it, etc. He was a locker room cancer. Sure Lynch and Henry had their issues off the field, but it had nothing to do with football and no impact on the locker room really.

plus the failed drug test and subsequent suspension at UF

he is considered the poster boy for what was wrong at UF

he even failed his combine drug test

plus, again, he was banned from virginia state high school athletics for having so many issues!

I believe the days of wanting other team's disgruntled players are finally over...

I'm not saying I wouldn't absolutely love Harvin in a Bills uniform, I'm saying its time to groom our own...

I would like to know what it feels like to have 2 or 3 first round draft choices in a draft and the only way that can happen is by having too much talent on one squad and trade one of them for a first rounder...

Patriots as much ad I hate them, that's what they've done this decade... Though they REALLY got lucky for getting what they got for Matt Cassell...

plus the failed drug test and subsequent suspension at UF

he is considered the poster boy for what was wrong at UF

he even failed his combine drug test

plus, again, he was banned from virginia state high school athletics for having so many issues!

In some states, they prescribed weed for migraines. Not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but migraines are no joke.

In some states, they prescribed weed for migraines. Not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but migraines are no joke.

But its more than just weed, and migraines (which are both a big deal) - its a temper and entitlement issues that got him banned from hs sports, and then showed up at UF too. When you look at his track record its SHOCKING he hasnt found himself in much more serious trouble, or that anyone would defend him.

http://thevikingage.com/2012/04/10/percy-harvin-choked-his-receivers-coach-to-the-ground-at-florida/

It was Harvin, more than anyone, who epitomized the climate Meyer created. While former players say Harvin always was treated differently as a member of Meyer’s Circle of Trust, it was the beginning of his sophomore season—after he helped lead the Gators to the 2006 national title—that it became blatant. That’s also when it began to contribute negatively toward team chemistry.

During offseason conditioning before the 2007 season, the team was running stadium steps and at one point, Harvin, according to sources, sat down and refused to run. When confronted by strength and conditioning coaches, Harvin—who failed to return calls and texts to his cell phone to comment on this story—said, “This (expletive) ends now.”

“The next day,” a former player said, “we were playing basketball as conditioning.”

It only got worse as Harvin’s career progressed. At one point during the 2008 season, multiple sources confirmed that Harvin, now a prominent member of the Minnesota Vikings, physically attacked wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales, grabbing him by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Harvin had to be pulled off Gonzales by two assistant coaches—but was never disciplined.

When asked about the Harvin incident, Gonzales—now offensive coordinator at Illinois—said, “I think it’s a little overblown. I mean, every great player wants his voice to be heard.”

Said Meyer: “Something did happen and something was handled. I don’t think it’s fair to Percy Harvin or Billy Gonzales to talk about it.”

Edited by NoSaint

You're missing the key point here, and that is what Harvin wants. You can tell me how you think it's going to work, but it won't change Harvin's perception or how his agent approaches it. Oh, and I don't have to pretend anything. The Bills right now are working 12 WR's in camp. They're not actively looking to trade for anyone or looking towards free agency to pick up a player. Pure pipe dream on your part.

NFL GMs are always looking to upgrade their team through trades and free agency. Sure the bills have 12 WR's in camp, but that doesn't mean they can't upgrade. Also, I promise Harvin doesn't expect to get paid Larry Fitzgerald money.

One more thing. Harvin doesn't just play the slot. He plays the edge as a deep threat and is also a key element of special teams as a kick returner. They also use him as a rusher (345 yards last year). He's nothing like a Wes Welker.

They're both slot receivers, they both contribute to special teams (Welker was very involved as a return man up until 2 years ago), they're both under 6 feet. To say he's nothing like Welker is foolish.

NFL GMs are always looking to upgrade their team through trades and free agency. Sure the bills have 12 WR's in camp, but that doesn't mean they can't upgrade. Also, I promise Harvin doesn't expect to get paid Larry Fitzgerald money.

They're both slot receivers, they both contribute to special teams (Welker was very involved as a return man up until 2 years ago), they're both under 6 feet. To say he's nothing like Welker is foolish.

No it's not.

Welker - 122 receptions for 1,569 all in the slot. 4 carries for 30. 8 punt returns for 82 yards. 0 kick returns

Harvin - 87 receptions for 967 yards in the slot and on the outside. 52 carries for 345 yards. 0 punt returns. 16 kick returns for 520.

These players are used in completely different manners. Welker is purely a slot receiver and rarely used in any other capacity. Harvin is used in the slot, outside, as a ball carrier and as a kick returner. They're vastly different.

No it's not.

Welker - 122 receptions for 1,569 all in the slot. 4 carries for 30. 8 punt returns for 82 yards. 0 kick returns

Harvin - 87 receptions for 967 yards in the slot and on the outside. 52 carries for 345 yards. 0 punt returns. 16 kick returns for 520.

These players are used in completely different manners. Welker is purely a slot receiver and rarely used in any other capacity. Harvin is used in the slot, outside, as a ball carrier and as a kick returner. They're vastly different.

i think the bigger issue being welkers contract thats being used as a comp point is 5 years old and before he proved anything.

i think the bigger issue being welkers contract thats being used as a comp point is 5 years old and before he proved anything.

Very good point as well. It's baffling though that if you actually just watch these two players play how different they are. Welker is a dink and dunk receiver and pretty much that's it. You get the feeling that Harvin can pretty much score any time he touches the ball. He's just so more dynamic.

Very good point as well. It's baffling though that if you actually just watch these two players play how different they are. Welker is a dink and dunk receiver and pretty much that's it. You get the feeling that Harvin can pretty much score any time he touches the ball. He's just so more dynamic.

while i think you are overstating the gap between the two some, i will agree harvin is a more explosive player and welker is a bit more reliable. different but not totally worlds apart to the point they cant be compared.

but again stress that harvin comes with HUGE amounts of baggage.