Would you kill a critter

plenzmd1

So i have known that a black rat snake has been living underneath my woodpile for a good two years now. See him every once in a while, but he didn't bother me and i didn't bother him. However, the snake got dumb today and came up on our back covered porch and wifey poo saw him. We have a stone fireplace out there, and above the mantle we have a dead stick type wreath that some birds nest in every year. Wife looked out the door about 3 today..and thsat snake was up there with nothing but one of the birds tailfeathers visable out of his mouth..and this was a good size bird. Damn good lunch if you ask me.

That was all she wrote..she insisted i kill the snake..i pressed..saying when is the last time you saw a mouse around this house???? But she was so scared she would be sitting next to the fireplace and look up and see this snake again she could never be comfortable on the porch again.

Damn, that snake had to a little over 5 foot ..i had no idea he was that big.Still feel bad about killing him..I am not opposed to killing animals as long as you be eating what you kill..but I am not eating this snake.

What would you have done?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have known that a black rat snake has been living underneath my woodpile for a good two years now. See him every once in a while, but he didn't bother me and i didn't bother him. However, the snake got dumb today and came up on our back covered porch and wifey poo saw him. We have a stone fireplace out there, and above the mantle we have a dead stick type wreath that some birds nest in every year. Wife looked out the door about 3 today..and thsat snake was up there with nothing but one of the birds tailfeathers visable out of his mouth..and this was a good size bird. Damn good lunch if you ask me.

That was all she wrote..she insisted i kill the snake..i pressed..saying when is the last time you saw a mouse around this house???? But she was so scared she would be sitting next to the fireplace and look up and see this snake again she could never be comfortable on the porch again.

Damn, that snake had to a little over 5 foot ..i had no idea he was that big.Still feel bad about killing him..I am not opposed to killing animals as long as you be eating what you kill..but I am not eating this snake.

That's not that big for a black snake. I normally just throw them in the barn, they take care of problems in there.

My advice is to call around, see if you can find someoen who'd come grab it and put it somewhere else.

Take the woodpile down this winter, it'll go away.

That's not that big for a black snake. I normally just throw them in the barn, they take care of problems in there.

My advice is to call around, see if you can find someoen who'd come grab it and put it somewhere else.

Take the woodpile down this winter, it'll go away.

i read a while back farmers love those things..but even at 5 foot he scared me a bit i must say.

I'll trade you problems. My wife once tried to pet a cottonmouth. :wacko:

haha..my wife would not be petting any snake :thumbsup:

Tell her you killed it and put it back under the porch. She'll never know. She's already traumatized by seeing it on the porch. She will never forget it, whether its dead or alive.

Edited by Kevin

Call the local animal control and have

them come pick it up. A year ago a possum

got in the house ( real long story) and made

himself comfortable behind the toilet tank

in my master bedroom at midnight!!! I

called them and they were at the house and

gone by 2:00 am.

Call the local animal control and have

them come pick it up. A year ago a possum

got in the house ( real long story) and made

himself comfortable behind the toilet tank

in my master bedroom at midnight!!! I

called them and they were at the house and

gone by 2:00 am.

You live in Texas and don't have a .22? Shamefull.

I'll take It If you don't want It. I need one to clear out the voles that are infesting my yard.

I feel bad for animals like non-venomous snakes that get a bad rap. It's a shame.

NS, those snakes do a lot of good in keeping the real vermin in check.

Personally, I would have done the same thing I do with my wife when she asks me to kill a spider - I capture the spider and take it elsewhere (usually outside or in the garage)

but I'm not killing it as they do a hell of a job keeping the other insects in check.

I would have calmly explained my reservations in killing an innocent and harmless animal, told her that she is being irrational, and then offered to kill the snake but only in return for deviant sexual favors. Leverage.

About a week and a half ago I turned around in the shower, only to come eyeball to eyeball with a cockroach about an inch and a half long, perched on my razor that's suction-cupped to the tile.

I ran out of the bathroom screaming, naked as can be, with the water still running.

If I ever came across a five-foot snake, I'd probably go into cardiac arrest.