The Entitlement Mentality

"Great" Huffington Post article that is lionizing welfare recipients and bemoaning the fact that some states actually want to make people self-sufficient. I was surprised that the comments were surprisingly critical-I think people are finally waking up that more government is not the answer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/breakdown-tanf-needy-families-states_n_1606242.html?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl16|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D171339

This passage is telling-

She and Brandon arrived at the welfare office at about 8:30 a.m. They entered the low-slung brick complex and rode the elevator to the third floor. As soon as they stepped into the TANF department, she felt as if they had entered a space engineered for discomfort.

The windowless waiting room contained rows of blue vinyl chairs with prominent rips in the seats. More than a dozen women occupied the space, some with newborn babies in car seats. Toddlers wandered around, some screaming impatiently. The room had no toys, no play area, nothing to occupy the children stuck there for hours.

There they remained until 4 p.m., she said.

"You just sit in the room, with nothing to eat or drink," she said. "If you leave to go get something to eat, you lose your spot."

When their turn finally came, the caseworker treated Gilbert with contempt, she said.

"She told me, 'Why do you even want TANF?'" Gilbert said. "'You look like you make enough money. You don't want to be down here. You shouldn't want it. The $250, that's nothing. You shouldn't even want the money.'"

"They judge you," Gilbert said. "They make people feel bad. They interrogate you like you're a criminal. They look down on you because you're asking for help."

Gilbert eventually secured subsidized childcare, then got a job at a local pizza place, where she earns minimum wage. She has given up on cash assistance. She never even received a response to her application, she says.

Not only should the government pay all her bills but the waiting room should be a fun experience as well.

Rich people bad.

Poor People Bad, I guess?

Maybe you should focus on the article a litle closer. The office was a dump and government employees were encouraging people to NOT sign up.

Edited by B-Large

the idea that one can simply become self sufficient is pretty simple minded. i mean i guess you could live off the grid, but thats not realistic.

we live in a market where some benefit more than others. i think most rational people would agree with that. so obviously when a person is old, and they paid into ss/medicare, 1- its not an entitlement, they actually deserve what they paid for. 2- some people are out of work for whatever reason, sick , recession, market forces, old age, disabled, w/e... should we just let them die?

But those judgemental social workers might hurt somebodies self esteem :o<_<

I think the "welfare office" (which includes Social Security Office these days with the explosino of SSI) should have cameras installed inside and big screen TVs outside so that all the people paying taxes can see who they are paying for.

I think the EBT card should be replaced with sheets of large perforated plastic chips. It should be a burden to carry these into the store. They should be large and brightly colored so that everybody see who carries them. When you're in line you have to break a chip off to have it scanned. When the chip breaks off it should make a loud snap so that everybody in the area is alerted and knows that they are buying your grocieries.

Funds should not be automatically deposited into an account. You should have to go to the office every week. Instead of handing out a check, the office should lock the check in a brightly colored neon orange with green $$$ 10lb bowling ball type safe. This has to be carried out of the office and to the bank for deposit.

It might hurt somebodies self esteem, but it's amazing what a little shame and embarrasment can do to motivate somebody

the idea that one can simply become self sufficient is pretty simple minded. i mean i guess you could live off the grid, but thats not realistic.

we live in a market where some benefit more than others. i think most rational people would agree with that. so obviously when a person is old, and they paid into ss/medicare, 1- its not an entitlement, they actually deserve what they paid for. 2- some people are out of work for whatever reason, sick , recession, market forces, old age, disabled, w/e... should we just let them die?

No one suggested that individuals should be entirely self-sufficient in the manner you describe.

No one claimed that paid programs like SS and unemployment were entitlements, or that these programs should be canceled.

No one suggested that the less fortunate should be left to die.

Who, and more importantly, what are you responding to?

Some would argue private companies could pick up the programs the government currently provides... Do you want a social safety net like SS or private accounts that are in the stock market? hmmm... I like the idea of people being in control of their money, but what happens when honest, hard working but very stupid people lose their retirement funds that used to be SS in the market? their 65, perhaps there is a recession and jobs are tight, maybe they are sick.... yikes, too many of those, do we have the scruples in this country to just look the other way?

I would prefer universal healthcare, and have serious ideas and debates on all the other programs incuding SS to see if they are needed... is theory people could pay for umemployment insurance, disability, life... if they wanted to.... healthcare is the only market IMHO that cannto be served by free enterprise... the people that need your products can't get it no matter how much they pay, that is market failure

I think the "welfare office" (which includes Social Security Office these days with the explosino of SSI) should have cameras installed inside and big screen TVs outside so that all the people paying taxes can see who they are paying for.

Don't we have that already with Youtube? Notice all the smart phones and designer clothes in this welfare office.

I think the EBT card should be replaced with sheets of large perforated plastic chips. It should be a burden to carry these into the store. They should be large and brightly colored so that everybody see who carries them. When you're in line you have to break a chip off to have it scanned. When the chip breaks off it should make a loud snap so that everybody in the area is alerted and knows that they are buying your grocieries.

Funds should not be automatically deposited into an account. You should have to go to the office every week. Instead of handing out a check, the office should lock the check in a brightly colored neon orange with green $$$ 10lb bowling ball type safe. This has to be carried out of the office and to the bank for deposit.

It might hurt somebodies self esteem, but it's amazing what a little shame and embarrasment can do to motivate somebody

you do realize corporate welfare significantly outnumbers welfare for poor people, many of which are poor through no fault of their own...

unreal... why do you want to blame poor people? you have a fed that gives out free money and real wages for normal income hasnt gone up in 40 years.

the delusion is unreal. the left has been asking for a work program for the unemployed for decades. why wont it get done to create full employment???

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

I hate to paint with such a broad brush, but I'd wager 99% of the people you are trying to shame out of using food stamps and other social programs aren't embarrassed by things like that.

If friends, neighbors, relatives are in the same boat and also receiving these types of benefits, why would they be embarrassed about it?

Search Youtube for "Welfare Office" and you'll see the fattest people and they all are wearing designer clothes and have expensive smart phones.

youtube.com/watch?v=LnAvBlSkW9o

e.g.

1- detroit is a food desert. this is a serious contributor to people being overweight in detroit. detroit aslo has the highest amount of dialysis clinics per capita in the country.

2- many people decide to sell drugs, realizing the alternative is being poor or homeless...

3- ooohhhhh those poor people with smart phones and nice clothes. they are soooooo evil. ( wall st crisis of 08 caused it) :blink:

4- i find it very odd you want to blame poor people, and ignore what big finance did... its literally like blaming a teenager for stealing a bike or candybar when ted bundy just murdered your whole family... really?

I hate to paint with such a broad brush, but I'd wager 99% of the people you are trying to shame out of using food stamps and other social programs aren't embarrassed by things like that.

If friends, neighbors, relatives are in the same boat and also receiving these types of benefits, why would they be embarrassed about it?

the very fact that people would blame poor people on this board and shame them for being poor is borderline sociopathic/sadistic...

Search Youtube for "Welfare Office" and you'll see the fattest people and they all are wearing designer clothes and have expensive smart phones.

youtube.com/watch?v=LnAvBlSkW9o

I guess just be glad you don't have to live like that- God Bless America and the fact that ambition isolates you from the barrell bottom